D23: Photos and more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D23: Photos and more

Today is the day... August 9, 2013... The D23 Convention in Anaheim, California... Many people are there... TopherDawg is there and has been kind enough to share photos with us on the PCD Facebook page - he's given me permission to be post the photos here on the website.

Several hours before the event... many people already in line - maybe 1000:

(Photo used by permission of TopherDawg... Thank you, Brian)

What do you do while you wait? Some people sidewalk chalk:

I'll add more photos as they are made available... in addition to TopherDawg, Mariela, carsincali and others are there...

The main goal for them and many other Cars fans:

The Convoy Brothers - I'm eagerly looking forward to adding this to my collection.

Getting closer:

5 minutes until we're there:

Thank you for your photos and for going to the event, TopherDawg...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

For those of you there if you have time please share with us your experiences as well - I'm curious to know what people do at D23. Is it mainly convention booths where you walk around and look at new products and get autographs?

Also, I'm wondering if someone can just walk up to the Convoy Brothers set and say "I'll take 1000 sets" or if there is a limit. I picture this mad scramble when the doors are opened and people shoving and pushing like we see for Black Friday holiday shopping. Curious to know what you all encounter. Looking forward to reading this thread - thx!!

Comment

Apparently the Disney booth where you buy the Convoy Bros at decided to not set a limit on them like they should have (and were originally going to; it was supposed to be no more than 6 per person) and you could buy as many as you wanted. I'm excited to see how many go on eBay this weekend and how expensive they get as well.

I'm still in need of one mint in box set. Hopefully it's OK if I ask here, but if anyone is able to help me out with one I'd forever be in your debt.

Comment

I will be uploading more photos from D23 this weekend... it looks like it was a great but crazy time... Thanks to all who sent photos - I wish I could have been there... but eastern Indiana is a long way from Anaheim.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

More photos - thank you, Pablo Miraglia

Here are some more photos from D23 taken today (August 9, 2013)... Many thanks, Pablo Miraglia, for sharing these with us:

Zed:

(Photo used by permission of Pablo Miragia... thank you, Pablo!)

Super Chase Yukio:

Super Chase Takeshi:

Super Chase Hiroaki:

Nature Drive Lightning McQueen - why do I think he looks like he's covered in Rice Krispies treats?

Ichigo:

We've seen many of these Cars on the 2013 poster... we've seen photos of some of them as well... It's great to see them all together in 1 thread.

Thank you, Pablo!

Comment

Originally posted by Fillmore1234 View Post
            Apparently the Disney booth where you buy the Convoy Bros at decided to not set a limit on them like they should have (and were originally going to; it was supposed to be no more than 6 per person) and you could buy as many as you wanted. I'm excited to see how many go on eBay this weekend and how expensive they get as well.
            well, there are already about 50-60 either sold or for sell on there, going for about $175-200

did they actually sell out?

and if people went along only expecting to be allowed to buy six as advertised before does that mean there are lot without potential buyers given the few pictures i've seen of much bigger hauls?

Comment

Seeing super Chase Yukio there makes me feel like someone with precious items having 2 at the moment haha but OH man! I want the convoy bros so bad... ahh but I know they won't go low on ebay but cool pics!
              "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

I got in line at Mattel around 9:30 am yesterday. I went to the Disney LE store first to find something for a member. That is a whole horrifying experience in itself

Most of the "power buyers" as they like to call themselves were in line before me. I saw someone purchase 100 Convoy Sets, it was crazy. My understanding is they shut it down yesterday around 2:30pm. Then Saturday morning around 10:30 am it was shut down. I'm assuming they were keeping some for Sundays group.

While I was in line, it went from, no limit and they let people stack them up and move them as they could. Then it became as many as you could carry. When I got up to the register it was 6 and I had to reenter the line to purchase more for other people. I 'only' bought 12. All sold and for other people, I kept two.

It wasn't quite what I thought it would be as it was my first time. They had said no lines til 5am. Well people lined up on the street at 7:30pm the night before. I got there about 4:45 and eventually met up with Lane Change and CarsinCali before D23 opened. The bottom floor was all shopping and the Arena (movie area) and then the upstairs had conference rooms for silence auction and memorabilia. One shopping area was for companies who bought space and resold product, like legos, cars, pins, etc. The other side was big companies like Mattel & Ridemakerz showcasing their upcoming products.

There was some booths with special guests too. One was a Planes booth where the screenwriter came out and talked about the making of the movie. Another we did was a Planes artist who 'taught' us how to draw Dusty, El Chup & Skipper. It was pretty cool, afterwards I asked to keep a sketch and he said yes and started to sign it, then Disney staff came and told him no. Rather disappointing.

Most of the disappointing stuff happened to involve Disney staff, not sure if they were paid or volunteers. I had one woman grab my arm and try to yank me out of a line to get into the LE Disney store because I wasn't a "Sorcerer" and she was only letting Sorcerers in for the open. At first I tried to tell her that I was D23 'paid' member and we had access at 9 am. Then I got angry and had to tell her 3 times to let go, and that she was assaulting me and I was going to react in kind. She was a big woman too After I got the Convoys, I saw her again and nicely explained that she should never grab and yank on someone no matter what the reason.
                There was a lot of people complaining, line cutting, etc. It was a mess.

