Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlight on......sodabear

Next to have the spotlight shined in their eye is sodabear

2. Where are you from/ where do you live now?
    I was born in Milwaukee, grew up in Dallas, and after a good five or six years of living the nomadic hippie life I landed in Portland, Oregon, where I still live today.

3. When did you start collecting Cars?
    In the fall of 2008.

4. Why did you start collecting Cars?
    My son Elliott fell in love with the movie at about 18 months old, and freaked out when he saw a McQueen in the checklane of the store. His fourth or fifth car was Snot Rod- once I held that car in my hand, I realized I was hooked. The rest, as they say, is history.

5. How many cars (roughly) do you have?
    Very roughly, I'm guessing around 500 or so, including duplicates, sets, etc.

6. Which diecast car is your favorite?
    The "only one allowed" is cruel, Mr. B.... I'm going to go with Race Damaged Mood Springs.

7. Which car (from the movie) is your favorite, and why?
    Another tough one.... I'm going to go with Sally. To me, she's the heart of the movie. And the "you got it, you got it Stickers!" line always gives me the chills.

8. What has been your best-ever find?
    In retrospect, I guess the 4 RD Mood Springs I found on the pegs at one time. At the time, I think I was most excited about a WOC My Name Is Not Chuck that I found about a year or so ago. Since I started collecting so late, I've had to trade for or buy at a mark-up the older, harder-to-find releases.

9. What car(s) do you currently own?
    I drive a 2007 Chevy Aveo and my wife drives a 2002 (or so) Maxima. Jealous?

10. What is your dream car?
    A Vespa.

11. What do you do for a day job?
    Kiss butt and bring extra ranch for your fries. I'm a waiter.

12. Other than Cars Collecting, do you have any hobbies?
    Well, I like to write and play music, although there doesn't seem to be too much time for that these days.
    I'm not sure how anyone with kids finds the free time to do anything.

13. What is your greatest ever achievement?
    Without a doubt, it's my kids. Besides Elliott, who turns 4 next week, there's also Owen, who's 18 months old.

14. What is your favorite ever TV show and favorite movie?
    Right now my favorite TV show is The Walking Dead on AMC. Favorite ever? I don't know, maybe Freaks and Geeks. It got canceled so quickly it never had a chance to suck. My favorite movies of all time are Stand By Me and The Goonies.

15. If you won "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", what would you do with the money?
    Do you only win a million dollars on that show? If so, then I guess I would invest most of it for the kids, and use some to take car of my father. We'd probably use some to get into a new house. A mill doesn't seem to go that far these days....I would love to get that aforementioned Vespa though, and maybe take a vacation. Yeah, a vacation would be nice. Oh, and a Speedway Of The South Set. And a Factory Sealed Set. And a.............
    Last edited by MrBrownstone; 10-08-2012, 03:18 PM. Reason: Remove Age Question

Nice to learn a little more about you, sodabear (AKA Chris from Oregon)... Chris is also a published author - I bought one of his books a few months ago... He's also a great person to trade with - I highly recommend him.

Wish Elliot a Happy Birthday for me...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Alright there SodaChum...Nice to see the spotlight shine over there in Portland. I once had a spin in a Vespa over in Portland, though it was liberty city on the PSP...got busted, robbed and shot at don't think I'll be back lol....
      Love the best ever find, I don't think I could have held together finding 4 of those bad boys, i dream of the day when I find one...And sad to hear you've no time for music, I used to have a real passion for music myself but having a family and settling down puts it down the list, but one day I hope to go through the eve's of the roofspace and claim it back..
      Glad to speak to you again there sodabear and I too wish your wee man a Happy Birthday

Comment

Thanks for the comments and Elliott's birthday wishes you guys. Unfortunately I let him open all his C2 stuff as we bought it (don't know how anyone could resist, especially with kids) so I didn't have any Pixar stuff left to give as a b-day present. It would've been nice to find a Miguel or Lewis launcher (he's pretty much only into the race cars), but no dice. He is up to his neck in new Hot Wheels and Nascar cars (which he seems to prefer these days, much to my chagrin).....

Chris, I know you write and play music too- maybe the three of us should get a long distance project going, maybe a Cars-themed concept album?

Comment

Great call woth Stand by Me and the Goonies - believe it or not it was only earlier this year that my wife saw the Goonies!!!

Sorry about the "only one favourite allowed" - it has to be this way to a) make you think, and b) stop the endless lists that would appear!

Comment

All the best to your Son on his Birthday. Great reading up on members.

Comment

sodabear, re the vespa, check out "italian girls on mopeds" by andy white, think the title says it all, should be on u tube, let us know what you think

Comment

Thanks again for the comments you guys. No worries, Mr. B, on the "one favorite" rule- I was just giving you a hard time. I do think that adding a favorite music and/or books question would be nice, you can learn a lot about a guy or gal that way. Oh, and I hope your wife liked The Goonies; if not, it might be time to cut her loose (:

Boogity- I'll check it out when I can get to an actual computer. My phone runs way too slow to watch any video, unfortunately. I'm liking the sound of it though.....

Comment

Hey SB, I may be going on a summer roadtrip to Oregon so may look you up
                  How is the beer where you are?

Comment

You're definitely coming to the right place if you like beer Conrad....

Are you coming to Portland? If so, when? We should meet up.

Comment

If you lived anywhere but Portland.
                      I'd totally razz you for answering Vespa to
                      "What is your dream car?"
                      But Portland being a land of wonder, and energy
                      efficiency. With a bird on it (see Portlandia).
                      I must yield to the successes of you hippy freaknicks.
                      Maybe a Vespa Ape (as seen in Cars 2...)

Comment

lol, GF....Having two kids in car seats renders a Vespa as impractical and out of reach to me as a Delorean. But if I ever win the lottery and can justify a third vehicle, I'd buy a green one, rig it so it could run on my own urine and yes, "put a bird on it".

Comment

Awesome!!!!!
                          Lol

Comment

Working...
                          X