Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics - Chase Cars Part 1

What are Chase Cars...???

In August 2008 Mattel introduced the idea of "the chase car". The idea behind it was that in each case of 24 Cars there would be a single, unique Car that would never be repeated (although this didn't end up the case, but it was generally a rule). The name "chase" car is thought to be named as such as you need to "chase" in order to obtain the car.

Collectors hunted far and wide for these Cars - I know I got several requests for Chase Cars in UK packaging from collectors in the US, just so they could get the Car. Typically these cars bring a high price on eBay or private sale, specifically the older Chase Cars. Typically there were no variants on the Chase Cars with the exception of factory errors and some of the Impound Cars being packaged with "confetti".

Chase Cars were usually special Cars (hence why collectors would want to "chase" them). The Cars were originally always manufactured with painted eyes, even when they were distributed in lenticular Car cases up until Lenticular case H where the Chase Car was changed to be lenticular (much to the disappointment of collectors) - some collectors even disassembled the lenticular cars and replaced them with painted eyes!

A number of the latter Chase Cars were a re-release of a previous car (sometimes with a different facial expression, but with an accessory. Collectors requested that they could just purchase a pack of "chase accessories", but this never happened (surprise, surprise!).

Below are details of the first 7 Chase Cars released to date:

Lightning McQueen with Bumper Stickers

This car was the first chase and released in World of Cars case R and comes with painted eyes. This car was released in both a standard blister but also in a (rarer) "angled" blister. In the movie this version of Lightening McQueen can be seen when he is "helping everyone in town" and Lizzie has put bumper stickers on him.

Fred with Bumper Stickers

This car was first chase released in the KMart Day 1 case and also released in World of Cars case T. In the movie this version of Fred can be seen during the closing credits.

Impound Lightning McQueen

This car was released in Race o Rama case A with "confetti" on the blister and also re-released in Race O Rama case H but this time without confetti on the blister (confetti is colored stripes on the inside of the blister). The car comes with painted eyes. In the movie this version of Lightning McQueen can be seen numerous times, most notably when is in the impound lot, in the courtroom and just before he is originally hooked up to Bessie.

Impound Boost

This car was released in Race O Rama case B. Impound Boost was also distributed both with and without confetti (confetti is colored stripes on the inside of the blister). In the UK there there were no confirmed sightings of Impound Boost with confetti. This car can be seen in the movie during the end credits when the Tunerz are all locked in the impound lot.

Impound Snot Rod

This car was released in Race O Rama case C. Impound Snot Rod was also distributed with confetti (confetti is colored stripes on the inside of the blister) - this variant was and is still extremely sought after. In the UK there there were no confirmed sightings of Impound Snot Rod with confetti. This car can be seen in the movie during the end credits when the Tunerz are all locked in the impound lot.

While the rest of the impound Cars have the boot on the front left tire, the boot on Impound Snot Rod is on the front right tire.

Impound DJ

This car was released in Race O Rama case E. This car can be seen in the movie during the end credits when the Tunerz are all locked in the impound lot.

Impound Wingo

This car was released in Race O Rama case F. This car can be seen in the movie during the end credits when the Tunerz are all locked in the impound lot.

Impound Snot Rod, DJ, and Wingo:

Here is a photo showing all 5 Impound Chase Cars:

Watch out for further chase articles coming soon that will finish the entire chase series...
    Last edited by MrBrownstone; 09-27-2011, 02:38 PM.

We didn't really start collecting Chase cars until we started trading about 8 or 9 months ago. Passed up a lot of Chase cars because we weren't looking for that character or we already had another version of that same character. A can of Rust-eze or Organic gas was not enough to make us buy another McQueen or Fillmore. Not until we started trading did I understand how sought after they were. We traded about a dozen Chase Yetis and Signature McQueens and built our colllection up really good.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

the chase car I always wanted was the mcq with bumper stickers, I see you have 2 mrb!

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
        the chase car I always wanted was the mcq with bumper stickers, I see you have 2 mrb!
        Unfortunately not boogity - I have none!!! These photos are someone elses!!!

Comment

Don't feel too bad. We don't have him either.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
          http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

I have 2 of him haha!

Comment

Nice article, MrB... nice photos too.

In my experience, Impound Wingo was the most difficult Impound Chase Car to find... part of it was that the ROR F case was never released in the UK... The Impound Snot Rod with confetti was a very rare packaging variant - very few were produced, and they go for big bucks on eBay... I don't have one and believe it or not, I'm OK with that.

At one time I had a rule that I never left a Chase Car on the pegs... I did end up breaking that rule - there are only so many Cars you can store in a limited area.. there were so many damaged cardback Chase Cars, and I open only one of each (never did open a Chase Van with the actual bumper sticker)... made my own thanks to a GotFrank decal... As Mattel ramped up to make the transition from Cars to Cars2, later cases and Chase Cars were much harder to find - Walmart, Kmart, and Target canceled case orders... I've never seen a US Chase Guido with Paint Rollers and again I'm OK with that... Mattel distribution eventually curbed my enthusiasm for the Cars product line.

Look for more articles in the future... I'm hoping life gets a little less hectic so I can back in the Cars swing...
              Last edited by cac1959; 09-28-2011, 01:52 PM.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Working...
              X