Anatomy of a store Toys reset: August 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomy of a store Toys reset: August 2014

On occasion you'll hear us talk about stores doing a reset... that means they rearrange various departments and at times change inventory... the reset that most of us are concerned about are Toys... since we collect Cars and other products (Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Planes, etc...)... this week the local Meijer did a reset of the Toys department... I'll share pictures.

This is what I saw Monday morning at 7:30 am... Hot Wheels were closest to the aisle and Cars were in the middle... all gone.

I found them:

I'd been told they were reducing the size of Toys by one aisle.

Here's what it looked like this morning (August 12, 2014):

Went back on my lunch hour - merchandise going into place:

Cars is now closest to the aisle... followed by Planes and Planes Fire and Rescue toys... then come Matchbox followed by Hot Wheels.

They only moved a few feet - the new location backs up to the old location.

I'm most excited to see pegs for the Radiator Springs 500 1/2 singles... hopefully they'll start with case B and not case A... Yeah, right... I've already bought the RS 500 1/2 McQueen with the DVD and the Planes Fire and Rescue Control Tower...it would be nice to see Cars Deluxe and Movie Moments that were not released on May 16, 2011...Sigh...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Kmart began their reset a week or so ago but I never went back to see what the finished product looks like. They hadn't gotten to the Cars aisle yet but they started on the aisle across from it.

Walmart hasn't had any signs of resetting yet. I'm worried about how much peg space Cars will keep since Planes and Planes Fire and Rescue seem to be doing incredibly well while Cars are stagnating due to lackluster Case contents.. And I still haven't seen any form of Radiator Springs 500 1/2 Cars yet since there's no room for them on the shelves..

Comment

The planes movies are the most recent so it makes sense that they are selling well. Once Cars 3 comes there will be a frenzy... I hope.

Big picture... I think we should be happy that Cars are still selling well enough for Mattel to keep making new molds.

Chris, your grocery store has a better selection than all of the walmarts and targets in my area. So jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by RRichie09 View Post
        The planes movies are the most recent so it makes sense that they are selling well. Once Cars 3 comes there will be a frenzy... I hope.

Big picture... I think we should be happy that Cars are still selling well enough for Mattel to keep making new molds.

Chris, your grocery store has a better selection than all of the walmarts and targets in my area. So jealous.
        Hopefully your Kmart has a decent selection after the reset, Fillmore1234... no sign of a reset at our local Walmart or Kmart based on last times I checked.

And RRichie09 - better selection is relative... the only Movie Moments and Deluxe are from the May 16, 2011 Cars2 release... the singles are basically remnants from the Geartrude/Cartney case... way too many Riplash Racers and Hydro Cars and now Planes Fire and Rescue that haven't sold... Dusty and El Chupacabra Planes Gift packs... the same Planes and Cars Micro Drifters that have been on pegs for months and months... very few Planes Fire and Rescue diecasts... the Fire and Rescue Deluxe and Cabbie are on a partial endcap (1/2 Fire and Rescue and 1/2 Guardians of the Galaxy).

Meijer is more along the lines of a Target than a grocery store... our store is 1/3 grocery and 2/3 general merchandise but is considered a small Meijer... as they are right in front of where I work and 3 miles from the house I stop frequently... and as the nearest Target and Toys R US stores are over 50 miles away we have very few places in town to shop for Cars or toys (in the county we have 1 Kmart, 1 Walmart, and 1 Meijer).

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I guess the grass is always greener. I do have several walmarts and targets within 30 minutes drive since I live in the suburbs of LA, but then I have a lot of collectors and ebay scalpers to deal with as well. As far as kmart, I doubt they are doing anything. That place is dying, and new merchandise is not coming when they have so much old stuff. My local one has 30+ francesco's but no LMQ. Its so weird. They even have the silvers ones.

Thanks for putting things perspective.

BTW, as a person who started buying Cars just a couple of months ago, some of those 2011 toys would be a welcomed sight haha.

Comment

nice photos from start to finish

not having Meijer's here I didn't realize they had such a large toy section, even with it being reduced now

Comment

My Meijer redid the whole store and moved the cars all the way to the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by RRichie09 View Post
                BTW, as a person who started buying Cars just a couple of months ago, some of those 2011 toys would be a welcomed sight haha.
                You.

Absolutely.

Don't.

Want That.

At All.

And those pictures were from 2012.

Comment

That reminds me of the painful Nightmare on Cars Street, Fillmore1234... those were indeed dark times for Cars collectors.

There are still some Meijer stores in the Dayton (Ohio) area with nothing but the following from 2011:
                  Finn McMissile singles
                  Submarine Finn McMissile Deluxe
                  Finn/Tomber Movie Moments

Comment

Mattel made WAY too many of the Cars 2 die-casts. The stores are now stuck with them because they don't sell.

Great photos, Cac1959!
                    Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

Working...
                    X