Planes- disney store vs other stores, UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planes- disney store vs other stores, UK

Hi bought my son a duo pack in ds a couple of weeks ago and then today just got ishani at smyths toy shop but I have taken any out of packing yet but to me the smyths diecast looks smaller than disney store- are they different? Or is it just me!!!!! And has anyone seen the small diecast echo or bravo over here in uk , yet? Thanks jenny

I know the DS Planes are certainly bigger then the Mattel versions! They look much nicer in my opinion.

Comment

the disney store ones are almost completely diecast whereas the mattel ones one have diecast bodies i think

Comment

Originally posted by yuffie View Post
        the disney store ones are almost completely diecast whereas the mattel ones one have diecast bodies i think
        Correct.

Mattel = comparatively small scale, plastic wings/fins/bits, finish a bit lacking IMO
        DS = comparatively large scale, almost fully diecast, much nicer detail and finish IMO

Originally posted by madjen79 View Post
        And has anyone seen the small diecast echo or bravo over here in uk , yet? Thanks jenny
        Jenny, as for the Mattel Bravo & Echo, only Bravo (silver helmet/Iceman/Kilmer) is due for release in the first wave of four cases and then only 1 example in two forthcoming cases. He's been spotted in the US but nobody has that second case here yet. I'm guessing you won't see Bravo until around the time of film release in August.

Echo (red/Goose/Edwards) isn't even scheduled for a release yet(!) which is annoying given the multiple Dustys, Leadbottoms etc. But he is coming as it's an identical diecast model and he has been seen as a prototype.

Like Scavenger, I went for DS (deluxe only) although later this year I'll probably spring for the much smaller Mattel pair to hang or for the little guy to play with in the car, as the DS ones are just way too big and heavy for that.
        Last edited by Enzo; 07-11-2013, 08:54 PM. Reason: Added T5 case schedule pic

Comment

Does the DS fit the mattel cars better in size?

Comment

Originally posted by dyvel View Post
            Does the DS fit the mattel cars better in size?
            Yes, very much so. Nobody at Mattel knows that planes are meant to be bigger than cars.

There's some comparison photos on T5 somewhere.

*edit* here you go...

http://www.takefiveaday.com/2013/07/...es-comparison/

Comment

'Nobody at Mattel knows that planes are meant to be bigger than cars.'

Nobody at Disney Store knows that planes are meant to be bigger than Cars either. If you compare the 1:43 scale Planes line to the 1:43 scale Cars line that Disney Store actually makes, their Planes soon start looking pretty dang small. Disney Store probably wasn't making their 1:43 Planes with Mattel's 1:55 Cars in mind. They were probably thinking about their own line of 1:43 Cars.

I personally like the smaller size of Mattel's Planes better than the larger size of Disney Store's. They scale quite well with Mattel's own Cars Take Flight line. That, along with how they don't take up near as much storage/display space and that the Disney Store's Planes eyes look more like a zombie's eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fillmore1234 View Post
                I personally like the smaller size of Mattel's Planes better than the larger size of Disney Store's. They scale quite well with Mattel's own Cars Take Flight line. That, along with how they don't take up near as much storage/display space and that the Disney Store's Planes eyes look more like a zombie's eyes.
                My thoughts exactly.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Originally posted by Fillmore1234 View Post
                  'Nobody at Mattel knows that planes are meant to be bigger than cars.'

Nobody at Disney Store knows that planes are meant to be bigger than Cars either. If you compare the 1:43 scale Planes line to the 1:43 scale Cars line that Disney Store actually makes, their Planes soon start looking pretty dang small. Disney Store probably wasn't making their 1:43 Planes with Mattel's 1:55 Cars in mind. They were probably thinking about their own line of 1:43 Cars.

Can't argue with that really, whatever your preference. There's pros and cons of each range, also depending on usage/play vs. storage/display.

As for the dreaded DS eyes, not all the Cars and Planes suffer this, but when they do it's really off putting I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    As for the dreaded DS eyes, not all the Cars and Planes suffer this, but when they do it's really off putting I know.
                    Can't argue with that either! Mater and El Chup definitely need improvement, and while I do know that they have recently gotten a bit better with the eyes on Disney Store's Cars, I can't seem to think of one off the top of my head.

Comment

Thanks for the great answer and link

Comment

Scale-wise, I have collected Mattel cars and am now collecting DS planes. I feel the DS planes "fit" the Mattel cars better. The Mattel Planes seem too small and look the same size as the cars overall. To me, the DS 1:43 planes seem like the right proportion to the Mattel 1:55 cars.

Comment

Working...
                        X