Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Respect the Classics - Final Lap singles (Part 1)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics - Final Lap singles (Part 1)

Mattel first released 1:55 diecast Cars from the movie Cars back in 2006... from time to time, they've changed cardback series... we've taken a look at various cardbacks in previous articles...

In the beginning, came the Desert Back series Cars... First there were 12 Cars known as Desert Back 12 (DB12)... next came the Desert Back 16 - the same 12 Cars plus 4 new ones... Many people had bought the first 12 and wanted more - I didn't start collecting until after the Desert Back Series.

Next came the Supercharged cardback Cars... Many more Cars... several different cases... more stores were carrying these because they were popular with customers... I bought almost all of those but usually just one of most which I opened without first taking pictures of the carded Car...

Up next came the World of Cars (WOC) cardback Cars... many more Cars... several different cases... in addition to new Cars, Mattel re-released several others that had previously been released on the new cardback... it was during this series that Mattel released their first Chase Cars... it was also during this series that I started buying cases of Cars... I was having trouble finding all the new releases in stores...case assortments were starting to leave a little to be desired... stores weren't getting in every new case because they weren't selling all their inventory... I also started trading with friends to pick up International versions of several of these Cars - I liked how the name looked in different languages... For example, Mater was also known as Hook or Martin - I thought that was cool.

Next came the Race O Rama (ROR) series of Cars... new Cars... several different cases... many re-released Cars on yet another cardback... the Chase Cars continued... I continued to buy cases because I didn't want to miss out on any new or Chase Cars... again not every store got in every case... it was difficult to find every new Car in stores...

After the ROR series Mattel split the product line into 2 distinct series... a new concept, Lenticular Cars with moving eyes were made available to all retailers because the classic or fixed eyed Cars became a Target exclusive known as the Final Lap series... Most collectors did not care for the lenticular Cars as well... I bought them because I had to find new Cars to satisfy my Cars-a-holicism... but I was starting to feel resentful that the only local new Cars I could find contained mostly Cars I already had with fixed eyes... I don't have a local Target store - I had to travel out of town to shop at Target or rely on friends to help me out.

The first several cases of Final Lap Cars contained 18 Cars... perhaps half of the 18 were new Cars - 2 or 3 of each new Car... the rest were re-released Cars on yet another new cardback... I bought new Cars for myself... but I was no longer buying them all... The Final Lap singles were $4.99 plus tax each - at least $1.00 more than the lenticular Cars... In this article, we'll take a look at the new Cars released in the Final Lap series.

Case A

Blowing Bubbles Mater was one of 3 new Cars in Final Lap case A... The other new ones were Polly Puddlejumper and Skip Ricter.. there were 4 of each in the case - the other 6 Cars were re-releases... I did not buy any of the re-releases for myself at this time... I already had many of The King - why did I need more?

Polly Puddlejumper was a fan... she was later re-released in a Target 7 pack with Kit Revster.

Skip Ricter was one of the reporters.

I did not find Final Lap case A in very many Target stores... for some reason, most Target stores I visited had more of the Lenticular cases that were available at other retailers than Final Lap cases... I'd like to know the reasoning behind that decision.

Case B

Approximately 6 to 8 weeks after case A, Final Lap Case B was released... there were 4 each of 2 new Cars - Antonio Veloce Excellente, a white Maserati, and Dexter Hoover with Checkered Flag:

The other 10 Cars were re-releases... Again, I didn't buy any of the re-releases for myself... I only saw Final Lap case B Cars one day, at 2 different Indianapolis Target stores... and as the release didn't match up with payday nicely, I only bought a few of each... I had to rely on others to help me with Antonio... I sent one of my Dexter Hoover to a customizer who was making me some custom Apple pittys, crew chiefs, and racers - I'll add photos later... prior to the release of Duff Wrecks, the white pickup truck, Dexter Hoover was what was used for custom pickup trucks.

Case C

Final Lap case C was found in stores within 2 weeks of the release of case B... not every store had gotten case B, and as it was right before Christmas 2009, stores needed new Cars to sell... There were 4 each of 3 new Cars - Pit Crew Sarge, Costanza Della Corsa, and Muddy McQueen:

I liked Costanza's green - Costanza was a sharp looking Maserati.

At the time, Muddy McQueen was just another McQueen to me:

although Muddy McQueen has become one of the more expensive Final Lap Cars over 3 years later.

I found Final Lap case C Cars at many Target stores, but again, being close to Christmas (and right after Christmas) I didn't buy all that I saw...

Case D

Final Lap case D came out towards the end of January 2010... Again, there were 4 each of 3 new Cars and 6 repeats... The new Cars were One Eyed Mater, Donna Pits, and Nick Stickers...

Donna was one of the rusty old Cars:

Nick was a small green Car with lots of stickers on him:

The case D re-releases had already been re-released as Final Lap Cars - The King, Lightning McQueen, Fillmore, and Radiator Springs McQueen... Most people already had enough of those in their collection... and Donna and Nick were relatively minor movie characters that more casual collectors didn't really care to add to their collections... I left several case D Cars on the pegs....and I wasn't the only one, as Nick was re-released in a later Final Lap case.

Case E

Final Lap case E was first released in early March 2010... This case of 18 featured 3 each of 4 new Cars and 1 each of 6 re-releases... The new Cars were Wet McQueen, Vern (the taxi), Jay Limo (a take-off on Jay Leno), and one of the most eagerly anticipated Cars, Race Damaged Mood Springs...

