Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when the kids grow up and move on from Cars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do when the kids grow up and move on from Cars?

I'm sure that this has happened to many of you... maybe with a child and not a grandchild... and if it hasn't happened to you it probably will... some of you may have a younger child (grandchild) to take over the Cars collecting.

Here's my story...

My grandson is growing up... I know that they all do, but still... 6 years ago Austin got me hooked on Cars... we'd go shopping... and I'd buy Cars for me as well as for him... 3 years ago he outgrew them... then a year later he got back into them for a short period of time... but he's outgrown them again... They are getting ready to move within the next week... he doesn't want to take his Cars with him... but he wants me to have them so I can help them find new homes.

I will probably pick them up in the next couple of days... I'll figure out what he's got and decide what we'll do with them.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

My kids are only 4 & 2, so I've got a while. However, my plan is to pack them up and save them for grandkids. My parents did that for me with my Matchbox and Hot Wheels...even though we're still trying to locate the box, which got misplaced when they moved ~10 years ago.

Comment

I've already had this discussion with my wife, when he outgrows the cars thing they are all getting wrapped and boxed and will sit patiently in storage for years in hopes one day we have a grandkid who will enjoy them as much as josh does. Josh can then play with them again with his kids. I already know for sure that with all the time and effort and unreal amounts of gas spent hunting for these cars they aren't leaving this house until I have a grandkid, my mom said she'd sell them at a yard sale if I want when he gets bigger........ No thanks mom!

Comment

Awe Chris I'm not a terribly sentimental man. But I feel ya there! My oldest hasn't been into Cars for several years. And our youngest plays with them, but isn't "in to it" in the same way. His interest in the Bachelor Pad Mack we got at a yard/boot sale was short lived.

All that being said I just keep doing what I have been. Collecting what I want when I can!

Comment

I guess we are happy as our son grows older, he's still interested. The collection is referred to by him as his "museum". Maybe not to play with anymore all the time, but adding a car or nowadays a plane to the collection is still big fun...and he checks the shops just like me

Anatomical illustrations by Jake Parker

Comment

My kids each had their own opened sets for a couple of years, sold one to fund Webkinz, got back into Cars for about a month or two, and then sold the second opened set to fun the next big thing. Now my nephew is starting to play with Cars, so we'll have to see what happens!

Comment

My kids aren't really into Cars right now. I plan on keeping the display cases up for the next few years, but the tracks are going to be put away soon. Right now they are looking forward to Planes. Our Take Flights are the only thing that get played with right now. When their interest is completely gone, I'll get some more Carney Cases and put the rest on display until they give me some grandkids.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
              http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

He is moving away from Cars. He talks about ben10, ninja turtle, captain america and today he even watched one piece.
                He is not as crazy as it used to be! That means i can save some $$$..
                I had reduced my $$ spent on his collection. I am still collecting for him and one day these will be handed down to him...
                Sometimes i still ask him whether he like Cars and his answer is yes...
                Recently, i have been telling him that we are expecting a box of cars to arrive and today i am happy that he actually asked me
                where is the box of Cars.

Comment

My boys are 4 and the last 6 months have faded away from cars and now are on to Hot Wheels Monster Jam trucks. Overall I think they had too many cars and it lost its fun for them - classic case of dad overbuying due to dad having too much fun collecting himself. All of theirs are opened - at some point I will take the cars they have and donate them to the autism center where my one son goes for therapy. But dad will keep his collection carded and sealed for as long as I'm alive.

Comment

My son is 11 and still collects. Should he stop collecting, I will continue and like others here, I will save them for his kids.
                    Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

I also plan to keep them for grandkids, and I suppose when the grand kids move on, I will pass along to my kids to keep for their grandkids....or maybe sell it all!

Comment

So 3 of my grandchildren just came by... with their parents, of course... at 9:30 pm... they all said Hi and asked if they could have Cars to play with while they are here visiting for a little bit... so I'm off to play Cars with them!

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I assure you if I ask the boys to go get the cars and let's play! It will be a fun filled time! I will NEVER get rid of all our loose cars. Waaaaaay too many good memories!

I am a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Well, I knew it would happen one day and I knew it would kind of suck. My son now wants to take down all the Cars stuff in his room because he says "that stuff is for babies". He got Ninja Turtles and Superhero posters to replace all the Cars ones. At least I should be able to move all the Piston Cup sponser logos out to the garage. We haven't opened a new Car since Lizzie a few months ago and now it looks like I probably won't open any more until I get a new Carney Display case. Cool thing is I have enough loose and unopened to fill a 3rd one now. By the time Cars 3 is released, we probably won't be collecting anymore though.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                            http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyjack View Post
                              Well, I knew it would happen one day and I knew it would kind of suck. My son now wants to take down all the Cars stuff in his room because he says "that stuff is for babies". He got Ninja Turtles and Superhero posters to replace all the Cars ones. At least I should be able to move all the Piston Cup sponser logos out to the garage. We haven't opened a new Car since Lizzie a few months ago and now it looks like I probably won't open any more until I get a new Carney Display case. Cool thing is I have enough loose and unopened to fill a 3rd one now. By the time Cars 3 is released, we probably won't be collecting anymore though.
                              Sorry to hear that your son wants to take his Cars stuff down... I'm old enough to be his grandpa and I like Cars... so I don't think all that stuff is for babies.

Maybe he'll want to do things with Cars again one day, bobbyhack... my grandson did come back to Cars for awhile...

Comment

Working...
                              X