No announcement yet.

The "Gaaaahhh, I wish I had bought...? Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollin' Bowlin Mater was my worst decision. I saw hundreds of them at both Walmart and KB Toys back in 2006 but didn't buy a single one of them because I didn't like the look of the Mater and didn't want some random playset. I think KB Toys had them clearanced to about $8 but I still didn't budge.

I also regret not getting Vinyl Toupee and Shifty Drug Haulers when I saw them for $19 each at Kohls. Now I have to pay double for that on ebay or amazon if I want them now.

I even remember where I would see so many new Cars in one stop at places like Toys R Us that I couldn't buy them all! I remember passing up Nurse Mia and Tia in the RSM 4 Pack, the Flo's V8 Cafe Pack with Hank Hallsum and Mia and Tia w/ Tray, and more.

Oh, and don't even get me started on my stupid decision to buy the Lightning Ramone vertical three pack instead of the Dirt Track Doc Hudson one. Why didn't I just buy both of them?! Of course with my luck Lightning Ramone got released every year since then and Dirt Track Doc never got released again.

Finally, I also regret not going to KDay 2 since I wasn't a big fan of Kmart at the time and didn't think taking the trip was worth it.. Because of that decision, I still don't have Mood Springs, Vitoline Pitty, Mini, and the Chase Mario Andretti.

Comment

Originally posted by jestrjef View Post
      eck, a similar thread may already have been started some where, but I didn't take the time to look. Hope that doesn't offend anyone!! LOL Any hoo ....
      http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...-bought-Thread

Comment

Thanks Enzo! Maybe the two threads can just be combined!

Comment

No worries it's always an interesting topic Jeff worth a bump and merge.

Less relevant these days because everyone has learnt to grab when they see things due to painful experience.

Just you wait, we'll get a repeat of the "Frank" therapy sessions any minute ha ha...

Comment

This question has come up before. But the only real kick-myself moments are: Once my wife called and said she found two Franks on the pegs. I told her since we have one loose & one carded we didn't need them, d'oh! And when I was first collecting I saw a standard C1 LMcQ on the peg with a huge gaping hole in his right fender. Where a void was made during the casting process. I laughed and kept on going. An error like that would have been very valuable to some folks. But I was new and had no idea about errors at the time.

Comment

Threads merged.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Just you wait, we'll get a repeat of the "Frank" therapy sessions any minute ha ha...

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
                Once my wife called and said she found two Franks on the pegs...
                Ahem...

Comment

In early May, before you became active on PCD, jestrjef, we started a thread called;

http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...-bought-Thread

As not a lot of people replied to it then, we'll try again.

We must be a lot alike in our collecting habits, jestrjef... mine is similar.

1. My wife was furious at me for buying 1 Speedway of the South set... less than a week after I received mine, she asked me why I didn't purchase more of them.

2. I left many Rolling Bowling Mater sets at the local KB Toys as they closed... I hadn't started collecting in earnest yet... in fact, my grandson might not have even gotten me started on Cars yet... by the time I finally got one through a friend it cost me $75.00

3. I only traded for 2 El Materdor Deluxe... I too had more offers but thought, it's got to be coming in stores... because of that, I often pick up multiples (too many) of items that appear on international cardback first... I don't know when the next El Materdor, Chuck Choke Cables, Brian Parks Motors, etc, is going to come along.

4. I wish I'd have started collecting when the 2006 Factory sealed set was available... I would have bought one... I'm not sure if I'll ever add one to my collection.

5. I wish I'd have bought all the Final Lap case B singles, Antonio and Dexter Hoover with Checkered Flag that I saw... I only saw them one day at 2 Indy Target stores and it was before payday and funds were tight.

6. I wish I'd have bought all the Final Lap re-releases... A few months ago I decided to buy the remaining 5 (of the 10) that I didn't have - I spent $100 for the last 5... now I've decided to pick up the remaining Supercharged Cars that I need to complete that series... I probably had them all, but opened several of them... I tell myself I won't pick up the remaining World of Cars Cars that I need... but having already picked up Desert Back 12 and DB 16 after the fact, and Final Lap (again after the fact), don't rule it out... You can rule out me collecting all the lenticular singles - I had them all and sold all but a few of them last summer

7. I wish I'd have bought multiples of the SDCC special releases.

8. I wish I had a larger home and Cars room(s) so I could better display my collection, organize my extras, and enjoy.

Thanks for merging the threads, GotFrank... I was working on a reply when we had a network problem on campus... when I returned from fixing that I finished my post and got the message that the thread was not accepting new posts... now I know why.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Thanks for the merge ... look forward to reading more stories from other members!

Comment

I wish I would have bought all the world of cars and supercharged movie moments when I saw them in the store. My son was little and we didn't really collect them yet. They are not super expensive on eBay, but it starts to add up since there is so many of them.

Comment

I was out shopping this past Christmas and I saw a gaggle of Mack Haulers at one Walmart. Must have been at least 10. Wasn't on Santa's list and Santa had already gone overboard, so passed on them all. Santa did find the Rip that he was looking for at the next stop, though.

Comment

I have a few regrets. The biggest one of course is not having a SOS set. I was collecting at the time but just didn't know enough about how to get one. I hadn't stumbled onto Take5 yet and was still just buying what I could find in stores and going on ebay to find out what new Cars were coming out.
                          Second is the old Rollin Bowlin Mater story. My KB had a pile of them on clearance and it took forever for them to sell out. I did buy 2, one to open and one to keep in box.
                          Third is Bessie. I found 4 at TRU around Christmas time the year she came out. I did buy all 4 but here is the dumb part, I returned 2. It was Christmas and I wanted the money to buy something else. Of course I never saw her again. There are probably lots more sad stories, I just can't think of any more right now, it's too painful LOL.
                          Last edited by Micky; 07-17-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Nice story about Bessie, Micky... I never found Bessie at a major retail store - picked up 3 for friends at Burlington Coat Factory stores... Mine came on International cardback from friends in the UK; I can't remember if I have a US version or not.

And to think about other threads on the site... how about a boxed set with Bessie, McQueen (or McQueen with Shovel or Tar McQueen), and Sheriff... I'd buy that one without hesitating.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
                              Once my wife called and said she found two Franks on the pegs...
                              Ahem...
                              LOL
                              Funny, I don't feel any better...

Comment

Raoul/Bruno 2 pack lol

saw them for $5...but bruno has some paint scrapes...so I figured I'd buy him in the next town over. Nope, all gone. Go back to my local to pick him up anyways...and maybe just trade him for a better one later on...nope...all gone

Transformers for Trade
                                Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X