Respect the Classics: Leroy Traffik

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: Leroy Traffik

How many of you have ever driven a mini van as your main car? For several years I did... it was due to necessity, not because I wanted to... and while the main vehicles in Cars are Cars, some of the more popular secondary vehicles are mini vans... Mini, Van, and Leroy Traffik... What made those characters so popular? I think it's because many of us could identify with them because we drove one... In this installment of Respect the Classics, we'll take a look at the mini van with a doughnut tire and a mattress tied to the top of his vehicle, Leroy Traffik.

World of Cars Leroy Traffik

The first release of Leroy Traffik was during the World of Cars series... looking at him in the packaging he doesn't seem special... except for the mattress on top... in the past I'd driven a van packed with furniture and belongings... and I've driven with a mattress tied to the top... it's not glamorous... but when you need to help a child move you do what it takes... what made Leroy Traffik special was the doughnut tire for the back right tire... but as you can see it wasn't visible in the packaging.

Here's a picture showing the small tire - why not show it that way in the package?

Here's the back of the WOC Leroy Traffik card:

There are some great Cars shown on the cardback.

The production code of my WOC Leroy Traffik is 1868EA.

Race o Rama Leroy Traffik

Leroy Traffik was released early in the Race o Rama series... the production code was 3098EA... Same mini van... packaged in the same direction... we didn't see the small tire.

The back of the US ROR version of Leroy Traffik shows Hank Halloween Murphy... if I remember right, the international version of ROR Leroy Traffik shows Leroy.

Leroy looks like he's seen his better days in both the WOC and ROR series.

Night Skyline Deluxe Leroy Traffik with Snow Tires

Leroy Traffik was released in the Night Skyline series as a Deluxe Car... instead of 3 regular tires and a doughnut tire, a complete set of snow tires... and a new paint job... I liked this Leroy - he looks like a new Car:

Here's the back of the Deluxe:

Notice that it shows Chuck Choke Cables even though Chuck was not released in the US on the Night Skyline series... Chuck was just released for the first time in the US in 2014 case H.

The production code of my Deluxe Leroy Traffik with snow tires is 3620AZ - made the very end of 2010 from a different factory.

And that was all we saw of Leroy Traffik until just recently.

Radiator Springs Classic Leroy Traffik

Leroy Traffik was released in the Toys R US Radiator Springs Classic series... A TRU exclusive, this was the first version to show Leroy's doughnut tire... Note that the RSC card shows Disney World of Cars - Pixar has been dropped from the card... When the RSC Leroy was released, prices of the WOC and ROR versions dropped... if you're a collector in need Leroy Traffik, you'll save money by buying the RSC version.

Unlike many new releases of Cars, the RSC version of Leroy Traffik is still a two-piece Car - I was hoping they'd upgrade him to a unibody... the production code on my RSC Leroy Traffik is 2693 EAA - yet a 3rd factory.

Here are photos showing Leroy Traffik out of the package:

Rear view showing the license plate:

Deluxe version:

I think it's a different license plate:

Here's a comparision photo:

It looks like the mattress is larger in the Deluxe version.

Where does Leroy Traffik appear in Cars? If you're like me, you may need to watch it again to find out...

Thanks for reading... as always, I appreciate your comments.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Leroy Traffik has eluded me up until last year where I got Leroy w/ Snow Tires from Amazon and Leroy from a trade with GoMaterGo. I never saw him in any of his releases (and still haven't since the last time I was at TRU was well before the newest RSC Case was released)

Great article, Chris. Your pictures made me realize just how horrible he is as a 2 piece mold. Probably one of the worst ones out there, and it's a shame he didn't get updated in the RSC series.

Comment

Great article Chris! I love Leroy, he is probably my favorite diecast character. I just love the fact that even though he is simply a background character they made a diecast of both versions of him shown in the movie. I have yet to get the normal version but was extremely fortunate to win the Leroy with snow tires here on PCD
      Last edited by gtommec3; 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Cool article.
        Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

Great article Chris!!
          Still dont have the regular release!

Comment

Great article!
            RBCars77 check out my YouTube Channel @ RCcars5

Comment

I found RSC Leroy at TRU a few days ago. Have yet to get my hands on a Leroy Traffik W/ Snow Tires.

Comment

Leroy was seen when Mack was approaching the Top Down Truck Stop. With snow tires, Was seen exiting Luigi's shop. I have the snow tires version.

http://carstoys.wikia.com <--My wiki

http://flickr.com/carstoys/ <--My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Scavenger View Post
                  Great article Chris!!
                  Still dont have the regular release!
                  Found today!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scavenger View Post
                    Found today!!!
                    That was fast!

http://carstoys.wikia.com <--My wiki

http://flickr.com/carstoys/ <--My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by iopl3887 View Post
                      That was fast!
                      I know! Gonna send Chris a list of Cars I need to find and have him do an article for each!! LOL

Comment

great article Chris
                        I've always loved how mattel changed his paint color and size of the mattress on the deluxe version lol

Comment

Great article Chris! Leroy was one of the first Cars I went after when I started trading. Was able to get a loose version from Jestrjeff back in early 2011 and that was the only one we had until recently when the RSC version came out. I'd still like to pick up a 2nd version of Leroy with Snow Tires.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                          http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Maybe Leroy visited Ramone for a fresh metallic paint job before he went to Luigi's for new tires.
                            He is one of the classics for sure. I am surprised ours still has the mattress in place, it is fixed on to him well.

Comment

Working...
                            X