The State of Retail Distribution: 12/31/14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of Retail Distribution: 12/31/14

Those of us not in retail tend to question the distribution of retail product... In some instances, such as new movies, when new items are released, every store in a retail chain has them available for sale starting with the same day... and for other items, such as Cars and Planes, distribution is much more hit and miss... my wife doesn't understand that not every Target or Walmart store may not have the exact selection of Cars... a lot of different reasons factor into this... the person(s) who orders items... in some cases the decision is made at the local level... in some cases a corporate buyer makes the decision... in many cases people just don't get it.

I'm sure that a chain may get a better unit price if they buy 4000 of singles case A than 1000 each of singles cases A, B, C, and D... but there probably aren't 4000 people who go out of their way to buy what's in case A... it's much more likely that 1000 of us go out of our way to buy what's in singles cases A, B, C, and D.

And typically when a product line starts, stores order too many of an early case and get stuck with pegwarmers... so they don't order subsequent cases... they may skip cases or stop altogether... Product lines start and don't finish - it happens with store exclusives (Team Crew Sets, Team Sets and Neon Racers)... It happened with Haulers It happened with the Night Skyline series of Cars (especially the Deluxe Series and... with Cars 2... it happened with the 2013 Cars... it happened with the 2014 Cars... and it's probably going to happen with the 2015 Cars... I hope it doesn't happen with the new Ice Racers.

I've never been a huge fan of store exclusives... part of that has to do with the fact that I've got to travel over 50 miles to get to my closest Target or Toys R US... I'm also not a fan of how big box stores order and receive inventory... Many Meijer stores still have Finn McMissile singles, Submarine Finn McMissile Deluxe, and Race Team Mater/Zen Master Pitty and Finn/Tomber Movie Moments from the May 16, 2011 Cars 2 launch - 43 months after the release date... new items eventually sell... but when stores don't have product we want to buy it frustrates us... Meijer stores got 2 or 3 of the 2014 singles cases in and that's it... the Mama Bernoulli case (G) was the last one... Walmart was a little better, but I've not seen anything newer than the Louis Larue case (E) and that came within the last 2 months... Target dropped Movie Moments during the last reset... Kmart dropped the Cars Collector Events and only recently got one of the first 2014 singles cases (almost 12 months after other stores had them available)... many TRU stores have nothing but Lightning McQueen singles and the Bug Mouth McQueen single from the Radiator Springs Classic line.

As far as 2014 singles cases, Target appears to be the only store that's been getting in some of the most recent cases - Mama Bernoulli (G), Alberto/Sally with Tattoo, Henry Mattisse/Jonathan Shiftko (L)... I saw case K (Todd and Mama Bernoulli reissue) earlier this week at Target stores... Walmart stores got in lots of Todd/Denise Beam (case D) and then a sidekick with 6 common Cars with stickers and then nothing for months...

The newest series getting a release is the Ice Racers series... so far these are only at Target... and they may or may not be on shelves or pegs yet... Scavenger found 7 of the singles in New Jersey so I started looking for them... I went to stores in Dayton... Cincinnati... Indianapolis... and back to Dayton and Cincinnati... and eventually found Lightning McQueen, Max Schnell, Vitaly Petrov, and Raoul Caroul... I had to provide the DPCI (087-07-1595) and associates did bring out a box - if they could find it... when the scanner says there's in the stockroom but the workers can't find them I think that's a problem... I heard that someone in the Columbus, Ohio area found Lewis, Miguel, and Shu and saw a picture, so on Monday I made the 110 mile one way trip to Columbus to check out some Target stores... and I did find not only those 3 new Case C singles, but also the 4 pack with Francesco... Why did Columbus have case C but not Dayton, Cincinnati, Springfield, or Indianapolis? It's got to be where they get their merchandise... the distribution center.

Here's a link showing and listing Target distribution centers:

https://corporate.target.com/careers...nter-locations

Here's the list:

I suspect that the reason Cincinnati, Dayton, and Indianapolis all have the same stock (example, Ice Racers case A) because they all get Cars from the distribution center in Indianapolis... I found different Ice Racers in Columbus (case C) because they get their product from West Jefferson, Ohio (near Columbus)...

How many Cars and Planes Fire and Rescue items went straight to Amazon.com before we found them in stores? Ryker, Lil Dipper, Mama Bernoulli, Jessica Giampetrol/Nate Stanchion and Shawn Krash/Sal Machiani come to my mind... There are still Cars that I haven't found in stores... And I still think my favorite store find of 2014 was finding the missing Movie Moments from 2012 (Miguel Camino/Petra Cartalina and Miles Axelrod with cleaning pitties) at TJ Maxx and Marshalls stores...

