Paypal's "gift" option

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal's "gift" option

Ok, so me and my mom are lost on the whole... thing of gifting on Paybal, for one.. we don't even see anything about sending money as a gift on the site when making payments of which I'm in the process of wanting to do to someone on here... but me and Mom are arguing over how to do it, or even.. why cause neither of see clearly that fees from paypal are skipped..it still shows either the seller gets a fee or we have a fee on something.. can anyone help in this matter? Cause I always see sellers on here mention the gift option and honestly rub my head cause its a headache to deal with it seems trying to figure it out.
    "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

it looks like paypal has changed the way it works

under the send money tab

click on the "I'm sending money to family or friends"

this will be free if it comes out of your paypal balance or your bank account

if it goes on a credit card it will charge you a fee

it will tell you how much before you do it

I believe this is the new way to send it as a gift

Comment

Originally posted by carslover View Post
      it looks like paypal has changed the way it works

under the send money tab

click on the "I'm sending money to family or friends"

this will be free if it comes out of your paypal balance or your bank account

if it goes on a credit card it will charge you a fee

it will tell you how much before you do it

I believe this is the new way to send it as a gift
      well if thats the new way then thats how I've been doing it.
      "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

I always thought that the gift payment meant that you could not dispute an item not received, but I found out recently that paypal does not care if it is a gift or a purchase. If the buyer (money sender) wants to, they can still dispute money that they sent and will get it back every time which leads to the seller appealing and having to spend a ton of time proving that they delivered an item that they never claimed to sell in the first place! (to paypal anyways) so be careful!

Comment

Here's how it works. When you send money via the gift option there is no commission fee to the seller. So if you send him $20 he will receive $20. The seller is able to offer buyers on the site lower prices than ebay cause he knows if the buyer pays via gift he will have no commission fees. The buyer will also pay no fees IF he pays the gift amount from his paypal balance OR if he has his paypal account linked to his checking account (direct debit). If a buyer doesn't use paypal often and does not have this setup and wants to pay via credit card, then yes the buyer will pay a fee. If you are a buyer it is worth it to link your paypal account to your checking account - then you can pay via gift option to anyone and never pay a fee.

The other thing to be aware of is that paying via gift option voids your paypal protection. So if the seller stiffs you and doesn't send the item, you have no recourse as the buyer in Paypal against them - you lose the money. So only use the gift option if you feel comfortable that the seller will fulfill his obligations (that's what the feedback portion of this site is for so you can see someone's track record). If I see someone posting something for sale that I want and they have no feedback and only a handful of posts here then I do NOT use the gift option cause I don't trust them. In that case I would rather pay the 2.9% paypal fee and have the protection.

Comment

If you have good feedback on here, you most likely wouldn't want to mess up that reputation, so you aren't going to stiff someone who is buying Cars from you. If someone is buying something from me, I'll leave the decision to them whether they want to send payment as a gift or not. If they don't want to send it as a gift, they are more than welcome to cover the PayPal fees. I don't print mailing labels at my house either. I send everything from the Post Office. I have bought some things before and the seller requested I send the funds as purchasing goods or items. That way it is easier for them to print mailing labels. The decision whether you use the PayPal gift option should be discussed between you and the other party when you are making the deal.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
            http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Originally posted by PopeMobile View Post
              Here's how it works. When you send money via the gift option there is no commission fee to the seller. So if you send him $20 he will receive $20. The seller is able to offer buyers on the site lower prices than ebay cause he knows if the buyer pays via gift he will have no commission fees. The buyer will also pay no fees IF he pays the gift amount from his paypal balance OR if he has his paypal account linked to his checking account (direct debit). If a buyer doesn't use paypal often and does not have this setup and wants to pay via credit card, then yes the buyer will pay a fee. If you are a buyer it is worth it to link your paypal account to your checking account - then you can pay via gift option to anyone and never pay a fee.

The other thing to be aware of is that paying via gift option voids your paypal protection. So if the seller stiffs you and doesn't send the item, you have no recourse as the buyer in Paypal against them - you lose the money. So only use the gift option if you feel comfortable that the seller will fulfill his obligations (that's what the feedback portion of this site is for so you can see someone's track record). If I see someone posting something for sale that I want and they have no feedback and only a handful of posts here then I do NOT use the gift option cause I don't trust them. In that case I would rather pay the 2.9% paypal fee and have the protection.

