Spotlight on......MrBrownstone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlight on......MrBrownstone

I've been asked recently why I've not done a spotlight on myself, so here goes.....

2. Where are you from / where do you live now?
    I'm a Yorkshireman - born and raised! That's a county in Northern England for you foreign folk! I was born in Pontefract (West Yorkshire) and lived there for 19 years. I then moved to Leeds (West Yorkshire) for 4 years whilst I went to University after which I moved to York (North Yorkshire) where I've lived for the last 9 years

3. When did you start collecting Cars?
    I started around April 2010 - so just over a year ago

4. Why did you start collecting Cars?
    It was my wife's fault - we had some vouchers to be spent in the Disney Store and couldn't really find anything to buy for the amount of money we had on the voucher. As our son (5 months old at the time) loved his soft Lightening McQueen my wife suggested that we buy two of the toy cars (We got LMQ and Doc Hudson) so he could play with them when he was older. After that she said that since there were lots of cars available, but all at different times (what info we got from the girl who worked there) it would be fun to buy one per week and "hunt" for the ones we needed. She now regrets her decision / idea!!! cac1959 once sent me a package with 43 cars in it - nearly a years worth of "hunting!"

5. How many cars (roughly) do have currently have?
    I'd say roughly a hundred from Cars 1 and 11 from Cars 2. You can count my Cars 1 cars if you like - photos here

6. Which diecast car is your favourite (only one allowed)?
    As I've not opened any yet (other than Gil) it's tricky to say, so I'll have to go for Snot Rod. He was the one that I longed for the most and hunted hardest for

7. Which car (from the movie) is your favourite, and why?
    I like Mater because he makes me chuckle (and I've met him in real life too). I'm a big fan of the Turnerz too, but will have to single out Mater as my favourite

8. What has been your best ever find?
    [i]My personal favourite finds have been Bessie and Frank - basically as the only times I saw them both I bought them and they've not been seen again since (good job I got them then as this was early in my collection career and I didn't know what was rare then). I suppose that my find of the Final Laps in the UK was good too (not that I collected many of them as I already had the cars in other formats - cardbacks don't matter to me) - on CTT and T5AD I was the first person to report finding them. I can quote rippers in that "I made his week" with that find!

9. What car(s) do you currently own?
    I currently own a BMW X3 which I share with my wife. Last month we sold out 2nd Car (a Ford Focus) as my wife has changed her location of work to where we live so we now both cycle to work - no need for a 2nd car

10. What is your dream car?
    When I was younger I really wanted the flying car from Back to the Future 2 (not as much as I wanted the hover board though). I also fancied a Dodge Charger (Dukes of Hazzard) and a Pontiac Trans-Am (Smokey and the Bandit). When I was of driving age (17) I wanted a Pergeot 106 XSi, then a Pergeot 306 DTurbo, then a Nissan 100NX (kind of looks like a Trans-Am - well it had a T-bar roof and was available in the UK) and then a BMW (no specific model, but the Brand name) - all that by the time I was 18 too! I've met only one of those dreams twice - that's buying a BMW. I almost bought a Pergeot 106 XSi and a Peugeot 306 DTurbo but missed out as they were either "dodgy" (so I pulled out of the purchase) or the seller "did one" on me - after I paid a deposit too! Now my dream car would be an older Porche 911 Turbo or a Aston Martin DB9 (always wanted to be James Bond!). In a more realistic world I'd like a VW Camper Van (a new one) as a 2nd car as I love the outdoors. I do liek the older ones, but couldn't cope without Air Con!

11. What do you do for a day job?
    I work in IT for Avvia, an Insurance Company, as an IT Solutions Architect

12. Other than Cars Collecting, do you have any hobbies?
    Mainly sport orientated. I like to run, play golf, play football, do weight training and go for bike rides when time allows. Running, football and weight training happen multiple times per week, but golf and bike riding about once or twice per year since the arrival of the little one. I used to like playing the xbox too - mainly FPS type games, but alas I don't get much time to play that either anymore. I used to be on nightly, but now it's more like weekly!

13. What is your greatest ever achievement?
    In addtition to marrying my wife and the birth of my son (he's awesome by the way) I suppose my greatest achievements have been sports related. When I was younger I was in the county swimming squad, I won the county Triathlon for my age group (running, swimming, shooting) and I was also in the county shooting team. More recently it's been completing the reat North Run (half marathon) which I'll be doing again for the 3rd time this September. I'm going for under 100 minutes this time! Future aspirations are to complete the London Marathon before I'm 40 (if I can get a place!), complete in a triathlon (swimming, cycling, running) just to say I've done one and possibly complete the toughguy race (if for some reason I get drunk enough to sign up) - this is one thing I'd like to do but haven't got the guts to sign up to. Academically ity would be getting my 1st Class Honours degree.