I remember finding a couple of Deluxe Bessie several years ago at Burlington Coat Factory stores... Burlington Coat Factory... Why would I go to Burlington Coat Factory? I don't buy coats very often.

We didn't finalize the 2014 Cars product list until the summer of 2014 - almost 8 months after the Mattel year started... that couldn't have helped Cars sales... As of December 31, 2014, we are 2 months into the 2015 Mattel year... I've heard that 2015 Cars singles have been found at a handful of Walmart stores and All4Mase found one Kori Turbowitz at a Walgreens store... those are the only reports I've heard about... I received Movie Moments and a Deluxe case from PCD supporter Get Me Collectibles - thank you, Eli... and I received a set of the singles that I wanted from Ferris - thank you, Ferris... but that's it... I realize that we need new collectors to buy Cars to keep the line going and growing, but Mattel needs better case assortment and distribution to keep retailers ordering their products and us more dedicated collectors interested.

Niftynigel has posted many great items about UK distribution on the site - he has a great understanding of what's going on in the UK and what needs to happen to make it better... some of you may not read about UK finds or what's going on outside the US... but collecting Cars is a world-wide event that requires many people working together to make it happen... There are many Cars and Planes that I would not have in my collection if it weren't for people in the UK, Canada, Australia, and Europe and Asia... and those of you who have won Super Chase Frosty, Silver Frosty, or Neon Frosty from PixarCarsDiecast.com contests wouldn't have those without our overseas friends.

Hopefully we'll see better distribution of the 2015 product line... but I'm not going to hold my breath... I've been collecting Cars since late 2006... I've been through the Desert Back, Supercharged, World of Cars, Race O Rama, Final Lap, Night Skyline, Cars 2, 2013, and 2014 series products... those who don't learn from their mistakes are destined to repeat them... but I'm still hoping for a great 2015, Cars-wise and otherwise.

Thanks for reading.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Brilliant article Chris, really interesting to read!

Just to add another perspective:

Melbourne, Australia has had a great 2014 line. All the singles cases have been released although I've so far only seen 2 case L and 1 2015. We haven't had all of the deluxe at the only store that stocks those - Target, but I'm sure the last deluxe cases will turn up there over the next few months.

We don't get 2 packs.

We were blessed to get our first toons cases in a long time though and got all the RS500 1/2 as well as the 4 pack in target.

We got all the 8 single neons. No 4 pack but that didn't matter.

We got the Radiator Springs case in Toys R Us.

Your theory about distribution centres I think is correct. In Melbourne the distribution centres for Mattel and Target is by a freeway that has easy access to the whole of the city. With a population of nearly 4 million and healthy Cars sales still, each case has mostly been sold and replaced about every 3 months. This means that each store skips a case or 2 but other stores have it at a different, even in the same chain. This has made it possible for all cars to be found at retail.

The ordering by stores has been very good in my opinion. The only over ordering I've seen was by Target when they got a drop pallet in November for Christmas sales. This will mean that Target won't be worth looking at now until March probably!

Good luck to all in 2015!

Comment

How hard would it be for Target to finish the Neons? We only need Francesco, Carla, and Rip! Did I miss anyone?

signature courtesy of BomBom77
      http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyjack View Post
        How hard would it be for Target to finish the Neons? We only need Francesco, Carla, and Rip! Did I miss anyone?
        You forgot Jeff Gorvette!
        Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

When it comes to Mattel, I'll hold my tongue on my opinions of them cause it wouldn't be verbally friendly on here :P They're distribution sucks. They don't finish what they start because the profits aren't pulled in with the expectations of that particular product line. Which is disgusting to me, can't stand people who are only involved in doing something just for the money they'll get out of it. I know they're a business but they need to focus on their customer feedback and realize they're doing something wrong when it comes to the Cars distribution and fix it.
          "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

Great Article, Chris!

I agree. Mattel should just finish what they've started.

Comment

Interesting thing I just noticed when logging in a minute ago. Raoul Caroule is #06 in the movie but #6 in the Ice Racers series

Comment

A great insight to the wonderful and wacky world that is mattel,fantastic read cac1959

Comment

I wanted to wait until the new year is well upon us before responding to Chris's comprehensive article.

There's very few positives to report in the UK right now. A few of the first 2015 cases have appeared at Smyths Toy Superstores. One suspects they could have an almost endless supply of them if they wanted as there aren't too many other retailers in a position to take new stock.

