Respect the Classics: Sally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: Sally

We love Cars... we love the Porsche... Many of us aren't fond of attorneys, but my favorite lawyer, Sally Carrera, is an exception... Voiced by Bonnie Hunt in the Cars movies, Sally is a beautiful, vibrant Car... she wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of California and broke down in Radiator Springs... once fixed up, she decided to stay... When Sally first met Lightning McQueen, it was definitely a hate relationship... but throughout the rest of the movie, it turned out it was love.

After McQueen got lost, he ended up tearing up Radiator Springs... Doc Hudson was going to send McQueen on his way, but the Radiator Springs attorney, Sally Carrera, insists that McQueen be given community service to repave the road... Doc begrudingly agrees... and the rest is history... Sally eventually allows Lightning to stay at her hotel, the Cozy Cone.

(Photo used by permission of GotFrank... Thank you, GotFrank)

Now that Toys R US is re-releasing many of the classic Radiator Springs Cars and playsets, I hope that one day we'll see Mattel release a Cozy Cone playset... but I'm not going to hold my breath.

In Cars, Sally has many great lines... one of my favorites is:
    "Well, I create feelings in others that they themselves don't understand, and blah blah blah blah..." In this article, we'll take a look at the Car that created those feelings in me (and others), Sally.

Sally

Unlike some of the Cars from the movie, Sally has really only been released in 3 basic formats... Above we see the Sally single... First released in the Desert Back 12 series, we see Sally as a standard Porsche... Sally was also released as a single in the Desert Back 16 series, Supercharged Series, and World of Cars series...

Here's the cardback from the DB12 Sally:

DB16 Sally:

Supercharged Sally:

Sally was also released in a Movie Moments with Cruisin McQueen... Here's an International carded Night Skyline version:

The Movie Moments was also released on Supercharged and World of Cars cardback... I'm not sure I have photos showing those cardbacks.

Sally has also been released in many boxed sets... One of the first and more rare ones was the Desert Back Super 6; I don't have that set... Sally was released with Doc Hudson in a Mack Transport during the Desert Back series:

Sally was released in many boxed sets in the Supercharged Series... 2 of the ones I currently have are Courtroom Crew:

and Radiator Springs Gift Pack:

Sally is also included in 3 Supercharged boxes sets that I currently do not have:

Cruise Night - with Mater, Sheriff, Doc Hudson, Ramone (purple) and Crusin McQueen.

Cruisin Couples - with Lightning McQueen, Flo, and Ramone (purple)

Meet at Flo's 7 pack - with Radiator Springs McQueen, Lizzie, Sheriff, Doc Hudson, Ramone (yellow) and Flo... this has been on my wants list for several months... I did purchase one earlier today and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail... I'll add photos after I get it.

As I didn't really start collecting with gusto until the end of the Supercharged series, I have gone back and added boxed sets to my collection a little bit here and there.

Sally was also released as an Easter Egg special during the Supercharged series... I never got this single.

During the World of Cars era, Sally was released infrequently... as a single, she was number 48... I'm not sure I have a photo of Sally as a WOC single... Sally was also released as a Lane Mate (short card) single in the WOC series... I never bought that one... by then I decided it wasn't possible to collect them all.

Sally was released in one boxed set in the World of Cars series... The Dirt Track Challenge 5 pack also included Dirt Track McQueen, Doc Hudson, Flo and Ramone (purple).

In the Race O Rama series, Sally was not released as a single... She was released in a new version of the Dirt Track Challenge 5 pack which was a Toys R US exclusive, and she was released in a Mack Transporter package along with Radiator Springs McQueen:

In the Night Skyline series, Sally was released in a 4 pack that was available only at Walmart on Black Friday 2010... 3 4 packs were released that day; Sally was in a 4 pack with Mater, Sarge, and Ramone (purple):

Sally was also released as a lenticular Car in 2 different series... In one, her eyes opened and closed... in the other, they moved side to side...

Here's the first carded lenticular version of Sally (eyes open and closed):

(Photo used by permission of Fillmore1234... Thank you, Fillmore1234)

Here's the Night Skyline lenticular version of Sally (eyes moved side to side):

Sally was also released in a lenticular 3 pack with Wet McQueen and Red... I bought this for a friend - I may not have a picture.

So far Sally has been released once as a Cars2 item... She is one of 7 vehicles in the Radiator Springs Race 7 pack which is a Target exclusive in the US but has also been found in Australia.

Sally had a much smaller role in Cars2 than she did in Cars.