14. What is your favourite ever TV show and favourite ever movie?
    Favourtie ever TV show has to be Only Fools and Horses - hands down! Honourable mentions are to Transformers and Saved by the Bell that I loved as a child / teenager. Favourite movie is more difficult. It's probably the entire Star Wars saga (I didn't mind the newer three, but the originals were superior). I did like the American Pie trilogy too and do enjoy the school sport feel good films such as Remember the Titans, Varsity Blues, Coach Carter and Best Shot. Top Gun and Road House are also worth honourable mentions.

15. If you won "Who want's to be a millionnaire", what would you do with the money?
    I'd probably just buy a plot of land and build a house on it (along with clearing all debt). That way I could then just enjoy all of the money that we earnt or buy a smaller house and rent it out to save for retirement. I'd like to say that I'd give some money to family, but everyone's currently financially stable so I'd just be more generous throughout life with them as we'd be debt free so would have more cash flowing. I'd probably splash out for a few family holidays (extended family) and friends weekends away with the initial lup sum too.

Any questions or comments, please reply to this thread
    Last edited by MrBrownstone; 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM. Reason: Remove Age Question

When your son asks, are you going to open any of your Cars? I have to keep the unopened ones out of site, out of mind with mine.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Good to see that the Spotlight on finally is on the Spotlight on creator, MrBrownstone... Another IT worker who is a a Cars-a-holic... but you didn't' mention the Cars movie... I can tell that you're young - talking about running and triathlons... So your wife started you out on Cars collecting... Little did she know what she was getting into, lol! Thanks for all your contributions to the site and to my Cars collection.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

very good mrb, a couple of points, what does a pontefract cake taste like and have you ever eaten one?
        also , forget the london marathon, come over a run the dublin one in oct, its good craic, plus you are guaranteed a place!
        as for the great north run, wear something cars related and we can all look out for you on t,telly..

Comment

bobbyjack - yes, when my son is of an age to play with the cars (and know who they are) he'll get to open them all - every single one! I just need to think of a way to give them to him (and also hide the stash)

cac1959 - I do like the Cars movie and it should have been worth a mention in there along with the Toy Story films, Monsters Inc, Incredibles and Finding Nemo. Yes, my wife does regret getting me started on Cars and hates the fact that she started it whenever I point it out to her.

boogity - yes I have eaten a Pontefract Cake - they're liquorish flavoured and I HATE them! I have thought about different marathons (with guaranteed places) but if I'm going to put in that amount of training it has to be the big one for me (London). I'll make myself a cardboard LMQ costume so you'll be able to spot me in the GNR (and I'll get on the telly that way too) - joking - I'm going for a pb this year so will be firmly in running gear. If I can find a Cars related wicking t-shirt / vest then I'll wear that!

I got asked about my music likes (think it was sodabear - I'll add that question to the standard list. To be honest I like a bit of everything, pop, dance, rock, r'n'b. When I was younger my music of choice was definately Rock. I was a big G'n'R fan (who would have guessed!), Def Leppard, Poison, ACDC, etc... To be honest when I'm on my own in the car this is still my music of choice.

Books - I'm not a big reader as I just can't find the time. I do like Dan Brown books and enjoyed the LOTR trilogy but I only ever read when sat in the sun on holiday. I can't remember the last time that happened. At home I chill out better by either exercising, playing my xbox or watching TV.

Comment

I used Cars as a training aid when potty training my son. I would put one car in the package on top of the dryer so he could see it. If he sat on the potty, he could hold the car in the package. If he successfully used the potty, he got to open the car. It didn't take long to train him like this. Now he gets a new car if he is good that day. I alternate Hot Wheels cars into the mix so it doesn't get extremely expensive. Like 3 Hot Wheels to one Disney Car. He gets to open his car at the end of the day after he gets ready to go to bed. I have a large stash hidden from him where he can't reach them. When my daughter is ready, I'm going to have to figure out what she is going to collect so I can use the same method.

I liked the same bands in the late 80's too. My music tastes have evolved also, but I always like to listen to Classic Rock.

Comment

I use/used Cars for potty training too for my sons. They got to hold one when sitting on the throne
              If everything came out allright and in the right place they get to open one; this has turned out to be very expensive! (I think they stall becoming toilet trained becuase they want more cars haha)
              Also, Cac1959 feel free to send any one of us 43 cars in a package too
              I wish I could say my cars addiction was my wifes fault too...

Comment

cycling to work is good

Anatomical illustrations by Jake Parker

Comment

I live 60 miles from my job. (96 km to you metric guys) If I did that, by the time I got home, it would be time to turn around and go back for the next shift!

Comment

What a pack of fabrication! I happen to know for a fact that Jon is a one-eyed haberdasher from Purley!

What is your dream car? ALL! LOL

Props to Jon for turning me on to Only Fools and Horses. Great show!
                    I love to laugh, and that one never failed me.

Again good questions mate!

Comment

Working...
                    X