Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: Low and Slow... Ramone

Low and Slow...

Voiced by Cheech Marin, Ramone had an important role in Cars, painting Cars who needed detailing or new paint jobs... He even was helped by Lightning McQueen once McQueen realized he needed to contribute to Radiator Springs to bring the town back to life... Ramone was released in many different in colors on many different cardbacks... There were times we felt Ramone was a pegwarmer... and other times we were glad to see him on the pegs.

Based on a 1959 Impala, a classic car, Ramone is definitely a classic... It turned out that he fell in love with Flo and married her... that kept Flo in Radiator Springs.

The Ramone's House of Body Art shown in the first picture in this article was one of the 4 Toys R US exclusive playsets... it does light up, but the batteries in mine have reached the end of their life... Here's another picture of the Ramone's House of Body Art opened up:

Ramone has also been in many of the Mater's Tall Tales as well as having a bit part in Cars2...

In this installment of Respect the Classics, we'll take a look at Ramone... or should I say looks at Ramone... or looks at Ramones... I wish I had photos of every carded Ramone, but I don't... I'll add a few more photos later, but for now, here's Ramone...

Carded Ramones

Ramone appeared in every cardback series - in some series, multiple Ramones in a wide variety of colors...

Desert Back Ramone - single, green.

Green Ramone was released as both a Desert Back 12 and a Desert Back 16.

Desert Back Movie Moments - Ramone (Purple) and Flo:

This picture shows the cardbacks of both the DB single and Movie Moments:

The next wave of cardbacks was the Supercharged series... Ramone was released in many different colors in this series, as singles, in a Movie Moments with Flo, and in various multipacks... Here's Ramone in the Radiator Springs Shopkeepers box set - this is the International version - I also have the US version:

Here's the Walmart 8 Ghostlight Ramone - I like the blue...

I have this Ramone both with and without the New snipe... It was actually from the Mater and the Ghostlight short and not the movie.

I believe Purple, Green, Yellow and Hydraulic Ramone were all released as singles in the Supercharged series... there was also a Toys R US exclusive Movie Doubles that featured 2 Ramones in 1 package... it was a pegwarmer for years... I kept telling myself that I'd get one, but I never did.

Here's the cardback of a Supercharged Lizzie - it shows the 3 Ramone singles from the Supercharged series:

I believe Yellow Ramone was part of a Supercharged Value 10 pack; I believe MarknotaMack posted a photo of this 10 pack in Recent Finds back in May 2012.

Here's a picture I took at the local flea market a month or so ago showing some Ramones, including a TRU exclusive Movie Moments:

The next series was the World of Cars series... Many of the previously released Ramones were re-released on WOC cardback... and many new Ramones were also released... Ramone was released as a single, in a Movie Moments 2 pack (again with Flo), and in Gift Packs... Here are some photos:

Purple Ramone and Ghostlight Ramone, International cardback:

Old School Ramone:

Lightning Ramone:

Hydraulic Ramone:

Here's a cardback:

Here's the WOC Flo and Ramone Movie Moments:

Again, it's the same Cars as in the Desert Back and Supercharged series - just on a new cardback design... where have we seen that before?

Lightning Ramone was also released as part of the Lightning McQueen's Crew in a 3 pack Gift Pack in the WOC era:

Additional Ramones were released in the Race O Rama series... most were re-releases from previous series... Ghostlight Ramone was one of them - I have an error card that is Doc Hudson Car and cardback with a Ghostlight Ramone ticket (need to add photo)...

I didn't buy many of these as I already had them... by now it was getting expensive to try to collect them all.

Green Ramone was also released on the Final Lap cardback... again, I don't have this one... people didn't want to buy Cars that had already been released on other cardback... I sent one to the UK but never bought it for myself... Chase Hydraulic Ramone with metallic paint was released with fixed eyes in one of the lenticular cases... I have this Ramone carded in a box somewhere... There were also several Ramones released as lenticulars.

Several Ramones were released in the Story Tellers sets...

Wedding Day Ramone was released as a single:

Wedding Day Ramone was also released in a 3 pack with Brand New Mater and Tractor:

Since Ramone married Flo, it would have been logical that Flo would have been in that Story Tellers 3 pack but as we know, not everything about Cars distribution and assortments is logical.

Retro Ramone was released in a 3 pack with Rusty and Dusty, the Rusteze sponsors:

Retro Ramone is one of my favorite Ramones... I like the color...

Christmas Cruiser Ramone has been released as a Story Teller as part of the 2010 and 2011 Target boxed sets and as a single... Here are photos:

Here's the single:

Here's the 2010 Target boxed set:

Loose Ramones
    I tend to open every Car unless I have just one of them... with as many Ramones that have been released, I have many of them... In no particular order, here we go:

Yellow Ramone:

Ghostlight Ramone:

Lightning Ramone (no idea if this is from a single or from the 3 Car Gift Pack):

Green Ramone:

Wedding Day Ramone:

Retro Ramone:

Purple Ramone:

Hydraulic Ramone (might be the Chase Car):

Chase Hydraulic Ramone with Metallic Paint (might be the regular Hydraulic Ramone)

Old School Ramone:

Ghostlight Ramone on a swivel stand from Ramone's House of Body Art playset:

Cars2 Ramone

Ramone has also made appearances in Cars2...

I like the Lights and Sounds Ramone:

I'll add a photo of my opened one...

