Let's Talk movies!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk movies!

Seems there is a little bit of a lull with new Cars releases, so it's time to fill up the time with random chatter about movies.

As far as hobbies or interests go, I've got 4 things in life: Movies, Books, Video games and random collections lol

So...what is everyone into? Favourite movie(s)? Actors/Actresses? Genre?

Genre:
    I'm a huge fan of Superhero/comicbook movies. Even the terrible ones. I enjoy them thoroughly and love the cheesy action. Would love to get ahold of any and all live action movies based on comic books, but that list is giant lol. I love most movie genres. The only exceptions are Musicals. The only one I have enjoyed is Sweeney Todd lol. I can't say that I have been a very big fan of movies based on video games though (minus Resident Evil). Those usually fall flat on their face.

Favourite Movie:
    My favourite movie goes into the Fantasy genre and it's more of a trilogy; Lord of the Rings. However, as aweful as some may think they are. I thoroughly enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Tim Burton remake) and Elf (starring Will Farrell)

Favourite Actors/Actresses:
    Hands down my favourite actor is Johnny Depp. Mostly because he usually has bizarre roles. He's not the greatest actor, but still my favourite. Actresses, I'm a huge fan of Charlize Theron.

Transformers for Trade
    Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Are there movies besides Cars?

Just kidding.

I like Cars... Star Wars... Pirates of the Caribbean... Transformers... Indiana Jones... Many Disney/Pixar animated movies... I like comedies, and I like movies that deal with technology or sports.

My favorite movie is Cars.

As far as actors and actresses... I too like Johnny Depp... Harrison Ford... Tom Hanks... Sandra Bullock is one of my favorite actresses.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Genre: I love Action movies. Grew up on them. Even better if it had a Sci-Fi twist. Star Wars, Terminator, Rambo movies, Aliens, Robocop, Predator, Die Hard. Those were the ones I grew up with.

Favorite Movie: Star Wars

Favorite Actor/Actress: Arnold Shwartzenegger and I'll have to agree with Decepticoq on this one; Charlize Theron. I've liked her in every single movie she's been in. Even Monster.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
      http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Monster just proved that she was more then just a pretty face.

I agree with all the movies mentioned above. Indiana Jones and Star Wars (actually, La Guerre Des Etoiles as I watched them in french tge first time) were both staples of my childhiod.

Disney Pixar has to be one of my favourte as well. I have loved all the movies that I've seen from them.

I am big into cars so Gone In 60 secs eas awesome to me (Nick Cage version, haven't seen the original). So was Italian Job (version with Charlize Theron, again havent seen the original). I have a soft spot for the cheezy Fast and Furious franchise lol

Transformers for Trade

Comment

Monster messed me up, I couldn't watch a Charlize movie for a long time without seeing old Aileen peeking through.

Comment

i don't really have a particular favourite genre but my top 5 films are currently:

pulp fiction
            robocop
            amelie
            reservoir dogs
            lord of the rings trilogy

the one kids film i also really enjoy watching is despicable me

Comment

Originally posted by yuffie View Post
              i don't really have a particular favourite genre but my top 5 films are currently:

the one kids film i also really enjoy watching is despicable me
              We've watched Despicable Me the last several times my grandsons have been over - watched it again this weekend... I like it.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

That is a pretty good movie. My kids love it. Sadly, we dont have it yet. We are all very excited to see the 2nd one.

Forgot to mention that Monsters Inc. is my favourite Pixar movie.

Transformers for Trade

Comment

I missed out taking the kids to see Monster Inc. in 3D at the theatre, but we will be picking it up on BluRay soon. I'll take them to see the sequel this summer. Planes too.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                  http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Great Topic!

I'm a huge movie\TV fan. That being said I'm picky about what i do watch. I subscribe to Netflix & have a few bookshelves full of DVDs.

I'm excited to see so many LotR fans on here! Truly epic and great. My only regret about it is I missed them showing the extended versions in the theater!

Genre: (in order of preference): Sci-Fi is tops for me. Most Fantasy, Comedy, Action, and some Horror (mostly the ghosts & God vs the Devil type stuff). But not Paranormal Activity!!! I'd rather watch golf! Or flies mating... So boring!

Favorite Movie of all time: Dune (David Lynch theatrical version)

Favorite Saga: Tie, Star Wars (epsisodes 4-6) and Lord of the Rings

Favorite Actor: That's a toughy... I'll have to pick a few; Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, Vincent D'Onofrio, Oliver Platt, Mandy Patinkin, Kevin Spacey, Hugo Weaving, Johnny Depp (gotta disagree with ya on Charlie & the Chocolate factory DecptiCog. WAY too flamboyant! Ruined the whole movie for me.) Gene Wilder & Will Farrell to name a few...

Favorite Actress: Having seen The Avengers (2012) four times gonna have to go with Scarlett Johansson. And leave it at that. (Hmmm... no drooling emoticon.)

Favorite Kids Movies: : I have two boys both love movie as much (or more) than I do so I've seen a bunch! Short list of favorites here; CARS, Cars 2, Despicable Me, Bee Movie, The Fantastic Mr. Fox (big Roald Dahl fans), Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Toy Story Triogy, (Well all PIXAR except Rataouille & Brave they didn't do it for me.), Flushed Away, Meet the Robinsons, Lilo & Stitch, the Shrek Movies & Over the Hedge. Did I say short..? LOL

Five Movies I'd Need On A Desert Island: Dune, The Fifth Element, Hudson Hawk, Galaxy Quest & Ready to Rumble (Guilty pleasure...)