Here's Jay Limo:

Here's Vern:

Here's Wet Lightning McQueen:

Race Damaged Mood Springs flew off the pegs - I only saw it a few times, and it was usually in quantity 1... the other 3 were plentiful in my area... Friends in Alaska and California helped me out with RDMS... As of today (April 23, 2013), Race Damaged Mood Springs goes for a premium price on eBay... It's currently listed for between $65 and $150.

I did buy a few of the re-releases from this case:

Sheriff:

Mater:

Lightning McQueen:

Case F

Final Lap case F was released in mid-April 2010... there were 4 each of 3 new Cars: Jamie, Johnny, and Lightning McQueen with Cone...

Jamie was blue:

Johnny was green:

Johnny and Jamie were only on the screen for a very brief period of time... I first saw them during a Cars hunt in Louisville, Kentucky... McQueen was another 2 piece McQueen but had a plastic cone...these tended to stay on the pegs... Lightning McQueen with Cone was recently re-released in 2013 case C - it looks a lot better as a unibody in 2013 than it did in 2010 as a 2 piece Car, in my opinion.

In Conclusion

Between the higher price of $4.99 per single, and case distribution including minor characters, the Final Lap Cars weren't as popular as Mattel and Target had hoped... Target reduced the number of cases that they ordered - cases G and H also were sold in the UK at the same time or before they were released at Target in the US... People like finding Cars in stores, but they like to have success when it comes to going on a Cars hunt... the $4.99 price point also was a little more expensive than many people like to pay... Later cases only contained 12 Cars and only contained the new Cars.

I will add photos of loose Final Lap Cars in the future.

We'll look at the remaining Final Lap cases in an upcoming article.

Some information on case content taken from:
    http://carsthetoys.yuku.com/topic/51...1#.UXa8AEq_JU0

As always, I appreciate your comments... thanks for reading.

Chris

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Nother great article! Thanks Chris! Wish I had a few of that case E sitting around right about now.

Comment

Chris, a quick question (presuming you have both to make a comparison) - apart from the obvious difference are the two LM with cone the same or is there anything different - im particularly curious about expression of the mouth?

Comment

great article
        i wish the final lap series had more abundant and a larger number of different cars
        great cards on the series

Comment

just also forgot to say Chris - another excellent article - well informed and in good depth - i can see a future as a journalist for you - no wait - your too acurate for that game lol Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Junior View Post
            Chris, a quick question (presuming you have both to make a comparison) - apart from the obvious difference are the two LM with cone the same or is there anything different - im particularly curious about expression of the mouth?
            Funnily you ask that as I do believe in the 2013 card he has been upgraded to a unibody where as the one in cac1959's final lap card is a 2 piece.expressions are the same though I believe.

Could you clarify this chris?

Great write up once again,some great cars there

Comment

Nice Article. I would love to find some RDMS on the pegs lol.

Comment

Gosh I hate the subject of Final Laps. Thanks to my stupidity of not trading at the time (I had a strict 'no buying anything online, only in store' policy back then) I missed tons and tons of new Cars because I don't have a Target within 2 hours of me by car and I don't take road trips as often as the next guy.. The only Final Laps I ever actually saw in a Target were Artie, Marty Brakeburst, and Johnny and Jamie (these 2 I didn't buy for some dumb reason), as well as all of the new Cars in Case K (Swift, Corainder, Derek, and Hooman).

So yes, they were popular, but since they're exclusives to a certain store nobody could get them unless they lived by a Target and could go there every day. I also missed all of the Storytellers and Mater Saves Christmas Cars (no TRU either) and recently bought most of that series through ebay or trade.

Comment

I wasn't collecting when these were out, but RDMS is high on my wanted list!

Comment

Great article Chris, will need to add those maseratis to my wants list...RDMS is currently out of my league...

Comment

Good to see your comments and your questions... where to begin...

I believe Lightning McQueen with Cone has the same expression in 2013 singles case C as in the Final Lap case F... the new release is a unibody... I'll take photos of opened versions so you can compare.

Fillmore - I feel your pain - I have to travel at least 1 hour to get to a Target store and distribution at Target during the Final Lap period was even more hit and miss than many of you have seen during the Cars2 period... there were certain Final Lap cases I never saw in stores... and I saw at least 10 cases of Final Lap case K at one store while a friend in Texas who'd seen plenty of every previous Final Lap case never saw it in a store... I traded for many Final Lap Cars - in fact, the Cars from cases G and H - I got them from UK friends before I got the US versions (photos coming in Part 2).

Dexter Hoover with Checkered Flag was pretty pricey on eBay for the longest time - once it was announced in 2013 singles case D, the price dropped dramatically... Antonio runs from $35 to $60 on eBay... Costanzo runs from $25 to $50... some of the minor characters run from $10 to $15 each... Ones that have been re-released in either the TRU Radiator Springs Classic series (Marilyn, Nick Stickers) or the 2013 series (Lightning McQueen with Cone, Dexter Hoover with Checkered Flag) have really dropped in price - for those of you who open, you're probably better off getting the Car on the newer cardback.

I wish I could help out others with Race Damaged Mood Springs...

It may be the weekend before I have time to take and upload photos.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I lucked out and found a Dexter Hoover with Checkered Flag on the pegs at Target when I first started collecting. Didn't really know what I had at the time and opened it. Now with the rerelease of him, it was good that I freed him of his plastic prison. Also found Nick Stickers on the pegs. I didn't get serious about collecting until the Jamie and Johnny case. They were the first 2 cars I bought just because they were new cars and not something I was actually looking for.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                        http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Thanks for another great article!

We've been trying to collect all the Lightning McQueens on the DK Poster & I didn't realise Muddy LMQ was a Final Lap & hard to get (& pricey). That's going to get interesting.

Comment

Working...
                          X