What's going on with Mattel's Cars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on with Mattel's Cars?

It's now November 2018... we are now in the 2019 Mattel year... and there are so many Cars that were supposed to be released in 2018 that we haven't seen.

2018 singles have been very rare... I've seen most of the 2018 Deluxe Cars at Meijer, Target, and Walmart... I've seen the 2018 2 packs at Meijer, Target, and Walmart... but singles are another story.

When Mattel causes someone like me who's been collecting since 2006 to lose interest in the product you know there's a major distribution problem.

What's going on with Mattel's Cars?

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Trump + tariffs + Mattel + a corporation's legal requirements to maximize profits = Picking everything up and moving to Thailand. Which disrupts everything. And since Mattel doesn't own the factories in China. It's highly unlikely they have access to the molds. So everything not already produced will have to begin again from scratch. So I would not hold your breath on 2018 releases. And as an added bonus the chances for more production variants just went through the roof as a result.

Comment

chris, stay positive, sure its always like this, anyway if u lived outside the us you would have lost interest well before now

Comment

spotted a new box of mcqueens in asda , one of em was the mcq behind his advertising logo, at 6.97 he can stay behind it

Comment

I received these from Rhalf in the Netherlands yesterday... no sign of them at US stores.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Metallic Marilyn is nearly as elusive.

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
              Trump + tariffs + Mattel + a corporation's legal requirements to maximize profits = Picking everything up and moving to Thailand. Which disrupts everything. And since Mattel doesn't own the factories in China. It's highly unlikely they have access to the molds. So everything not already produced will have to begin again from scratch. So I would not hold your breath on 2018 releases. And as an added bonus the chances for more production variants just went through the roof as a result.
              Have the feeling too it has something to do with Trump+tariff etc. But it might be China will stay in production for Europe and rest of the world. The plastic test figures that are offered on ebay are from China (correct?). I'm talking about WGP Globie for example, not the plastic but carded diecast. Reported being found on ebay.france yesterday. Now I don't know if these are Thailand or China made....but my feeling says China. Will we see 2 different sources in the future?

edited part 10 minutes later:
              Just read the Globie Super Chase is Thailand, have no clue how it's been determinated being from Thailand, so still wondering.
              Last edited by DaFickser; 11-09-2018, 02:07 PM.

Anatomical illustrations by Jake Parker

Comment

IMHO only, I think the transfer of production might be because of the tariffs and partly the production of many unlicensed copies being made in China. Companies will award contracts to the lowest bidder to maximize profits. If the winner keeps producing backdoor products it might be a nuisance when sales a very strong, but significant when sales are lower. Plus when backdoor products are available before the official release of the genuine products that is embarrassing for the decision makers who grant the contracts.

The lack of Cars at retail is most probably due to retailers not ordering them.One reason is under performance in sales of Cars 3 items after the movie was released. Another is the new comer Jada offering several new toys alternatives to the retailers at a probably improved profit margin to compete with Mattel and Hasbro toys. Even the online Disney Store has significantly reduced the Cars offerings.
                Last edited by toyfountain; 11-10-2018, 09:18 PM. Reason: added the last sentence

Comment

Agreed, many variables are in play. And I find all of yours to be quite relevant.

Also did someone say "Globie Super Chase"?! Mind blown, must have!

Comment

A Canadian member of another Facebook group found 2 Blinkr haulers at a Walmart store in Canada today (November 11, 2018)... near Toronto.... that's 2 new haulers I don't have... and it looks like there are new Minis 3 packs that are Target exclusives... the outer box was marked Target as opposed to the generic Mattel case box.

And yes, Super Chase Globie is a must have, GotFrank.

Comment

Just out of curiosity Chris where was your B$ hauler made?

Comment

from memory cars in holland are bit expensive,,, bit like their diesel/gas,, which is fair enough Isuppose

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
                          Just out of curiosity Chris where was your B$ hauler made?
                          Someone who just saw it at a store in Arizona told me it said Made in China... I will try to remember to check mine when I get home from work.

The Speedy Comet Hauler is also made in China (photos posted on the PCD Facebook group)

Comment

Righton, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                              from memory cars in holland are bit expensive,,, bit like their diesel/gas,, which is fair enough Isuppose
                              They were definitely more expensive than retail price in the US... but thanks to Rhalf (DaFickser) I have them.

Comment

Working...
                              X