wimbledon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wimbledon

suppose everyone will be cheering on that miserable scot, murray this afternoon (a brit if he wins, a scot if he looses)

cant warm to this guy at all, did anyone see his interview after the semi? he came across as a right berk, and when you compare this to wiggins interview after getting the yellow jersey, well enough said

hope roger thrashes him this afternoon

definitely - like 99% of the uk population i only really take an interest in tennis when wimbledon is on (maybe during the other grand slams and the davis cup to a lesser extent) but certainly get right behind murray

the scottish/british thing got boring years back and i don't really care if he comes across a bit miserable in interviews, i'm interested in how he plays tennis, i'm not inviting him to dinner - before him henman was frequently targeted for being a bit posh and as murray can't get accused of that the miserable angle is always focus on (and that off the cuff remark about england a few years back) rather how good at tennis they were/are

as i say tennis doesn't rank highly in my favourite sports (currently the fast mover is baseball - good win for the reds last night) but i'd still rather watch it than a load of drugged up cyclists riding up and down hills in france

another sport i have little interest in these days is f1 but when i did follow it my favourite driver was nigel mansell - now he was a miserable sod much of the time but that was never the main focus - it was how fast he could point his car round a race track

having said all that i think federer will thrash him this afternoon

Comment

I used to play quite a bit of tennis... had a summer job as a tennis court monitor and I could play if there were a court open... I also coached the high school girls tennis team at my first job I taught 8th grade math and Algebra 2 and actually co-wrote a computer curriculum as the school system got in their first computers in the classroom (that shows you how long ago that's been)...

Haven't played for years or even watched much other than Davis Cup the last few years... I often root for the underdog.

Interesting comment about baseball, yuffie... I lived about an hour north of Cincinnati and went to many Reds games while I was in grades 4 through 11... got 2 tickets to 3 Reds games for being a straight A student many times... saw games back in the days of Crosley Field (late 1960's to early 1970) as well as Riverfront Stadium... The 3rd time they went on strike it took me 2 years to even watch a game on TV - I played for the fun of it... I've only seen 1 major league game in person since the last strike - we were on vacation in St Louis, staying at a hotel on the Mississippi and walked by the stadium which was 1 block from our hotel... they had tickets for the game between the Cubs and Cardinals that night available - I got tickets for 2 adults and 4 kids for around $20 total so we went.

Maybe we need a general thread for sports in general... I like to watch bits of the Tour de France... I'll watch some of the Summer Olympics (I used to run track)... I like to watch NFL football... I may watch a little NASCAR or golf... I like to watch NCAA football and basketball but don't watch much NBA at all.

Back to Wimbledon - if I were betting I'd bet on Federer... but as I root for the underdog I'll be pulling for Murray, if I remember to watch it.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

come on yuffie, british cycling is clean, there are bad apples in every sport, great stage today, time trial tomorrow, mind you never did trust armstrong

tennis , it was closer than I thought

boogity..... he also only follows cofidis, wiggo and cav

Comment

No offence to the Tennis fans but that was sooo boring. Tennis is really really not my thing, Mrs likes it, I just found it irritating lol

Comment

fair enough about the british cyclists

and it was closer than i expected, although that was almost worse as for a set and 11 games it really looked like he could pull off a shock

oh well, back to being disapppointed instead in football (bath city), cricket (somerset), nfl (bengals) and baseball (reds) until next june )

Comment

Well I was rooting for Murray but I guess it's not his year...

Comment

Although I don't watch tennis I was rooting for Murray - I always support the home nations when possible.

I like the analogy on "Brit if he wins, Scot if he loses" boogity... I work with a few Scot's who thought it was amuzing

Comment

did you see murray in the audience for mock the week? give him his due, he had the tennis b.... to do that

Comment

Working...
                  X