Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Target dropped the Neon Racers series?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by odisn View Post
    The actual Cars have sold out at nearly every store I've been in. It's all the other associated items that are just sitting there gathering dust.
    same at mine. Even the Cars 1 2 and Planes dvds aren't moving from the display.
    "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

Those who don't learn from their mistakes are destined to repeat them... and due to Mattel telling retailers what "we want", retailers and we are suffering.

Most of us have all the Cars 2 racers that we want or need... if they wanted the neon series to succeed, they'd have put out some hard to find Piston Cup racers first... Tach O Mint... Gask-Its... Cars that have either not been released with plastic tires or Cars that have been limited in distribution... instead, they released Cars that we've already got... many times over... and some of decided not to collect yet another product line that Mattel started and probably wasn't going to finish.

Would I have bought the Neon series Cars if I hadn't just bought a new house? Probably not.

I'd much rather have had another retailer continue the Metallic Finish series WGP racers that TRU started.

And to continue along with what CarsDieast08 just said, we're seeing that retailers are getting stuck with leftovers from cases that have 3 or 4 new (or first time as singles) Cars... it's frustrating.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I would not give up yet!! Target is having MAJOR inventory tracking issue. On our family trip down to Legoland, I stopped at 4 Target that showed more than 100 singles in stock!! I thought for SURE I was going to score big for myself and the folks I try to help on a regular basis ... not so much! LOL Not one of the stores I stopped in had more than 50 peg-warming cars on the floor and NONE in the backroom!! After trying to figure out WHy their on hand count could b so far off, it hit me ... I know what has happened!! Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere else but the NEWEST cars from the last few cases have not been ringing up as the normal DCPI. When I have bought a couple of cars that I knew were not recognized in the system, I always brought one up that WAS so they could use that for the DCPI and price. 95% of the time the employee used it for price only and NOT DCPI. They used 099-09-0999 and rang it up as "merchandise." Well, that "merchandise" does not pull Cars singles out of their inventory, so EVERY STORE now has a HUGE inventory discrepancy. Most of the stores showed more than double of their actual on hand quantity. No sure how often they check those numbers, but these stores down here may not get stock in for a long long time unless they fix it. I am sure it has happened system-wide. 1 of the Neon singles had that same issue. Sure hope they finish the Neons and fix the inventory issue

Comment

^^^Yep. All the Cars I bought from Target that were from the Lee Race case or newer haven't been ringing up. They have had to do a Price check and I bought them for the $3.09 sale price.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
          http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Jeff brings up a great point on inventory levels at Target and it makes a ton of sense!!
            Unfortunately I dont think it helps the fact that the Neons are scanning as discontinued, I really believe they pulled the plug(no pun intended lol) on the Neons! Its sad, I know they werent for everyone, but I was really liking the look of them!

Comment

So strange though. Clearly it had nothing to do with how they sold. Multiple stores quickly sold out what they had with no replenishment. At the very least, in those situations you send from stores where they are not selling to those that are. In this case, so many stores didnt even get any singles in to begin with. No, I figure this was Mattel failing to supply them properly, so Target called it off, OR Mattel decided they couldn't fix the quality control issues so they just didnt make any more. Mattel is lucky they make so many other successful toy lines, because otherwise these chains wouldn't put up with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Scavenger View Post
                Jeff brings up a great point on inventory levels at Target and it makes a ton of sense!!
                Unfortunately I dont think it helps the fact that the Neons are scanning as discontinued, I really believe they pulled the plug(no pun intended lol) on the Neons! Its sad, I know they werent for everyone, but I was really liking the look of them!
                I would of liked them a little more if they actually lit up like DJ, Wingo, and Boost did in Cars 1 when traveling down the road. lol probably way more expensive but still cool

Comment

Mattel cuts off on finishing something when they don't wanna deal with it anymore. Its fustrating, but they still make money so I don't think they really care.

Comment

My local Target's have moved all the remaining neon merchandise off of the end cap, and into the regular Cars aisle. No diecasts left, but a few other odds and ends that they had out there. Not sure how Matel works on case numbering, but looks like this may have been pretty low production run (assuming the carton number is accurate at 780). At 780 cartons with 12 cars per carton, that puts it just under 10K singles.

Comment

Maybe it was a test run for something else?

Or they will come back out later?

Comment

I just can't believe that Target would dedicate that much retail space to a line and then not support it. The diecasts sold out quick and weren't reordered. I'm wondering if we (the collectors) were the ones that bought them all.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                        http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Thanks for the great picture, Greg...

One of our members in Australia has posted that they have a retailer who now has new tags for the Neon racers in the store...

I made the decision not to collect these - I have Max (thanks to Ferris) and that's it.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

The Target by my office still has the end cap set up. Only regular singles are on the pegs, but they have not taken the signs down yet.

Comment

I think these are cool. I wish that they did not discontinue them.

Comment

I wish Mattel and retailers would not discontinue series before they finish... Target has discontinued many series early:

Team Crew sets with Crew Chief and 3 pittys
                                Team sets with hauler, racer, and pitty
                                Final Lap singles - there were supposed to be 8 more Cars released as singles - a few have been released but not all of them.
                                Neon series

Other retailers have discontinued series before they were finished:

Kmart - silver series racers

Toys R US - Metallic Finish Cars2 racers

And other items available to all have been dropped... haulers... Pit Row Race-off launchers...

It is frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                                X