A note from Chris regarding use of photos and content

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A note from Chris regarding use of photos and content

I want to give everyone a heads up... I've learned that photos and content from PixarCarsDiecast.com, carsthetoys.com, TakeFiveADay.com, JMDLToys.com and other sites have been taken and posted by someone on their own Cars blog... I've seen photos that I've posted on that blog as well, including some that were sent to my cell phone via text messages... this person has not been asking for permission and has not been giving credit to the sites he's taken photos and content from... that's not cool at all.

I've been in contact with administrators and moderators at other sites impacted by this person... steps will be taken to address what this individual has been doing... we have the ability to restrict a user's access so they cannot post on PCD and users can be banned at PCD and at other sites as well.

At PCD, we don't post photos without permission of the person who took the photos or posted them... we don't find something at another site and pass it off as our own... If I want to post a photo from someone else, I contact that person and ask for permission... some of you send me PMs or e-mails with photos and give me permission to post them on the site - I appreciate that, and so do the rest of us... it's the right thing to do.

If someone wants to use photos that I've taken and posted on PCD and use them on another site, they need to ask me and get my permission... if they want to use photos that you've taken and posted on PCD or another site, they need to contact you and get your permission... it's that simple. Just because something is posted on the Internet doesn't mean that it can be used by everyone everywhere they want to use it... if you want to post content and photos that appeared at PCD (or another site) on another site, you need to get permission from the person and give credit - link back to where the content and photos appeared.

If you have a question about whether you should post something, please send me or one of the other moderators or administrators a PM asking... and if you find something on another site from PixarCarsDiecast.com without credit being given, please let us know as well... MrBrownstone, GotFrank, djjd21, cvc1968, Peter McQueen, pirelliboy, and I use the same names on other sites so if you see a post by cac1959 on carsthetoys.com, TakeFiveADay.com, www.worldofcars-forum.fr/, or the PCD Facebook page, those are fine... I don't post on other sites and you shouldn't see my photos and content on those other sites without permission being stated and a link back to the original site.

I may have to start using watermarks on photos again... it's more work, but it needs to be done... and since I might post the same photo on multiple sites, I may have to store the same photo multiple times on my Photobucket account or come up with a watermark that I can use on multiple sites.

I wish I wouldn't have had to post this, but I wanted to get the word out... as far as we know, it's one person who's taking things from others and using them without permission and without giving credit... we've got outstanding members on PCD - we're not going to let one or two bad apples mess things up for everyone else... we do things the right way, and we're going to continue to do so.

Let's have fun with Cars but do it the right way.

Many thanks,

Chris
    cac1959

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Very well said Chris.
    I do hope I am not one of those. I usually try to credit them as I see them. I may have slipped on a few posts either here or on WOC. I'll try and be more vigilant on my posts from here on out.

Transformers for Trade
    Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

There is one blatant perpetrator at large D-Cog & it ain't you.

But thanks for your cooperation!

Comment

It is crazy how this is so common. We deal with it on a regular basis. We work hard to take quality pictures and are very comfortable giving those pictures out to sites like PCD and others. Not to mention granting access to the sellers out there we work with. The most frustrating thing out there is seeing one of our competitors using our pictures to sell their merchandise.
        I agree with everything here, permission first, then give credit back. I think some people forget pictures on the internet are property/intellectual property... it is most certainly not okay to steal them. Not to mention the act of linking back is a very big deal as well. Popularity of sites operate on clicks/views/visits. That poularity is instrumental in the longevity and health of any site.
        I am sure this will all resolve itself and in the meantime whoooo-hoooo for new cars to take pictures of

Comment

Just one misconception I'd like to clear up... many people use Google Images to search for pictures of items... When Google Images finds something you're looking for (example, a photo of Rip Clutchgoneski), it links to the site that the image is hosted on... Google does not host the image files - Google Image is just a search tool.

Again, if you have any questions as to whether or not it's appropriate to post a photo or some other content, please ask me, MrBrownstone, or one of our moderators.

Thank you.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I echo what Chris has said. It's not difficult to ask for permission and certainly not difficult to give credit and link back...

And Decepticog, this is concerning one member (well someone who has an account on here) certainly not you.

Comment

thanks for the clear up

and I do agree with you guys...I remember when I used to frequent the Epic Games (gears of war) forums and I photoshoped one of the guns from the games in a different colour for a contest and the picture kinda went crazy circulated over there. No one giving proper credit to it and even going as far as calling me a liar when I posted and advsed that it was not real and that i was the creator. Thank goodness the moderators stepped in and deleted the thread in question. It was definitely very insulting. I'm no longer active on that board because it's just a big giant hula baloo over there.

Transformers for Trade
              Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

This is a very common issue and one of the reasons why we try not to put pictures on forums, facebook and twitter if possible. We take time in producing our photos and report anyone who tries to use them.

Luckily our photos are quite distinctive, Chris I would recommend you do the same.

One program that can help in these situations is adobe photoshop using 'batch processing', if you have 300 images that you want to apply an action to then you can do it and then just leave the computer to do the work. Problems occur when photos are a different resolution and size though. There are quite a few pieces of software out there that can save you time with this or add watermarks to mutiple images in one action. I am sure others on the site might have experience with this aswell...
                Last edited by madbob; 11-18-2012, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Well I only have a camera on my phone and a krappy digital one from 2006. As you can tell from my trade list and collection pics, my work is nothing that anyone would want to copy!

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                  http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

I cant believe this goes on. I myself am not that great at taking pictures and only use basic skills to upload them and wouldnt have an idea of how to add watermarks. That is why I havent added my collection on any forum, but would love to. I only put on few pictures on here from time to time and can only hope mine have not been used for someone elses use.

Comment

Working...
                    X