Respect the Classics: No Stall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: No Stall

A few weeks ago I started a series about the Cars Piston Cup racers with an article on Mood Springs... In this article, we'll take a look at another one of the Piston Cup racers and his team - Todd Marcus... better known as No Stall, #123.

One of the earliest boxed sets and at the time of release the most expensive boxed set was the Speedway of the South set... Limited to a run of 1000 pieces, the SOTS set went on sale in May 2008... To be eligible to purchase the SOTS set you had to join the Hot Wheels Red Line Collectors club... I joined in April 2008, and bought one set when they went on sale.

One of these days I'll put the Cars in the display box and put it out on display... For various reasons, many collectors did not purchase the Speedway of the South set when it went on sale... Several of the Piston Cup racers had already been released and they didn't want to purchase Cars they already had... they wanted to purchase just the Cars they needed at the approximate $4.00 price of a single... Unfortunately, Mattel didn't cooperate with those hopes... most of the racers were released, but in various formats and with other Cars or accessories that you might or might not have wanted... In this article, we'll take a look at another one of my favorite racers and other members of his team - No Stall...

Kmart 2: No Stall with rubber tires

The second Kmart Cars Collector Event was Saturday June 20, 2009... Unlike the first Kmart event (October 18, 2008) which featured 5 previously released racers with plastic tires, the second event featured 9 racers with rubber tires and a few new Cars (Todd, Patti, Chase Mario Andretti)... Many people feel this case was the best case assortment Mattel has ever produced... since only 1 of the 18 Cars in the case was No Stall with rubber tires, this No Stall is among the most expensive Kmart 2 Piston Cup racers.

No Stall is one of the 4 Piston Cup racers featured on the Cars Collector Event store poster.

Dinoco 400 boxed set

The first appearance of No Stall outside the Speedway of the South set was in the Dinoco 400 boxed set; this was released during the Supercharged series...

This boxed set featured 3 new racers: No Stall, Vinyl Toupee, and Octane Gain.

Team Gift Pack

No Stall was released with pitty and crew chief in the World of Cars days... Here's a photo of the WOC vertical cardback style:

In this set, we saw that the pitty was named Shirley Spinout and the Crew Chief was named Roman Dunes... This photo is the 3 pack from the first release - notice how both the pitty and the crew chief are labeled as New Models... In a following case, the Cars in the 3 pack do not contain the New Model ribbon... I may or may not still have this set carded.

A little later the Team No Stall was released in the Race O Rama Series as a horizontal boxed set:

At first I wasn't crazy about the re-release in the boxed set... looking back, this style of boxed set is easier to store... I just wish they'd have finished a product line... No Stall was never released as a team crew set with crew chief and 3 pittys.

The Roman Dunes crew chief was released both as a single in the Race O Rama series and as a lenticular single... The Shirley Spinout Pitty was never released as a single... the No Stall racer with plastic tires was never released as a single.

Here are all 3 variations of the No Stall 3 packs:

Here's a picture showing the No Stall racer, crew chief, and pitty opened... note that the crew chief is on a Pit Box; GotFrank sent me a CD containing the graphics for all the pit boxes... I printed them all out - my wife folded and glued several of them for me... we've not finished assembling the rest of them.

No Stall Launcher and Hauler

No Stall was released as a launcher in both the World of Cars cardback and in the Race O Rama cardback... I no longer have a carded No Stall launcher... No Stall was released as a hauler in the same case that included the RPM hauler... I no longer have a second set of all haulers carded... I have seen the No Stall hauler carded at a Toys R Us in the last 3 months; I may pick one for a friend next time I see one in a store... And I may pick one up for myself to see if I can create a custom Dale Junior hauler (they are the same color).

Here's a photo showing the boxed No Stall and RPM Haulers:

Here's a photo showing the opened No Stall launcher along with the hauler, crew chief, and pitty; they are in 2 compartments in one of my Carney Plastics CP-21/24 display cases.

The No Stall launcher was first released on a World of Cars cardback and later released on ROR cardback in launchers case D... I thought I had pictures of both but was unable to find them last night... I just opened my last carded ROR No Stall launcher 2 weeks ago - I sent 17 loose launchers to a friend who is going to create customs of the 17 unreleased launchers for me...

