Congratulations, Andy Murray!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations, Andy Murray!

It's been 77 years since the last time it happened... today Andy Murray put an end to the streak by becoming the first Brit to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry won the last of his 3 consecutive Men's singles titles... Let the celebration begin!

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

As a proud Scotsman I will add my congratulations. He seems like a really good guy and has some incredible resilience. First Scottish player to win it too. An awesome day for Scottish and British sport! Well done Andy!

Comment

Yes - I was firmly British at the weekend. Great performances by both the Lions (arise Sir Warren!) and Andy...

Comment

A truly fantastic achievement. I had my doubts we'd ever see a British tennis champion. First he won the Olympic gold medal, then he won a Grand Slam earlier this year / last year, now Wimbledon!

You can have ability, but it takes hard work and determination to achieve at the highest level.

It is said that success breeds success. I hope he inspires a new generation of British tennis players to success. Hopefully Laura Robson will continue her improvement too.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior View Post
          As a proud Scotsman I will add my congratulations. He seems like a really good guy and has some incredible resilience. First Scottish player to win it too. An awesome day for Scottish and British sport! Well done Andy!
          Tut tut. The great grandchildren of Herbert Lawford do not like this.

For me, it wasn't so much that Murray won, it was the manner in which he did. Straight sets against Djokovic. Almost unheard of.

With Lisicki also doing a fantastic job (yeah apart from choking in the final), it was a great tournament all round. As is any without the nauseating presence of Federer and Williams.
          Last edited by Enzo; 07-09-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Tut tut. The great grandchildren of Herbert Lawford do not like this.

For me, it wasn't so much that Murray won, it was the manner in which he did. Straight sets against Djokovic. Almost unheard of.

With Lisicki also doing a fantastic job (yeah apart from choking in the final), it was a great tournament all round. As is any without the nauseating presence of Federer and Williams.
            That's what I get for not doing my own research, it was on about 100 facebook posts so I just assumed it to be true. I have also since learned that Fred Perry wasn't actually English either!

The manner in which he won was all the more special after the last game, He must have felt like his chance was slipping away from him after losing the 3 match points. If he didn't win it there and then who knows what could have happened but he dug really deep and produced the goods when it mattered.

He will now go on to win many majors in my opinion as the next time he contests one there will be hardly any pressure on him compared to finally ending the Wimbledon Jinx.

Comment

Working...
            X