Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Rubber Tires vs. Plastic Tires

Hi everyone,

I'm going through my boxes of cars here and I was thinking if I ever became a completist I would want both rubber and plastic tire cars...
    but thing is, I really can't see any specific difference looking at my Piston Cup racers. I tried to feel if there was a difference but I couldn't. If anyone could shed some light on this or provide comparison pics it would be much appreciated.
    -Steve
    AKA Tmremote

Plastic tires roll better. Rubber tires will depress if you put your thumbnail into them. I ended up collecting both. You can't get apple or Tach O Mint in plastic tires and you can't get apple in rubber tires.

Plastic will require getting launchers or multi-packs and at least one very rare car. Plastic is definitely tougher to collect, but I enjoyed it.

Comment

As for authentic looking I like the rubber. But for my kids I like the plastic tires - only because they are able to pull the rubber tires off and we have so many cars no with no wheels or wheels which don't fit.

Comment

Collect them all!

Plastic tires roll better for playing with... Rubber tires look more like car tires.

Rubber tires work better when staging photos on a track like the Charge N Race Speedway that has banked curves - the rubber tire racers hold better.

Mattel completed neither outside of the Speedway of the South set... The SOTS is the only way to get Tach O Mint and Apple with plastic tires other than customs - their was an unauthorized factory run a few years ago that combined Tach O Mint body (from Kmart rubber tire version) with back window (green bars) and black rims/axles/tires from Vitoline... So far Revolting has only been available in a Target 4 pack.

Mattel/Kmart released all but Apple in the rubber tire series but there are not many of the Kmart 2 rubber tires racers available and they are pricey.

I have written articles on the Kmart Cars collector events as well as several of the Piston Cup racers outlining how they were available - I need to update some for those that have been released in boxed sets or as singles since then.

10 of the World Grand Prix racers have been released with rubber tires - only Rip Clutchgoneski is missing.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Don't forget the rarity of Faux Wheel Drive in plastic tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Raginpage View Post
            Don't forget the rarity of Faux Wheel Drive in plastic tires.

It's not as rare as you think, as there was a European mail-in promotion about 5 to 7 years ago. I traded for a handful of them back then.

Comment

I know about the promotion, but it was a lot easier for me to get Revolting and some of the launchers, for example. It's kind of like the tractors. If you've collected for a long time they aren't hard to get, but if you start now, they are. Those 2-packs that were peg warming are going for big bucks now.

Comment

I originally traded for 21 Faux Wheel Drive promo Cars when it first came out in the UK... I had about $32 in each shipped to me...about 2 years ago a UK eBay seller had 100s of them available to purchase - I bought another handful at about $9 each shipped to me.

If you tried to obtain one in the time between them promo and the leftovers coming out on eBay they were expensive and hard to find.

Supposedly the US was going to get Gask-Its and Tach O Mint as Toys R US mail in promos (after Sidewall Shine and N2O Cola)... it never happened... Gask-Its saw limited release with plastic tires as a Lightyear Launcher... Tach O Mint with plastic tires was never released outside the Speedway of the South set... Toys R US canceled their promo orders - they couldn't see the problem was a lack of desirable Cars inventory in their stores for customers to purchase... and it's still a problem in 2014 due to horrible case assortments and distribution.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Thanks for the great info guys, really appreciate it.

I think I only have a few that aren't plastic tires. I know I don't have the Apple car..
                  -Steve
                  AKA Tmremote

Comment

And if not already mentioned, there's the two plastic tire Dale Jr.(s) Determined\nitroade casting & happy\unique casting. And the rubber tire as well.

Comment

Uh oh, I never appreciated there were 2 Dale Jrs

Comment

Dale Jr from the Kmart rubber tire series, part of Kmart #4, is the aggravated mouth version.

Dale Jr from the Speedway of the South set is the aggravated mouth version.

I believe Dale Jr from the Supercharged, World of Cars, and Race o Rama series is the "Happy" face version.

GotFrank created a custom aggravated version of plastic tire Dale Junior for me by putting the Kmart body on the base (bottom, axles, and tires) for the regular Dale Jr...

Since Dale Jr now drives #88 for another NASCAR team I don't think we'll see Dale Junior be re-released.

Comment

I prefer Rubber Tires over Plastic Tires. I think they look better.

(EDIT: 777 Posts!)
                          Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

Working...
                          X