This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars: Abbreviations

MrBrownstone and I have received multiple requests from members wanting a list of abbreviations - there are certain abbreviations that new collectors may not know. I may add photos of some Cars to illustrate the various series.

Cars terms
    DB - Desert Back - the original first series of Cars
    DB12 - Desert Back 12 - 12 Cars pictured on back of card
    DB16 - Desert Back 16 - 16 Cars pictured on back of card
    MM - Movie Moments - set of Cars with 2 per pack. An exception was the Guido/Luigi/Tractor set, which came with 3 per pack
    SC - Supercharged - the second series of Cars
    WOC - World of Cars - the 3rd series of Cars
    ROR - Race O Rama - the 4th series of Cars
    FL - Final Lap - a Target exclusive with fixed (classic) eyes. 2 cases of Final Lap Cars were sold in the UK at the Disney Store.
    RT - rubber tires
    PT - plastic tires
    LMQ - Lightening McQueen
    SOTS - Speedway of the South

NCF - Not carry forward - a term used by Target in the US when an item has been dropped from inventory and will no longer be sold... somewhere I've got a photo of a scanner showing when I first noticed the Team Crew Sets were NCF...

Townies - the Radiator Springs Cars: Sheriff, Doc, Sally, Lizzie, Sarge, Fillmore, Red, Guido, Luigi, Flo, Ramone, etc...
    Tunerz - DJ, Boost, Snot Rod, and Wingo

Retailers
    TRU - Toys R Us - an international retailer with stores in the US, Canada, Europe (UK, Germany, France), and Asia (Singapore)

KM - Kmart - US based retailer best known for the Kmart Cars Collector event and shipping wrong merchandise if you order from their website.

WM - Walmart - US and Canada retailer... I believe they are also known as Asda in the UK.

Target - not an abbreviation, but a US retailer which has had numerous Cars exclusives. There is also a chain in Australia named Target which is not the same as the US chain. The US Target is expanding into Canda - they purchased several Zeller's stores.

DS - Disney Store

Trading / Sales Specific:
    MOC - Mint on Card
    BNIB - Brand New in Box
    HTF - Hard to Find
    NS - comes from a non-smoking home

We'll add more abbreviations to this list as needed.
    Last edited by cac1959; 06-25-2012, 03:06 PM. Reason: added abbreviation

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

GMG - GOMATERGO

I am a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

DBF
      Desert Back Fever

Comment

When going looking for cars until just recently, I keep finding the S.O.S

signature courtesy of BomBom77
        http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Added SOS to the above list... I like GMG and DBF but am not sure how widely used those are...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Speedway of the South is not the S.O.S. I was talking about. I was talking about what we had been seeing on the pegs in every store for the last few months. Finn McMissile singles and Tomber and Zen Master Pitty 2 packs; in other words, "same ol' ...."

signature courtesy of BomBom77
            http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

S.O.L.
              lol

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyjack View Post
                Speedway of the South is not the S.O.S. I was talking about. I was talking about what we had been seeing on the pegs in every store for the last few months. Finn McMissile singles and Tomber and Zen Master Pitty 2 packs; in other words, "same ol' ...."

Oops... same old "stuff"...

I dropped SOS... and added NCF - a term used by Target in the US when an item has been dropped from inventory and is Not Carry Forward...

Comment

Iabgcf: I'm a big cars fan.

http://carstoys.wikia.com <--My wiki

http://flickr.com/carstoys/ <--My Flickr

Comment

Although not really relevent, its just an add on to the Zellers part.

Indeed, they were purchased purchased by Target (the Zellers in my town should be closing march 2013 and Target opening in the location during the year). However, Zellers has been carrying target exclusives for years. I've purchased quite a few Transformers Target exclusives there and recently come into contact, although not purchased, with the Target exclusive cars pack that came with Denise Beam.

Again...not really relevent as they are closing down, but just a little bit of extra info

Transformers for Trade
                    Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

While I'm glad to hear that you had been able to buy Target exclusives at Zellers, I hate to hear that Zellers is closing... I'd heard that some of the Zellers stores will be reopening as Target but others would close.

Thank you for the update about Zellers.

Comment

The one in my town is going changing to a Target. Should start seeing massive clearances shortly...hopefully some stuff I can take advantage of lol. From what I have heard, all the Zellers employees working there will be transitioned over to the Target store if they wish to stick around so that's also good news.

The one in the next town over (10 minute drive) should also be changing over to a target.

Transformers for Trade

Comment

well bad news for me...I just checked the Target Canada website (target.ca) to see store locations and sadly neither of the 2 nearest Zellers in my area are being turned to Targets

I feel bad for all the employees from the two Zellers that will be closing down in march 2013. They are just getting let go

I am quite surprised that there isn't one opening in the region as this region has Canada's larget airforce base and would have been quite a nice customer base.

Nearest ones will be either 45minutes/1hour to the east ways (Kingston, Ontario) or west ways (Oshawa or further Toronto).

Transformers for Trade

Comment

How about canon? I understand what it means, but what do the initials stand for, or where did it originate from?

Comment

Good question, TopherDawg...

From Wikipedia, canon refers to "the overall set of storylines, premises, settings, and characters offered by the source media text".[1] In this sense, canon is "the original work from which the fan fiction author borrows,"[2] or "the original media on which the fan fictions are based."

The term first was used to in reference to The Bible.

Applying that to the Cars movies, Cars that are canon appear as diecasts as they appear in the movies... so by theory, some of the released diecasts are technically not canon... The Deluxe Holley Shiftwell is one of them.

As far as I know, it is not an abbreviation for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X