Rare At First

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare At First

What car did you buy extra of because it was rare, only to have mattel flood the market with it later?

mine was the hudson hornet lightning mcqueen

Wo For me it was Komodo, When they first started hitting ebay for over £50 each I thought their was no chance of picking him up. Tescos then brought out the cars toons endcap displays and flip me I picked up about 50 of them, well between me and a fellow collector who sent them onto a lot of members on take5.

Comment

I like my steaks rare, not my Cars!

Comment

Case B from Cars 2 was really helpful to me back in March of 2011. Family Dollar put these out a few months before the release date and I was able to trade a whole bunch of them. Got quite few Cars 1 releases for our collection that we missed because we didn't start until 2009.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
        http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Very good question... not sure I can mention just one...

I know that I stocked up on the same Cars2 B case singles that bobbyjack did... I also did buy several Hudson Hornet Piston Cup McQueen that carslover mentioned - I bought several at Kohl's stores at $4.99 each...

Way back at the beginning of the team crew sets I picked up 4 each of the Leakless/HTB/Dincoco sets with crew chief and 3 pitties... once again Mattel flooded the market with the first case (even though it was a Target exclusive) which ended up being the beginning of the end of that series... And at one time I had at least 6 of the TRU exclusive Sarge's Boot Camp set... which ended up being a TRU pegwarmer for the longest time...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

For me it would be the Combat Ship hands down. Paid $150 and got absolutely soaked on it cause Disney re-released it last October. It's value now is about $30-$40 so it just sits in storage. Another one would be Dexter Hoover checkered flag - I paid $65 for him cause he was super rare in the Final Lap series. But as soon as word leaked that he was going to be re-released in case D this year I immediately unloaded him for $55. Lost $10 on him but would have lost more had I waited until case D came out. Current value today of Dexter Hoover today is $4. So some difficult lessons learned along the way. I'm a lot more careful these days.

Edit: a little thing I learned with Mcqueens is that none of them are ever rare - regardless of the sticker or minor change Mattel makes to him. I have 4 cases of Mcqueen stacked in my office that I can't even give away. I submitted a form to a kids charity a few weeks ago just to get rid of them and heard back from them 3 days ago that they already have too many Mcqueens. So it's a sad day when a charity rejects your pegwarmers.

Comment

Mine was probably Chick Hicks. I never found him once during the Desert Back era so when he was released during the Supercharged era I bought around 10 of just him, making sure I got one that time around.

Come to think of it, I actually did that quite a bit for most of the Supercharged characters.

Comment

I could use a Komodo...

Comment

Mine was the the supercharged cruisin mcqueen. He was hard to find to start and word went round he was gonna be rare so like a fool I brought 10 when I thought I struck gold at tru. In the 2 weeks after that he was everywhere but he was rare for the first couple of days

Comment

Working...
                  X