The "Gaaaahhh, I wish I had bought...? Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Gaaaahhh, I wish I had bought...? Thread

You know the 'kick yourself' feeling...you see it, fair few in stock, figure you'll pick it up at the weekend.

Bam! Too late. Aarrrgghhhh.

Or worse, you're on the edge , holding it in your hands even and deliberate for whatever reason.

Regret, frustration and pain all follow.

What Cars-related item did you seriously have remorse about not buying when you had the chance? The rarer the better the story.

And did the story have a sad ending, a happy one, or somewhere in between like my experience where you eventually got hold of said item at a later date but having paid a heavy price (2-3x) for your earlier procrastination?

Good topic, Enzo... I will have to think about it for a bit...

A lot easier than I thought... In November 2007, KB Toys was coming out of bankruptcy and closed over 150 stores, including our local one in the Richmond Square Mall... they were liquidating their merchandise... I must have seen (and left) 12 Rollin Bowlin Mater sets at $9.99 plus tax... at the time I hadn't started collecting Cars yet in earnest... I probably only had a dozen total... If only I could turn back time...

I ended up getting a boxed set for $75 shipped, and got a loose Rollin Bowling Mater for $45 shipped... for the same amount of money I could have bought 12.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Mine was not buying a standard Lightning McQueen! No joke. It was when I first started collecting. I saw a Supercharged McQueen with a big gaping hole in his fender. At the the time I looked at it & chuckled. But since I learned about errors, I've regretted leaving him behind ever since.

Comment

well i planked a frank on the top shelf in tescos planning on getting it after work. to my horror the security guard seen my antics and put it back, and yes someone else got it...
        Last edited by Ru5ty; 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM.

Comment

When I heard Frosty was coming out I went hunting the major stores for him. At the time I did not know he would only be at Target.

At a Kmart I saw a Rip Launcher but was so focussed on finding Frosty that it did not register that I have just seen a rare car(I was not collecting launchers either).

So I left Rip without even a second glance, disappointed that no Frosty was found. When I got home it clicked what I just did. Next day I went back and he was gone! Never saw another Rip Launcher again.

Ironically I ended up trading a Frosty for a Rip Launcher later!!

Comment

Mine was just not starting when I first saw Cars. I was at a buddy's house and his kid had Gray, Chick & Mack haulers and I thought they were awesome.
            I decided to start collecting after Cars 2, so I was way behind the curve.

I think I did see some Light up DS Tuners that didn't get and am now chasing, haha.

Comment

I think mine would be the time in 2009 when i found around 4-6 Franks at a Kmart once. Grabbed one, then when i was walking away to the checkout i noticed his eyes had weird paint, so i went back and looked and they all did. So, I still just bought that one. Never saw another Frank again. Being one of the most prized possessions to just about every car collector in the world, I wish I'd grabbed them all!

Ka-Chigga, Ka-Chow, and Ka-Ciao! - DjB

Comment

I passed on Mattel Frank when I found him in a cube in TRU during the summer of 2010. I already had the Disney Store Frank and I thought it scaled better. If only I had picked some up to trade!

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Originally posted by DjB View Post
                  I think mine would be the time in 2009 when i found around 4-6 Franks at a Kmart once. Grabbed one, then when i was walking away to the checkout i noticed his eyes had weird paint, so i went back and looked and they all did. So, I still just bought that one. Never saw another Frank again. Being one of the most prized possessions to just about every car collector in the world, I wish I'd grabbed them all!

Yeah, I think his eyes are supposed to be that way (if I'm picturing the same thing you've described).

Comment

Here's my list;

Rollin' Bowlin' Mater
                    Vinyl Toupee Hauler
                    Shifty Drug Hauler
                    Mood Springs Launcher
                    TRU 5 Pack w/ Hank Hallsum and Mia and Tia w/ Tray
                    Cars Toon 4 Pack w/ Nurse Mia and Tia
                    Dirt Track Doc Hudson

These were all Cars that I saw at a store but didn't buy for some dumb reason.

Comment

When I first started collecting last year, I was at Kmart and saw one of each Jeff Gorvette/John Lassetire and Francesco/Giuseppe 2-packs. Since I already had singles of Jeff and Francesco, I didn't want to buy the doubles. I did not realize at the time that I could have traded them for some good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris View Post
                        When I first started collecting last year, I was at Kmart and saw one of each Jeff Gorvette/John Lassetire and Francesco/Giuseppe 2-packs. Since I already had singles of Jeff and Francesco, I didn't want to buy the doubles. I did not realize at the time that I could have traded them for some good stuff.
                        Same here...Saw those two plus Carla/Cruz 2-pack but didn't want to get suckered into buying a second racer just to get the crew chief. I sure showed them.

Comment

The five John Lassetire (movie crew car) for $25 each on ebay. Start the sad music now.... I have told this sad story before. LOL I even put a link to it to help others buy it... without buying one myself thinking it will probably show up in the U.S. soon. (And I usually buy anything new.. I just thought $25 was a tad overpriced for a new car .....not knowing what it really was at the time)

Comment

For me its probably not collecting earlier, we missed out on loads for the first 3-4 years as we started collecting in 2009, so we missed out on all the original fixed eye series and the first lenticular series. Our lad was born early 2007 and diecasts weren't great for teething. I actually didn't think much of the film when it first came out!

Comment

The big one that GOT AWAY!!!!

I posted some pictures of my collection today and answered a question for another member that sparked an idea for a new thread. Heck, a similar thread may already have been started some where, but I didn't take the time to look. Hope that doesn't offend anyone!! LOL Any hoo .... anyone every look back at their collecting career and think, "Dag gum , I should have NEVER LEFT THAT THERE!! I should have BOUGHT IT!!" or " DAG GUM, I should have traded for THAT when I could have!!" Well, I can think of 3 instances over the last 7 years when it comes to Disney Cars ...

1) Buying the SOTS. The Speedway of the South Set was originally bought for me .. by me ... with the family's permission ... as a Fathers Day present lol At the time I couldn't BELIEVE I was doing it ... I had to talk myself into it for weeks! Well, not days after buying one I thought to myself, DAG GUM, I should have bought 2!! I could have held on to it for a little while and then sold it for enough to cover the first set, the second set and had some left over to cover new cars!! DAG GUM!!! Why did i not do THAT!!!!! As you all know, they go for a pretty penny these days!

2) Rolling Bowling Mater!! There used to be a toy chain called K.B. Toys here in the States. They had a clearance outlet just north of here. I remember walking in there on 2 different occasions and seeing dozens of Rolling Bowling Mater sets for $18. I only bought 2 of them. One for myself and one for the kids. A few months later, they became hard to find and I decided I should help folks that were looking for them. I went back to that clearance store ... they were GONE ... not just the Mater sets ... the ENTIRE CLEARANCE STORE!! It has closed ... it as not long after that ALL K.B. Toy stores closed. DAG GUM, I should have bought those!!

3) El Materdor! I have made many friends all over the place through the love of Cars! I traded for 1 El Materdor very early after its first release overseas. I could have traded for a couple more to help folks but I figured I would pick them up when I found them on the pegs here in the States a month or so down the road .... well, everyone KNOWS how that went ... they were never released HERE in the States!! DAG GUM, I wish I would have traded for those when I could have!!!!

So ... what kind of stories do you all have about the one that got away?!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X