This is how I thought it worked as well but e.davies1 said that a buyer lodged a dispute even though they sent payment as a gift to him. It sounds like Paypal even returned the money to the buyer as well until he appealed the decision.

Comment

This happened to a close friend. Paypal only released the money back to him after he could prove delivery of the package to the buyers address. Sending as a gift might save some money, but it does not seem to make a difference to buyer protection so I wonder why anyone ever pays the fees. This happened over the last 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                  This is how I thought it worked as well but e.davies1 said that a buyer lodged a dispute even though they sent payment as a gift to him. It sounds like Paypal even returned the money to the buyer as well until he appealed the decision.
                  Something doesn't sound right here. It sounds to me like the person thought it was sent as a gift but really wasn't. Keep in mind that Paypal gets no money in the transaction if someone sends it as a gift - it is just a pass-through transaction for them. So there is no reason for them to spend time refereeing the outcome when they make no money on it. Also they want people to pay the 2.9% so it makes sense that the paypal protection is given only to those who pay it. I've been doing Paypal for several years and have done several thousand transaction on it and I have never heard of anyone paying as a gift and getting protection. So like I said above I believe that what really happened is the person paid the 2.9% fee to begin with and the seller thought it was sent as a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by PopeMobile View Post
                    Something doesn't sound right here. It sounds to me like the person thought it was sent as a gift but really wasn't. Keep in mind that Paypal gets no money in the transaction if someone sends it as a gift - it is just a pass-through transaction for them. So there is no reason for them to spend time refereeing the outcome when they make no money on it. Also they want people to pay the 2.9% so it makes sense that the paypal protection is given only to those who pay it. I've been doing Paypal for several years and have done several thousand transaction on it and I have never heard of anyone paying as a gift and getting protection. So like I said above I believe that what really happened is the person paid the 2.9% fee to begin with and the seller thought it was sent as a gift.
                    I agree Paypal have no incentive to offer protection when payment is sent as a gift as they make no money from it. However I still can't figure out how the buyer could have done a gift payment (plus fees?) and got protection for the transfer. I thought the seller pays the Paypal fees in all situations. That's why sellers on the forums ask for sale amount plus Paypal fees when the buyer wants protection, for example for a member who is selling who has no feedback.
                    To get the option of lodging a dispute, surely the only way is for the buyer to pay as a purchase for good or services. In which case they pay no fees, the seller has to pay the fee and so will be aware of it.
                    When sending payment as a gift I've never been given an option by Paypal to pay fees and get protection. Unless Paypal varies around the world, it is actually an option that would be nice to have in the payment screen.

Comment

You cannot "dispute" a PayPal gift payment in the traditional sense, but what Senders can do is file an "Unauthorized Transaction" notice with PayPal, which in effect opens a dispute with the Recipient. One call to Customer Service should help resolve it for the Recipient.
                      Last edited by John in Missouri; 02-22-2014, 10:00 AM. Reason: I had previously misspelled the word "unauthorized".

Comment

Since it was not my account, i cannot tell you how it was disputed. I can tell you that it was sent as a gift, I can also tell you that however the sender did it, they were able to have paypal remove money from the receiver's account. I can also tell you that it took the receiver over an hour to fix it, and only after proving delivery of the items.
                        Last edited by e.davies1; 02-22-2014, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by e.davies1 View Post
                          Since it was not my account, i cannot tell you how it was disputed. I can tell you that it was sent as a gift, I can also tell you that however the sender did it, they were able to have paypal remove money from the receiver's account. I can also tell you that it took the receiver over an hour to fix it, and only after proving delivery of the items.
                          That is just insane that Paypal actually removed money from his or her account, especially when it was sent as a gift!
                          Here's my opinion(even though I dont always do it this way)...
                          If you know the person and feel comfortable selling to them use the gift option, if you do not then take the hit on the fees or charge back to the buyer.

Comment

Working...
                          X