Nearly all the ASDA's I have been to recently have no stock at all, so they are in a position to take new stock. However, ASDA like to be competitive on pricing, so that maybe a reason why new stocks haven't appeared there for some weeks?

Sainsburys appear to have ample stock, so they most certainly aren't in a position to take new stock, unless they take discount old stocks to clear.

Tesco's aren't quite so overstocked, but they have downsized their stock levels across all non-food lines this last year, so it's difficult to see them taking new stock soon.

Wilko surprised me in that they started to sell the Ice Racers (£8) and restocked on the Alberto singles case (£5). They may have taken some Ice Racers to see what the demand was like at the new price levels?

I haven't been to any Morrisons recently, but once again, they are quite price sensitive, so they won't be keen on a huge price hike!

Toymaster don't appear to be too fussed about price. It had been reported that they were already charging £6.99 for singles in some branches.

One store told me that they had put the price of Deluxe up from £10.49 to £11.99 recently in preparation for price rises this year. As they have been competitive, that probably means that Deluxe will be coming to the UK, maybe £12.99 or £13.99? As the special edition singles (e.g. Ice Racers) are usually £1 more expensive than standard singles expect them to be £6.99 (unless stores absorb the hit)?

One reason for the price rises is that Mattel expects production and demand will be lower. This isn't totally unexpected as there are so many other similar type of toy lines to collect these days. I don't expect all cases will be released in the UK again this year. If there isn't the demand, then we may miss a few cases? We maybe glad they only put one of most cars in a case and repeat them often!?

Another insight into pricing is the Hot Wheels Star Wars singles. At £5 they are massively overpriced, IMHO.

Comment

I believe its the prices that are putting people off
                    tesco 6 quid, deluxe 12 quid
                    asda 5.97
                    sainsburys, about the same

problem is most people have all this stuff, spotted the mama/lizzy case in our tescos today, prob is it had been in the warehouse for ages- allegedly

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                      I believe its the prices that are putting people off
                      tesco 6 quid, deluxe 12 quid
                      asda 5.97
                      sainsburys, about the same

problem is most people have all this stuff, spotted the mama/lizzy case in our tescos today, prob is it had been in the warehouse for ages- allegedly

There's probably a whole load of reasons why they aren't selling and most of them are obvious and have been noted on here.

Star Wars took merchandising to a whole new level. Cars is the same. I read somewhere that we've just passed 1,000 mainline products (singles, deluxe, double packs, Toon singles etc.). That's quite phenomenal.

Now just about every film, CGI etc. has a range of merchandise and there is only so much that people can afford. People are now buying Transformers, Iron Man, Star Wars, Despicable Me etc.

We can blame Mattel for poor case contents and too many repeats, not only year on year, but within each year but the fact is Lightning McQueen is popular and he does sell in all his guises. The average number of different cars last year and in 2013 was about 18. That's pretty good for a case of 24 cars.

Maybe we just have to face up to it that Cars has run it's course as a mainline product?

How does Mattel deal with this? They reduce the number of each case produced as demand tails off. It stands to reason that prices will rise as a result. It's a downward spiral. Unless there's a third film, I can't see Cars being around in five (or maybe less) years time.

It looks like the final 2014 case (995C) was not imported into the UK. The previous case (995B) had date stamps 1724EAA, 1904EAA and 2144EAA. Mattel year ends about 300(4EAA). The first 2015 case had a date stamp of 3074EAA. That's nearly three months (August through to October) where next to no Cars were produced for the UK market. As we didn't buy any of them I guess that the Ice Racers may have been manufactured in that period?

If there was a *problem* between August to October, this contributed to both ASDA and TRU being without stock for much of December (when they could've [Jonathan Shiftko'd]) shed loads of Cars! This lack of stock has continued for a few weeks!

The alarm bells started to ring back in the October half term when both Sainsburys and Tesco had sales. Both of these retailers over-ordered the Louie Larue (998U) case. As a result neither of them were in a position to take significant numbers of the subsequent three cases. Without Sainsburys and Tesco there isn't a sufficient number of stores to stock Cars. Collectively, ASDA, TRU, Smyths, Wilko and Morrisons couldn't sustain a buoyant Cars market. Mattel needs all those stores to sell Cars rotating cases between them. If Tesco weren't in such a mess, they could carry Cars alone but they've massively cut back on their non-food stocks. Sainsburys are struggling too.

The number of cases imported reduced from 22,000 in 2013 to 19,000 in 2014 and some stores still have many 2014 Cars on their shelves.

There's probably going to be 12 cases again this year. If there were 1,500 of each of them that's 18,000. I can't see only 12,000 to 15,000 making it to the UK.

Comment

Working...
                      X