It's Over - Kmart Pulls the Plug on Future Car Days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Over - Kmart Pulls the Plug on Future Car Days

Just announced today (private, not public) - the Kmart collector days are now over and done - there will be no more going forward. Surprised not to see this posted yet on any of the boards. I have mixed feelings - with all the Kmarts pretty much closed around me it was too far to drive to these things. And second, these were sparsely attended and just didn't make sense for Kmart to continue marketing to something only one or two people would show up at.

That's to bad. I always looked forward to the collector days. Now we'll have to find something else to do.

Comment

Not that I don't believe you, but where did you hear this at? I was just thinking about whether there will be another event or not earlier today. I'm not surprised, but it still is going to be strange when June rolls around and we don't have it to look forward to.

Comment

Not one near me so not really bummed it happened, at least that means on more K-mart collector day hard to find cars.
        "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

The current CEO of Kmart/Sears Holdings has been selling off company assets for several years... not putting money into stores to attract customers... I don't like to go into stores that are dirty and outdated... that don't have merchandise (Cars and other) that I want to purchase... the Kmart event used to be a big deal... and they used to have 6 Hot Wheels events each year.

I've posted a couple of articles on the Kmart event in the Articles sub-forum.

6 of the 12 stores I went to during the time of the Kmart 2 event have closed... 2 more are in the process of closing... for events 4 through 10 I was the only one at the store I start at... and during the last 2 events I've been the first one there at 11 am and 1 pm - 2 and 4 hours after the "event"... Stores have not had posters or flyers announcing the event... if you don't advertise something people don't know about it.

We don't buy much at Kmart outside of Cars... we would buy more if they had more of what we wanted... I am in a bowling league that's less than a mile from Kmart... but there's not much reason to stop and shop.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I also think this goes hand in hand with what I have suspected since Planes came out - and that is a strong decline in Cars sales as kids switched from Cars to Planes. I don't understand how Hot Wheels has such staying power as personally I find all those .97cent cars to be silly and poorly made - and there's thousands of models made for those over the decades - I just don't have any interest in them and can't see what the allure is. But obviously Hot Wheels has staying power and Cars not so much.

Comment

Working...
            X