Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost of online purchases

aftertoon,

being a UK collector and the fact that we have very minimal new cars to collect from stores, i am forced to source elsewhere and end up paying that bit more for items, so my question is

what would you be willing to pay online to ebay sellers or resellers?

1) latest singles

2) latest deluxe

3) latest MM

4) latest exclusives

5) any custom

my latest purchase was cars2 Kabuto, i purchased him from ebay Germany for around £9.99 plus £4 postage, i was very happy to pay this as singles in the UK run at around £4.50 so to have a car that i would probably only see online was a bargain in my eyes.

i know he is out in the US but my carded collection is all on International cards so i needed him to keep up to date, i will purchase another from the states to add to my loose displayed collection

Where i am from is way behind with Cars and i have no idea whether these will be available or not.
    Therefore, i am willing to pay on Ebay or get Cases via resellers.
    The funny part is after importing Cars are still cheaper than the local shops.

I usually set a budget on an item. I will not overpay greatly on stuff that will be widely available soon / easy to obtain.

Example,
    If Hugo is going to release in August then i will not overpay for it.
    If i know a Car is coming out like maybe year end or next year. I will overpay for it.
    I will always overpay for Super Chase.
    I will wait for the exclusive to be cheaper or get it loose.

I think paying 14 GBP for your kabuto is a bargain. The reason why i say this is because you save the hustle and anxiety .
    Some might argue the case but who knows when this will be showing up or will they ever show up.
    I wanted to pull the trigger but i have no rush for this car since the only difference is the based. I will wait a little longer.

Comment

thank you for your reply,

at present i am weighing up to buy case G from the states or just purchase a super chase for around £30,

not being a cars1 collector i never had Kabuto so couldnt pass on the chance

Comment

Originally posted by jonj View Post
        thank you for your reply,

at present i am weighing up to buy case G from the states or just purchase a super chase for around £30,

not being a cars1 collector i never had Kabuto so couldnt pass on the chance
        how much is a case?

Comment

I am in the US but still pay more for many Cars either from friends in other states or countries or on occasion eBay sellers... I have been purchasing from JMDL Toys recently - that has helped me save money on newer releases.

Why do I buy Cars the way that I do? Several reasons...

1. As one of the owners of PixarCarsDiecast.com, members expect to see new Cars on the site... I can't very well expect others to do all the buying.

2. I have seen too many Cars items released in other countries that never were released in the US... El Materdor, Chuck Choke Cables, Brian Parks Motors, the Spare Mint World of Cars (vertical style ) gift pack come to mind... I have had Deluxe The Queen, Kimura, and Funny Car Mater for over 2 months... they are just now turning up with US online resellers.

3. My closest Toys R US and Target stores are between 55 and 75 miles away... we have one Walmart store in the county - the only singles are Finn, McQueen, and Francesco... the only 2 packs are Finn/Tomber and Mater/Zen Master Pitty... the only Deluxe is Submarine Finn McMissile... The only Lights and Sounds are McQueen, Mater, and Finn (although they could have Spy Mater and Spy Finn McMissile)... the next 4 closest Walmart stores have the same selection... Change the store name to Meijer - the Cars are the same... Change the store name to Kmart - the Cars are the same but they do have a couple of Mater and Jeff Gorvette singles as well as a few Kmart 8 Francesco and McQueen left... Big Lots got in a shipment of singles that has Lewis Hamilton, Carlo Maserati, Holley Shiftwell, Professor Z, Grem, and Acer in addition to Finn, McQueen, and Francesco... Kohl's has had nothing new since before Christmas... I have to drive between 100 and 250 miles round trip to go to cities that may or may not have new Cars... I used to make a dedicated Cars shopping run every 4 weeks... I've made 2 since Christmas time - one of those was for the Kmart 8 event.

I am trying to limit myself on the newer singles, Movie Moments, and Deluxe... On the exclusives, I may pay someone to buy them for me at Target and TRU since I don't have them locally... I prefer to get those exclusives from a friend who lives in the same state (Indiana) or in the same postage zone to save on shipping costs...

As far as customs are concerned, I have bought customs from several custom makers during the years... the only one currently still doing those is Shopluckey from Custom Toy Revolution... he in not cheap, but his work is brilliant and he has excellent communication skills... I paid just under $65.00 for each of my last 2 Shopluckey customs (Apple and Red Ransburg McQueen)... I also have a couple of friends who have helped me out with customs as well... I wish I could make them... but I would require training.

Chris

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by djjd21 View Post
            how much is a case?
            jason,

JMDL sell for $93 or $98 but with shipping at $50 it works out at around £93, i could resell some of the newer cars and make a few ££'s back and have more spares for customs or trading.

but it comes down to how much i want to pay for a super chase as its the only car in the case i need, or do i wait a month and go for the case with china super chase car in.

Chris thanks for your input always good to know what people state side look for when buying there cars, i must admit i try and get new releases as quick as i can as you never know over here in the UK if we will ever see them!

i to over paid for my 2 sets of the queen,mater and ref deluxes but the chances of them being on sale in the UK are very slim.

jon
            Last edited by jonj; 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM. Reason: wrong name

Comment

I bought case G recently for the Flash super chase. Paid $112 USD with shipping. In hindsight I should have passed. Flash was selling on eBay at first for $167 USD a piece. Those have now dropped to $50 USD. I should have just bought it on eBay at that point. I then could have picked up the other 3 new cars in the case at cheap prices and probably had everything I needed for $75.

I don't buy customs at all - my collecting focus is 100% on authentics released by Mattel or Disney store.

I buy most of my rare cars on eBay - but I know what the value of the cars is so I'm not just paying any number. Some people like the 2006 Factory Sealed Set sellers out there think their item is worth thousands of dollars but it's not. The ones that are actually selling range from $700-$900 USD. Try to telling that to the guys asking $2500-$3500 USD for their sets - hence they sit out there unsold.

Comment

Since i collect multiple per character so I did not hesitate to buy a case.
                Unless the case assortment is terrible till 1 new out of 24, otherwise i will be buying 1 case for each super chase.
                I will keep the extra, sell it or just include them as my son's gift to friend.

In addition, the cost of online purchase sometimes is not the item itself.
                Is the shipping that kills. Is important to find a seller that don't overcharge.
                I know seller need to cover the cost of box, wraps, pop corn and everything.
                Sometimes, some sellers just overcharge you like 10 USD on these...

Comment

Working...
                X