Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 New York Toy Fair News - Mattel cancels the Cars Precision Series (or not)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 New York Toy Fair News - Mattel cancels the Cars Precision Series (or not)

Breaking news from the 2019 New York Toy Fair... Mattel has apparently canceled the Cars Precision Series... sales have been low... the only store that was putting them on shelves, Toys R US, shut down and liquidated... I am not happy about this news at all.

Shame on Mattel for promising us they'd finish the complete set of playsets... shame on me for believing them... this is just another in the long list of product lines that Mattel has started and stopped.

Team Crew Sets (crew chief and pittys)
    Team Sets (hauler/racer/pitty)
    Piston Cup Haulers
    Launchers - Mattel released 19 - fortunately GotFrank made me a custom set of the remaining 17.
    Rubber tire racers from Cars 2 (we never got Rip Clutchgoneski with rubber tires/tyres)

I'll try to add more photos from Toy Fair... PCD Facebook member Dane Nelson was there and posted a few photos... Mattel showed new drag racers but I'm not much more interested in them than the Mud Racers and I'm not buying the Mud Racers... there's not much in the way of Cars shown and unless Pixar does an about face and schedules a Cars 4 for 5 to 7 years from now, I don't see much hope for emphasis on Cars going forward.

There are some decent future Cars singles scheduled to now be released in 2019, but the Precision Series was different - designed for the adult collector... and we are only 3 buildings away from it being completed.

The admin of one of the other Facebook Cars sites, Disney Cars Diecast Club, is working on an online petition hoping to get Mattel.to reconsider their decisions concerning the Precision Series and case assortments and distribution,.. I have an e-mail address for a PR person at Mattel to contact but I've not gotten a reply from the e-mail I sent out on Sunday... we even have a Twitter address for Jay Ward from Pixar - rcCars5 sent a Tweet and Jay replied to him... I don't have a Twitter account and am not sure it will do much good.

Anyway... we'll let you know what we know as we find out more information.

I've said for years that Cars sell in spite of Mattel and not because of Mattel... this is yet another example illustrating that.

Chris
    PS  Sally

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

I wish I could say I was surprised... It reminds me of a bit of wisdom I once heard.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Edit: Not add insult to injury, but...

Cars (1) Rubber Tire Racers - Apple (was never gonna happen.)
    Cars 2 Metallic Racers

Pop to mind also.
    Last edited by GotFrank; 02-23-2019, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Here's an update... there have been many posts on various Facebook pages... I hope what we are seeing is sincere and not just an attempt to perform damage control... thanks to rcCars5 for posting this on the PCD Facebook group.

Basically, 3 things were mentioned in the tweets:

1. Mattel is going to engage in a crowd-funding effort to see if they can get enough orders to go into production... look for details.
      2. The Precision Series currently does not have retail distribution but that means they have an opportunity to go directly to their customers
      3. The person who said the Precision Series was cancelled was not authorized to speak on behalf of Mattel and did not have the full story.

I still have not received a reply from my e-mail... as it's been 2 weeks it's looking like I'm not going to get one.

Anyway... what we currently know is that we really don't know anything.... and you know I don't like that.

Cheers!
      Attached Files

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Working...
      X