RtC: Heavy Metal Mater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RtC: Heavy Metal Mater

With the recent release of the Walmart exclusive Heavy Metal Mater 3 pack, I thought it would be good to take a look at the Toons released in the Heavy Metal Mater Tall Tale... Heavy Metal Mater is one of my favorites - maybe it's because I have been a musician... maybe not... all I know is that I like Cars, I like Mater's Tall Tales, and I like Heavy Metal Mater... in this installment of Respect the Classics, we'll look at Heavy Metal Mater.

A few years ago Mattel released a Mater's Tall Tales Heavy Metal Mater 4 pack... if I remember right, this was a Target exclusive and was the first 4 pack to retail for $29.99; previously, the 4 packs had been $19.99... my friend indykjt from Nathan's Playroom bought one for me at an Indy area Target store:

Actually, he might have gotten me 2 of them, as I have one opened and one carded... as you see in the above photo, the set included Heavy Metal Mater, Heavy Metal Lightning McQueen, and 2 pittys - bass player Eddie, and guitarist Rocky... the pittys were also released as a 2 pitty single, and Heavy Metal Lightning McQueen was also released as a single... somewhere I have them carded... the only way to get Heavy Metal Mater was in the 4 pack... I did not buy the other 4 pack that was released in the case because $30 for a 4 pack was too expensive in my opinion.

I just noticed that Eddie's bass guitar has MATER spelled out on the neck:

Heavy Metal Lightning McQueen featured some leather-look accessories:

And here's Heavy Metal Mater, in leather as well:

I didn't really pay much attention to these until the release this week of the Walmart exclusive Heavy Metal Mater 3 pack:

I wasn't going to buy this 3 pack, as I had the 4 pack... but I did... some of you have asked are there any differences between the ones released in the 4 pack and the new versions in the 3 pack... I don't really think so, but you can look for yourself:

There were a few other Toons released in the Heavy Metal Mater series...

Rodney the Rocker was a single - he was the band's biggest fan:

And don't forget Dex the promoter:

Not to be confused by Dexter Hoover, Dex was released as a single as well... What Car is Dex based on? What other Cars have been released with this body? The answer will appear at the end of the article.

The other Car released in this series was released as a Deluxe Car... Here's Music Video Mater:

If I remember right, Music Video Mater was released in the same case that included 2 Padre (from El Materdor)... Music Video Mater was released as a deluxe for 2 reasons:
    1. It's a Mater so customers/collectors will pay more it.
    2. The Bat wings.

I found it impressive when Mater flapped his wings in the tall tale.

Here are photos comparing Heavy Metal Mater and Music Video Mater:

What differences do you see between Heavy Metal Mater and Music Video Mater?

There are a few other characters shown in the Heavy Metal Mater tall tale... maybe we'll see them in the future... it depends on how sales of the pack goes... Mattel does need to remember that those of us who already have these Toons because we've been collecting for several years need (want) new Cars in addition to variants or the same Car on a new cardback.

As always, thanks for reading.

Chris

P.S. - I didn't answer the questions I asked in the article... I'll give you an opportunity to answer them.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Mel Dorado and the dinoco boss guy?

Great article and these look awesome. I would only want it for the pitties though. And then, I'd get the pitties and would wnt the rest of them...LOL

Transformers for Trade
    Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

Thanks for the article! It was good to be able to compare them side to side. I don't have the Heavy Metal Mater yet so it's good to know the new one is the same as the old one =)

Comment

I already have the Heavy Metal Mater cars but this is great for the new collectors that don't. I couldn't believe that 4 pack was $30 when it first came out. I ended doing a trade to get one last year.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
        http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Great write up cac1959.

I liked the tall tale, but did not buy any of the cars...

I'll need to muster the same will power to resist once again...

Comment

I believe Tex Dinoco and Dex are different sculpts, or at least different Cadillacs.

Comment

Is'nt tex dinoco and dex the same and mel dorado being the one that looks the same but is in fact a different sculpt?

The tall tales are watched the most in my home and can't wait for more

Great article cac1959

Comment

Originally posted by djjd21 View Post
                Is'nt tex dinoco and dex the same and mel dorado being the one that looks the same but is in fact a different sculpt?

The tall tales are watched the most in my home and can't wait for more

Great article cac1959

You're correct! I was thinking of Mel Dorado.

Comment

Are these easy to find? I hate that I don't live close enough to a Walmart to venture out often finding these. I wish these were available online. Grrr!!! I'd love the Heavy Metal Mater set! DAD GUM!!!!

Comment

I only need Music video Mater, but I might pick them up again for another set of the pitties.

Comment

I remember the bat wings smelling just terrible fresh out of the pack.
                      Some petrochemical stink. It eventually faded with time though.

As for Tex, Dex & Mel. They are all three slightly different.

Comment

Working...
                      X