And finally on the topic of comic book movies. I feel I've a real ambivalence here... I either love 'em or hate 'em. Of the ones I did love: Spawn, X-Men (only the first one), Spiderman (only the first one), Iron Man 1 & 2, Captain America and the Avengers (2012). I haven't seen the last two Hulk movies. But after The Avengers I want to see the most recent one.

I'm sure I could say more, but I've already written a novella...
                    Last edited by GotFrank; 01-30-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I would definetly suggest the most recent Hulk movie (with Edward Norton). It's pretty damn good. The 2003 Hulk (with Eric Bana) I liked, but it takes a while before it kicks in and gets going. Most comicbook fans and movie fans found it quite boring for the first hour or more. But, once the action gets going, it's pretty solid. I also suggest (if not seen) Captain America. It's pretty decent, but ties nicely in with the Avengers. I watched them all in order of release and it was quite enjoyable: Iron Man, Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain American and then the Avengers. That was what they called Phase 1. Phase 2 will kick off this year with Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World.

I should have also mentioned Edward Norton as one of my favourite actors. Solid perfomer.

GotFrank, I think the reason I enjoy the Depp version of Wonka IS because of the over the top flamboyance (is that even a word?lol). Gene Wilder was a damn good Wonka too though. I did thoroughly enjoy that Wonka movie as well.

Transformers for Trade

Comment

I did see Captain America, forgot to mention it. And yes I did enjoy it. Hugo Weaving (the Red Skull) is awesome and should have made my actors list too! Tried to watch Thor but only made it 20 minutes in before I bailed out. And the thing is I really respect Kenneth Branagh as an actor. I loved him in Henry V but as the director of Thor I was unimpressed.

And I was under the impression they did a Hulk with this guy from The Avengers. I liked his Bruce Banner a lot. But a friend of mine has suggested several times I need to see the Ed Norton one. So I'll have to look it up.

I got alot to say about the Transformers movies too but it could get lengthy. LOL Maybe we should PM...

Edit: Added Cap & Hugo to my original post.
                        Last edited by GotFrank; 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Norton was supposed to be cast for the avengers (for continuities sake) but there was a whole drama thing between Norton and Marvel and the press got involved and blew things out of proportions and the cut that was released was not the movie Norton wanted so they kinda fell apart However, Mark Ruffalo did an EXCELLENT job picking up the big mantle that Norton left behind.

Apparently Norton had a bunch of things planned for the movie that would probably have made it a better movie, however, a lenghtier one. It would have added some form of tie in with the 2003 Hulk to keep that story going, but Marvel wanted a shorter movie with a ton of Hulk action (understandable since there wasn't enough in the 2003 version and that's why it didnt do so well).

----------------------------------------

Transformers...well yes...I agree with you there...could get quite lenghty, but this is a movie discussion thread afterall...so let's have 'er I'll start.

These are the kind of movies I love watching on the Big Screen. Awesome CGI and BIG explosions. I am a big TF fan and I thoroughly enjoyed the movies. Despite all the plot holes and lack of TF character development. I try not to associate the movies with any of teh series as there are no links other then names. TF universe has already had its fare share of a multiverse so I'm just throwing these movies in as another universe lol.

The one thing that bothered me the most was how Megatron had a plan...and also had a plan if that failed. And on top of that, he had a plan in case that plan failed if the first plan failed....???

Now we are getting a reboot that is not a reboot with TF4...lol

My favourite part of the movies was in Revenge of the Fallen when that Pretender attacks Sam after Mikaila walks in, he just starts screaming like a little girl LOL

(and there's my novela)

Transformers for Trade

Comment

My real beef is with the first movie. I think it should have been called Look At Giant Robot's Feet. The first person on the ground camera angles ruined it for me. I totally want to see "Awesome CGI and BIG explosions." And giant robots fighting! But all I saw were army guys running around and robot feet. LOL Arial views would have made the action sequences 10 times better IMO. Next, what's with Megatron not looking anything like Megatron?! Huge mistake IMO. Then there's the scene toward the end of the movie. Where Optimus Prime says some thing like "I'm coming Sam." (To save him from Megatron.) Then for the next ten minutes or so Sam is chased around my Megatron. What took Prime so long to get his bumper over there?! I mean human Vs. giant robot... You'd better hustle!

As for the sequels Bay did seem to move the "cameras" back a bit so you could see what the heck was going on. And I totally agree about the plot issues & character development. But sometimes I'm ok with just action & effects. So if there's another one I'll watch it. Over all I'd say C+ Just my two cents.

Comment

C+ or B- is pretty accurate. I was hoping the new ones were gonna be about the robots...but with Mark Walhberg cast as the lead male...it seems that won't happen yet again (nothing against Walhberg).

What about Lord of the Rings? Any disapointments there? My biggest disapointment was that Tom Bombadil was not in the movie. It was one of my favourite chapters and I really wish I could have seen him in the big screen. I do however understand why that whole section was left out. There was no advancement to the story and didn't contribute much to the overall scheme and progression of the story. Still...fanboy dreams LOL The Ents were portrayed almost exactly how I pictured them. Was quite pleased with that. Ian Mckellan and Christopher Lee were perfectly cast in my opinion.

Transformers for Trade

Comment

Working...
                              X