Sally with Cone

The next unique release of Sally was Sally with Cone... It was available twice as a single... World of Cars Sally with Cone was in a special case W that was only available at Walmart stores... I found it at 2 different Walmart stores and bought at least 12 of them; I'm down to 2 or 3...

This WOC Sally with Cone also turned up on a clip strip at Tesco in the UK... I did receive one of these from Rippers a few years ago.

Sally with Cone also appeared in the Race O Rama series as a Lane Mate (short card)... I only found this at one Big Lots store; the Lane Mates weren't as popular as Mattel had hoped... most people were just collecting Cars, not Cars and cardbacks.

In addition to the cone, this version of Sally also included a raised spoiler on the back where we can also see a pinstriping (tatoo)... Here's a picture:

If you ever happen to see Sally with Cone at a store at retail price, I encourage you to purchase her.

Snow Day Sally

Sally has also been released once in a Mater Saves Christmas 6 pack... Snow Day Sally features Sally wearing a nice headset (ear muffs)... the other Cars in that set include Reindeer Mater, Christmas Crusier Ramone, Decked Out Doc Hudson, Holiday Hotshot Lightning McQueen, and Holiday Spirit Sheriff... Here's the 6 pack opened:

Snow Day Sally was also released as a single; I don't have the single... perhaps she'll be re-released in time for Christmas 2012.

In Conclusion

The above photo shows most of my opened Sally... I did not mention that Sally occasionally was released in the Cars Mini Adventures series... I do have a Sally in camouflage that came with a McQueen in camouflage.

I like Sally's character in Cars, and I like the diecast... She's probably the only way I'm going to own a Porsche... although I have bought a few Hot Wheels Porsche lately.

Remember this scene from Cars?

SALLY: Do you want to stay at the Cozy Cone or what?

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN: Huh?

SALLY: I mean, if you do, you gotta be clean, because even here, in hillbilly hell, we have standards.

In many ways I envy Sally... she gave up the hustle and bustle of California and ended up in Radiator Springs... She said it best...

"Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time."

I think we collect Cars, read about Cars, and look at pictures of Cars to have a great time... Hopefully you had a great time reading this article... as always, your comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by cac1959; 09-24-2012, 03:43 AM. Reason: Added photos and corrected name

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Great article again. Had a bit of trouble tracking down Sally when I first started collecting. I was trying to get all the towns folk first and got to the point where I was only missing Sally, Red, and Lizzie. Then Mattel released the lenty 3 pack with Red, Sally, and wet McQueen. That was our first Sally. Then a few months later, I found a Supercharged Movie Moments Sally and Cruisin' McQueen. This was late 2010, so I thought "Wow! Where did this come from?" That was our first fixed-eye Sally. I skipped over the Walmart 4 pack and just bought the tuner one. Never got a Sally w/ cone or a Snow day Sally and they are on our Wants list. The 7 pack with her, Ferrari Fans Luigi and Guido, and Hydraulic Radiator Springs Ramone is great for new collectors, but only needing the Ramone wasn't enough to convince to drop the $30 on it. Ironically though, I just bought one of them along with the David Hobbscapp 7 pack yesterday to trade for some Transformers!

signature courtesy of BomBom77
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Even though I never collected cars back in the day...they still caught my attention in stores (I did enjoy the first movie well before my son was born) I have never seen Sally in stores around here. I might not have looked well enough or maybe it never caught my attention.

Anyways...great article as always...Sally always a little of bit of that "je ne sais quoi" about her that made her fun and loveable.

Transformers for Trade
      Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

Decided I'd share with you my Lenticular Sally on ROR Cardback... feel free to put this in your article cac1959!

BTW, great article as usual.

Comment

Thank you, Fillmore1234, for sharing your picture... I added it to the article.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

My number one girl. Took me ages to find her....

Didn't realise whe was release din so many multi-packs

Comment

Holy Porsche! Thanks for the article Chris. And by the way - Bonnie Hunt, not Helen.

Comment

Thank you, Bumper Save... Would you believe I typed the wrong first name in on purpose to see if anyone would notice? I didn't think so... that's what I get for working on an article late on a Saturday night.

Comment

come on mr b, the number 1 babe is...flo.....
                  Originally posted by MrBrownstone View Post
                  My number one girl. Took me ages to find her....

Didn't realise whe was release din so many multi-packs

Comment

I love Sally, my favorite #1 babe(s) are Mia and Tia.

http://carstoys.wikia.com <--My wiki

http://flickr.com/carstoys/ <--My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X