When they first let us in the convention area, they routed us into the other Disney store, mostly with D23 pins, vinylmation and clothes. When we said we didn't want to go into that store, they told us "oh well, you can either go through there, or wait back outside until 10 am with general admission" a lot of people got out of the line and went towards the rest room and then bounced towards where they wanted to go.

Highlight was seeing John Lasseter in the morning over by Starbucks in the Hilton. 99% sure it was him taking a picture with someone by the Monsters Inc display and then a Starbucks person came up and handed him some drinks and off he went in a Hawaiian style shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by TopherDawg View Post
                  I got in line at Mattel around 9:30 am yesterday. I went to the Disney LE store first to find something for a member. That is a whole horrifying experience in itself

Most of the "power buyers" as they like to call themselves were in line before me. I saw someone purchase 100 Convoy Sets, it was crazy. My understanding is they shut it down yesterday around 2:30pm. Then Saturday morning around 10:30 am it was shut down. I'm assuming they were keeping some for Sundays group.

While I was in line, it went from, no limit and they let people stack them up and move them as they could. Then it became as many as you could carry. When I got up to the register it was 6 and I had to reenter the line to purchase more for other people. I 'only' bought 12. All sold and for other people, I kept two.

It wasn't quite what I thought it would be as it was my first time. They had said no lines til 5am. Well people lined up on the street at 7:30pm the night before. I got there about 4:45 and eventually met up with Lane Change and CarsinCali before D23 opened. The bottom floor was all shopping and the Arena (movie area) and then the upstairs had conference rooms for silence auction and memorabilia. One shopping area was for companies who bought space and resold product, like legos, cars, pins, etc. The other side was big companies like Mattel & Ridemakerz showcasing their upcoming products.

There was some booths with special guests too. One was a Planes booth where the screenwriter came out and talked about the making of the movie. Another we did was a Planes artist who 'taught' us how to draw Dusty, El Chup & Skipper. It was pretty cool, afterwards I asked to keep a sketch and he said yes and started to sign it, then Disney staff came and told him no. Rather disappointing.

Most of the disappointing stuff happened to involve Disney staff, not sure if they were paid or volunteers. I had one woman grab my arm and try to yank me out of a line to get into the LE Disney store because I wasn't a "Sorcerer" and she was only letting Sorcerers in for the open. At first I tried to tell her that I was D23 'paid' member and we had access at 9 am. Then I got angry and had to tell her 3 times to let go, and that she was assaulting me and I was going to react in kind. She was a big woman too After I got the Convoys, I saw her again and nicely explained that she should never grab and yank on someone no matter what the reason.
                  There was a lot of people complaining, line cutting, etc. It was a mess.

When they first let us in the convention area, they routed us into the other Disney store, mostly with D23 pins, vinylmation and clothes. When we said we didn't want to go into that store, they told us "oh well, you can either go through there, or wait back outside until 10 am with general admission" a lot of people got out of the line and went towards the rest room and then bounced towards where they wanted to go.

Highlight was seeing John Lasseter in the morning over by Starbucks in the Hilton. 99% sure it was him taking a picture with someone by the Monsters Inc display and then a Starbucks person came up and handed him some drinks and off he went in a Hawaiian style shirt.
                  sounds like a typical Disney experience "SNAFU"
                  glad you got what you needed but that Disney staff would have ended up on her butt the way she assaulted you
                  makes me glad I paid someone else to get the stuff for me and not have to deal with that crowded mess

Comment

Originally posted by carslover View Post
                    sounds like a typical Disney experience "SNAFU"
                    glad you got what you needed but that Disney staff would have ended up on her butt the way she assaulted you
                    makes me glad I paid someone else to get the stuff for me and not have to deal with that crowded mess
                    True, and I'm a big guy and a former Marine, so not really sensitive. The way she was dismissing me and literally trying to yank me out of line really ticked me off, I was mad for at least an hour, haha. If I wasn't there trying to get items for other people I probably would of caused a huge problem. I took a picture of her and got her nametag and might mail off a letter.

But I should note a lot of really great nice people working or volunteering there that outweighed the few bad apples.

Comment

Wow, great story TopherDawg, even though some of the people there weren't in a very good mood to put it nicely. Glad you were able to get the sets you needed, and congrats on sort of meeting John Lasseter! I would definitely freak out (on the inside, of course ) if I was able to meet him.

Comment

Many thanks for sharing your D23 adventure with us, TopherDawg... I know it was a huge undertaking, waiting in line for a long time... I don't think that any of us who weren't there can really understand what went on at the event and what those of you who did go went through.

I think it is cool that you got to see John Lasseter... how you were treated by an event worker is definitely not cool though.

And thank you once again for your photos and helping people out...

Comment

lol if that had been me I would of definitely caused a scene especially I was ever laid a hand on like that. No one's gonna grab me without the possible consequence. :P

Comment

You were definitely right about them being on ebay... at prices that to me our outrageous. $1000? really thats nuts! It's just me and my mom.. so no way we could afford them :/ I have a feeling it might be ... a while if I get them or ever. Unless a miracle or good karma comes in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by CarsDiecast08 View Post
                              You were definitely right about them being on ebay... at prices that to me our outrageous. $1000? really thats nuts! It's just me and my mom.. so no way we could afford them :/ I have a feeling it might be ... a while if I get them or ever. Unless a miracle or good karma comes in hand.
                              I see the one for 1000, that is a 6 pack of them not a single pack of 4. I just picked one up for $180 including shipping, sure a bit more than what it was purchased for but still a fair price I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X