The K.I.N.G. RV Convoy Brothers Are For Real! And $100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    I guess I'm different to most in that as much as I like them, even the cool Dinoco box, I'm just not even tempted to put down the best part of $150-200 it would cost (shipping plus almost-certain import taxes) to acquire these guys.

The idea of keeping them in their plastic coffin (which is what 99.9% of buyers will do, just like Barry Diesel) just doesn't appeal. Cars are toys to be played with but even these suggest otherwise with that "For Adult Collector" notice attached.
    must be a west country thing as that's exactly how i feel!

i've got a barry diesel but he's out of the box (though i have kept it) and in with all my other opened cars

i generally don't like these items that are easily available to a very small number of people though i guess i might feel differently if the uk ever had something like it
    Last edited by yuffie; 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

So who here ordered a Convoy set and how many? I put down for 3. Will be a great piece.

Comment

Im in for a set! Can't wait!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

I have ordered 4 of them 2 of which will be headed to Germany and the UK

Comment

I ordered 2 sets and am holding out hope for more on MattyCollector.com.

Comment

from the post on take 5 the bros are about the size of elvis rv rather than the size of barry
              so they could have sold these 4 as deluxes if they had wanted too

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                I guess I'm different to most in that as much as I like them, even the cool Dinoco box, I'm just not even tempted to put down the best part of $150-200 it would cost (shipping plus almost-certain import taxes) to acquire these guys.

The idea of keeping them in their plastic coffin (which is what 99.9% of buyers will do, just like Barry Diesel) just doesn't appeal. Cars are toys to be played with but even these suggest otherwise with that "For Adult Collector" notice attached.
                I'm with you on this one. I might go as far as $50-60, but that would be about it.

Comment

I think those who don't buy this set even at a premium will regret it. I can see easily it going for $250-300 in a few years on the secondary market.

Im taking my dad down with me and we are gonna pick up a bunch of them. Can't wait to see how it goes down at the expo. Hope they produce a lot so everyone in line can get however many they want!

Comment

holy cow, they are pretty tiny. I have expected them to appear in the same size as Barry Diesel. They are still nice, but i am a little disappointed, maybe disenchanted is the better word for my emotional state.

Comment

They are going to be $250-300 by this Xmas!

I am disappointed in the size as well. When the biggest one is about the same size as Dustin, that's sad.

Comment

wow, so it's $100 for four cars that would sell individually for $8-9 as single deluxes plus an (admittedly nice) box - i assumed they would be similar size to barry diesel

if i hadn't already concluded they weren't of interest to me that would have been a deciding factor

Comment

Originally posted by maxgc53 View Post
                          I think those who don't buy this set even at a premium will regret it. I can see easily it going for $250-300 in a few years on the secondary market.

Im taking my dad down with me and we are gonna pick up a bunch of them. Can't wait to see how it goes down at the expo. Hope they produce a lot so everyone in line can get however many they want!
                          This is the oxymoron of collecting cars IMO! Personally I collect for my son to play with them. Would I like to have these in the collection, sure, but the box would be ripped open and they would be well played with. At those prices, Mattel can kiss my shiny white a$$.

I'm all in with Enzo on this one. This is purely an exercise in milking the collectors out of more money which is uber ironic as since when has Mattel cared about giving the collectors what they want? They arent worth $10 singularly, never mind the extortion of $100 and yes, they may well be fetching that price by Christmas and later on but so what? Does that mean you should go and buy 20 just so you can turn a profit in 12 months time? I know some folk are helping others out but others are purely looking to line their own pockets at other collectors expense and, quite frankly, it sickens me.

Sad thing is, if every collector only bought one of these, there would likely be a fair few left for everyone at RRP and it may even force the price down in future as the demand isnt as great as Mattel thought. Some people getting 6 then going back in line for more.......bonkers!

For what its worth, I wont regret having them in the collection, as much as I would like to. Ive managed without Bessie, Frank etc, so this is one more that wont be joining anytime soon.

Comment

agree guys, the film came out in 2006 and its now 2013, now if the set hadda come out in the aftermath of the film, fair enough, but not now, no doubt there will be something else out next year, syd van der camper ,maybe
                            i,m not prepared to spend this amount of money for something to sit in the attic/playroom gathering dust, and anyway her indoors/cmb (yuffie) would not allow it downstairs

stiil ru5ty has plans to purchase so i,ll see his!
                            Originally posted by Bombom77 View Post
                            This is the oxymoron of collecting cars IMO! Personally I collect for my son to play with them. Would I like to have these in the collection, sure, but the box would be ripped open and they would be well played with. At those prices, Mattel can kiss my shiny white a$$.

I'm all in with Enzo on this one. This is purely an exercise in milking the collectors out of more money which is uber ironic as since when has Mattel cared about giving the collectors what they want? They arent worth $10 singularly, never mind the extortion of $100 and yes, they may well be fetching that price by Christmas and later on but so what? Does that mean you should go and buy 20 just so you can turn a profit in 12 months time? I know some folk are helping others out but others are purely looking to line their own pockets at other collectors expense and, quite frankly, it sickens me.

Sad thing is, if every collector only bought one of these, there would likely be a fair few left for everyone at RRP and it may even force the price down in future as the demand isnt as great as Mattel thought. Some people getting 6 then going back in line for more.......bonkers!

For what its worth, I wont regret having them in the collection, as much as I would like to. Ive managed without Bessie, Frank etc, so this is one more that wont be joining anytime soon.

Comment

in addition to the above, im not prepared to join the chase/hastle of getting one of these, dont like this system at all

Comment

I'm not too worried about the size. If these four guys were as large as Barry Diesel, I wouldn't know where to display them. The details on these four guys look awesome! There is no way Mattel would be able to put these out and charge you for only a deluxe. If Mattel sells out of these, I expect we will get McQueen's biggest fan, Albert Hinkey, one of these days.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                                http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Working...
                                X