Ramone was also released as a Kmart Car that was supposed to be first to market, but it appeared in 2011 singles case F which was released a little bit before the Kmart event...

I know I have the Hydraulic Ramone carded and will add a photo... This Cars2 Ramone was first mentioned in the 2009 Cars Collector Guide as High and Low Ramone but was not released until Cars2 and then with a new name.

Chase Radiator Springs Ramone was released for the first time in 2012 Case C... I have it both opened and carded:

Here's my opened Chase Radiator Springs Ramone:

And as far as upcoming Ramones, there are more coming:

Union Jack Ramone features the British Flag... Here's a photo of the Disney Store version:

The Mattel version has just started to appear on eBay...

And here's the newest Ramone... Not exactly sure of the name, but it appears to be a Hydraulic version of Chase Radiator Springs Ramone...

(Photo used by permission of musicnywu1... thank you, musicnywu1)

I'm definitely looking forward to adding this Ramone to my collection... I wonder if we'll see more Hydraulic Ramones released with different paint jobs; from what I hear, the holes don't match up if you try to make your own using say a Yellow Ramone with the Hydraulic (raised) base...

In Conclusion

It's also no surprise that Mattel has released many different Ramones... they use the same mold, so the diecast is the same... they just have to change paint colors and/or decals/tampos... Since they use the same mold, there's more profit than there is in having to create a new mold.

There may be a few more Ramones in singles and boxed sets that I don't have... I'll add a few more photos to the article... I know I entitled it Low and Slow and I zipped through it rather quickly... but the 1959 Impala is definitely a classic.

As always, thanks for reading... I appreciate your comments and your feedback...

Chris
    Last edited by cac1959; 06-10-2012, 03:31 PM. Reason: Added more photos

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

beezer as per...

dont think you said what your ACTUAL favourite was

low and slow...

Comment

Superb article as always chris.

I love Ramone although we only have a couple in our collection. My fav is the new cars 2 radiator spring Ramone, Love the colours on it

Comment

I spent a lot of time taking photos and working on the article last night and forgot to mention which Ramone is my favorite... not sure I can narrow it down to just one...

From Cars, it would be Purple Ramone with the Metallic Paint Hydraulic Ramone a close 2nd... The Purple Ramone from Cars is much better looking than the Purple Hydraulic Ramone from Cars2.

From Story Tellers, it's probably Retro Ramone with Wedding Day Ramone being a close 2nd.

From Cars2, I like the Lights and Sounds Ramone but don't think Mattel did a good job with the colors from the paint... Of the 2 released 1:55 Ramones, I'd go with Chase Radiator Springs Ramone for now, even though it's a tampo and not painted... When the other 1:55 ones we've seen photos of come out, I'd definitely say the Union Jack Ramone.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Great arcicle as always Chris.
          I have yet to get the Retro Ramone.
          I have this one from the 2010 Canada Diecast Convention:
          DSC01843.jpgDSC01841.jpg

Comment

Green Ramone was our first Ramone that we had on a Supercharged card. Then we got lenty purple and yellow followed by the color change one. Lightning Ramone was the last lenty version we got of him before we got the Chase Hydraulic Ramone with Metallic Finish. That was when BobbyJack began to like the fixed eye cars better. I was able to make trades for Ghostlight and Old School Ramone. Cars 2 Hydraulic Ramone, Christmas Cruiser, and Chase Radiator Springs were the last ones we got. Never got Wedding day and Retro Ramone or the L&S Ramone. Maybe someday. Another Great article!

signature courtesy of BomBom77
            http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

this is one of my favorite articles as ramone is the reason i got into cars collecting. i build classic cars as a hobby and use to do it as a career and i have always love the beautiful lines of an impala. also being a die hard lakers fan i would have to say that my favorite ramone would have to be the yellow one or the one on my avatar. i also just made a purchase for my collection last night and its ramones house of colors of ebay. and i also bought rs ramone saturday morning. im hoping to be able to find all the rest of them soon.

Comment

Union Jack Ramone from Mattel has been seen backdoor!

All I need are RS Ramone, Ransburg Chase Ramone, and Retro Ramone!

Comment

Great article Chris! Ramone has always been one of my favorite Cars... and here is my favorite pic!

I present... the Ramone's!

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

top article again,thank's for taking the time to write it.
                    i like retro ramone's paint job and i also like the new radiator springs ramone from cars 2,it's a shame that there are a lot of discrepancies in the tampo application of the latter.

Comment

Does anybody know if Metallic Hydraulic Ramone and normal Hydraulic Ramone are the same or different? Besides the bumped-out eyebrows, they look pretty much the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fillmore1234 View Post
                        Does anybody know if Metallic Hydraulic Ramone and normal Hydraulic Ramone are the same or different? Besides the bumped-out eyebrows, they look pretty much the same to me.
                        I should have both of them carded in a box on one of my bookcases... I'll look for them and add photos.

Comment

I love ramone, go ramone!!

http://carstoys.wikia.com <--My wiki

http://flickr.com/carstoys/ <--My Flickr

Comment

It's difficult to see the difference between the red hydrolic Ramone and the red metallic finish hydrolic Ramone.. Could you point the exact differences to me, if you would be so kind? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by King Andy View Post
                              It's difficult to see the difference between the red hydrolic Ramone and the red metallic finish hydrolic Ramone.. Could you point the exact differences to me, if you would be so kind? Thanks
                              Andy - it's on my list of things to do soon... Hopefully I'll get the chance this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X