Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new exciting car became quickest dud?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What new exciting car became quickest dud?

So what car were you super excited about it coming out, you couldn't wait to get it, you drove all around looking for it, maybe you even bought more of it than you usually would, and then, you realized the car just wasn't that great? Or, you ended up deciding it wasn't as special as you originally thought.

I have a list, not just one.

I love Jaguars, so the Yellow Jag, I couldn't wait to get my hands on, I even traded for one. I bought a few, and when I look back, I just don't see it anymore. It's an okay car, just not the one to drive all over for.

Krate Rainson I couldn't wait to find this little guy. I bought all kinds of these, it was something different. Then playing with my son with the cars, I realize he doesn't have much if a role. Some cars like Bindo and Carlo don't either, but the car is cool enough it doesn't matter. Krate is a luggage cart. Quirky maybe, but not a favorite.

Any car with rust on it including Fred. I was very excited to get ahold of Fred. I like him in the movie, lots of scenes to recreate, and yet, after getting him, it just seems like a bit of a dud. I like Otis better now.

Only nick stickers comes to mind, probably because he was released overseas first and then for a few months was the only car you could find at TRU

Comment

Erik Laneley - I have cases of the car. The scale is so wrong on him. Also pretty much any new casting have all been cars in the movie for a second or two so most kids have no clue who they are and thus demand is pretty soft. Hence I no longer buy any new castings unless they are chase or super chase.

Comment

Originally posted by Raginpage View Post
        Any car with rust on it including Fred. I was very excited to get ahold of Fred. I like him in the movie, lots of scenes to recreate, and yet, after getting him, it just seems like a bit of a dud. I like Otis better now.

Thanks, buddy. I like you, too.

Comment

Not a dud, per se, but I'm still baffled how Topolino's band turned into peg warmers. I still think those guys were the best release of all last year.

Comment

Not exactly an answer to the question, but I was super excited about the Walmart Tokyo Mater 3-pack and I figured they would be hard to come by...not so much.
            Last edited by Ferris; 05-02-2014, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I am at the point where I just buy 2 of each for the collection with only a few exceptions. Tired of dishing out extra money to just get stuck with Cars. If I know someone else needs then I definitely grab more, or if its a chase/super chase. To the original question though, I thought for sure Krate and Tubbs would be huge

Comment

Great question, raginpage...

Towards the end of Cars, distribution was more hit and miss than it is today, and I know some of you may find that hard to believe... for example, I found the last 2 cases of Final Lap singles at one Target store in Indianapolis (out of 7) and one Target store in Dayton (out of 5)... I probably bought 30 sets - 2 for myself, and I helped a lot of friends who hadn't found it.

So when Cars 2 came out... I actually bought Finn, Jeff, and Holley loose from an eBay seller in Asia a month before they were supposed to be released in the US... and then Family Dollar stores got in either 2011 singles case A or singles case B in 3 weeks before they were to go on sale in the US... I took a vacation day from work, drove to every Family Dollar store I could find and bought the brand new Cars2 singles at $5 each (plus tax)... just in case I couldn't find them at retail when May 16, 2011 rolled around.

May 16, 2011 - every Walmart, Target, and Meijer store had Cars2 merchandise... the same merchandise (other than store exclusives)... I took the day off work... started in Indianapolis at midnight... worked my way back home...called it a night at 4 am... and woke up at 6 am to go to Dayton to check out their Walmart, Target, Meijer, and TRU stores... almost 3 years later, almost 1/3 of those stores still have Cars items from the May 16, 2011 launch on the pegs or shelves.

I also have way too many Cars from Kmart events 6, 7, 8, and 9... Silver series racers... rubber tire racers...I'm not even sure what all I have... As I work on unpacking boxes now that the move is complete I need to identify what all I have... because I'm sure I don't need most of it... or want most of it.

I used to never leave a Chase Car on the pegs... Becky Wheelin and Radiator Springs Ramone were the first... I've never left a Super Chase on the pegs buy I've only seen 1 (Long Ge), 1 time... I was excited to see Chuck Choke Cables and Emmanuel and Waiter Mater on the pegs... they are all pegwarmers now... I'm no longer buying everything on a new cardback just because it's on a new cardback... 2 each of new Cars (1 to open and 1 to keep carded)... I help out a few people but many of you find new Cars before I do... the Christmas Cars released in October 2013 that I found at Meijer were something I found that many of you didn't...

I'm buying fewer Cars than I used to... but with buying a house, new kitchen countertops, appliances, and a water heater that's a good thing.

I used to get excited for a new 7 pack with 1 new Car... but like many of you I'm going to start waiting to see if they come out as a single the following year (Denise Beam, Frank Clutchenson, Mama Bernoulli, etc)... I am learning that there is more to life than Cars... but Cars is still an important part of my life... I've met many friends over the years who share this obsession and addiction with me.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Emmanuel seemed to stale on the pegs pretty quickly. Seems to be quite the peg warmer now.

Tubbs Pacer dried out quickly since he was 3 to a Case and Walmarts got flooded with him after the big end cap display they got of it.

Rip Clutchgoneski was a hot seller and was pretty rare until the next Cases he was released in. He's not a huge pegwarmer but I don't buy him anymore if I see him.

The very first Case of Cars Toons back around 2009 with all the cool Rescue Squad Mater Cars were probably the worst though. Just last year I remember seeing 2 of Nurse Kori at a TRU in Springfield IL. She was still hanging around after all these years.

Comment

For me, Megan Carrar jumps to mind (maybe due to it's currency).
                    From new (casting) Chase Car to WM dump-bin fodder & Aldi Easter tray filler.

Comment

looked forward to finding jay leno and the white masser, found them in tescos in dublin, was really disappointed as jay was really small and insignificant whilst the massers build quality was pathethic, left them both, still havnt bought them

Comment

For me it would be on I don't have yet, Mini, Van's wife. I want her but I know that she doesn't have ugh.. eye brows? I guess you would call it? I've seen her and her whole windshield is white.. so that to me would be sort of funny looking compared to the rest. :P
                        "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

Finn McMissile.

Comment

Working...
                          X