You can see images of both the WOC and ROR No Stall launchers at the following URL:
    http://pixar.wikia.com/Todd_Marcus

Here's a photo of the ROR No Stall Launcher cardback (Photo used by permission of djjd21 - thank you, Jason):

Here's a photo showing the ROR No Stall launcher (Photo used by permission of djjd21 - thank you, Jason):

No Stall/Leakless Movie Moment

No Stall was also released in a Movie Moments with Leakless...

To many of us, our favorite part of this item is the photo on the front of the card where Leakless is on top of No Stall... there was a rumor that Mattel was going to release a version of this 2 pack where the 2 Cars were actually together like they are on the front of the card, just like in the movie... Sadly, they didn't... and by the time this 2 pack was released, Leakless was a pegwarmer and No Stall was becoming one.

No Stall - Mini

No Stall was also released in the Mini Adventures Cars line... you can see my opened Mini Racers and Haulers at the top of this photo...

Here's a closeup of the No Stall from the Mini Adventure series:

I believe it came in a 2 pack with Tank Coat... as you can see in the following photos of the 1:55 racer and the Mini, the Mini has an orange tint to it - it's not red.

And yes... I would have gladly collected all of the Mini series racers and haulers if they'd have only been released.

In Conclusion

I hope you've enjoyed reading about No Stall... We'll take a look at other Piston Cup team sets in future articles.

Thanks for reading... as always, I appreciate your comments.

Chris
    Last edited by cac1959; 03-02-2012, 03:14 AM. Reason: Added more photos

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Another brilliant Article. Im so glad I brought a a case of kmart day 2 event when I had the chance. I still have it and have only opened the box to see contents. 15 different cars in a box of 18, Mattel why don't you do this now. I think them days are long gone. Hopefully the next kmart day won't be too bad as ill be there on my holiday when the event is on. And I will be buying at least one case and getting my poster and store display in person. Look forward to more of these articles.

Comment

Thanks for another great read, Chris. Embarrasing, but somehow all knowledge of a released No Stall pitty escaped my notice. Now I've got to hunt one of those down in this era of overpriced original Cars.

Comment

Thanks for the comments...

You did well to get a Kmart 2 case, MarknotaMack... at one time I had 12 - 3 were for me and others were from friends in other countries who were unable to order them online... they all paid in advance... as I mentioned in the History of Kmart Cars article, I think that the Kmart 2 case was the best Cars case ever.

As far as the No Stall Pitty (Shirley Spinout), unless it came from the factory back door, you had to buy a 3 pack to get it... I did an eBay search on No Stall Pitty during lunch at the following link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

There are very few of the No Stall 3 packs listed and only 1 seller with the loose pitty (has 2)... the loose pitty is cheapest- $20.95 plus $2.95 shipping.

In case you're wondering which racer will be featured next, I don't know... I'm sticking with ones that have been released with launchers and haulers for now... I will be receiving some custom launchers in the not-too-distant future, and once I get those that will open up most of the other racers for articles, including the one requested by Bumper Save...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Great read cac1959

No Stall Hauler and Pitty are still on my want list...

Comment

Wonderful Chris! I have all the team except the Mini and the Pitty loose, wanting to get them. No Stall is quite the character.

Keep up the brilliant work my friend!

Comment

Great stuff Chris all your articles are a great read, how I wish I had started collecting back in 2006-2007.

Comment

great article again chris,thank's for taking the time to post.thought i'd post these up for you.feel free to use them as you wish.

Comment

I still enjoy the scene of Leakless on top of No Stall's roof. One of the first scenes my son acted out once we finally got those cars.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                  http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Wow, the Mini Adventures No Stall sure was a lot different color than 1:55!

No Stall Hauler is the Hauler I want most out of all of the Haulers I don't have. I love his red paint color.

Comment

another great article.

I find these really helpful to show off the various releases of certain cars and their teams.

Very informative (looking forward to a future Octane Gain article )

Transformers for Trade
                      Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Pixar...item27cb4986a3

http://carstoys.wikia.com <--My wiki

http://flickr.com/carstoys/ <--My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X