Why the big upsale?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the big upsale?

Over the last few years, I've bought many of my cars through eBay or Amazon. In the last few weeks the prices seem to have skyrocketed. It may be my interest point here. I'm after the pitty's and race crews as I have all but one or two racers. I buy the ones I can in store. However I'm overseas and its not always an option.

Is it me, or has the cars just gone up in price they're selling for? In terms of both cost and shipping?

Great question, brownsfar1092.

The retail price of Cars singles has increased back to $3.99 at most US stores - Meijer was the last "holdout" - up until about 2 weeks ago I bought singles there for $3.49 each... 2 packs are now $7.46 at Walmart and $7.99 at Target and $8.99 at Toys R US and $9.99 at Kmart... While Deluxe are still $5.97 at Walmart they are $9.99 at ToysRUS and not even carried at other US stores.

Amazon seems to have raised the prices of several singles, Deluxe, and 2 packs to way above retail - I don't know if they are comparing prices with 3rd party sellers on Amazon or not, but the cheapest I saw the Andy Vaporlock single through Amazon directly was $6.99... and now the same single is $9.33... I even went to the feedback area of the listing and left 3 or 4 places where I'd bought it for $3.99 like the rest of the case C singles.

USPS postage costs have also increased within the last 2 months - that includes domestic as well as international shipping... A priority mail small flat rate box is now $6.80 - it wasn't that long ago it was $5.35... and they've increased across the board.

And while you buy what you can in stores, brownsfan1092 and others, it's not always possible... certain items are store exclusives that may not show up in every store in every part of the country... and you may be looking to buy something that was last sold years ago (example, Target team crew sets).

I am currently after the Silver Hudson Hornet Piston Cup McQueen that was available in Europe a few years ago - somehow I missed it when it was released... it's not going to be cheap to add to my collection.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

The Cars prices are a matter of several variables IMO. There's the new release spike. New models are usually high initially. Then there's Cars that are always in demand. Cars (1) racers and R.S. Townies. If it's been a long time between releases. That can increase the secondary market value. Recently Mattel releases have been more diverse than in the past few years. And I think that is bringing in some new collectors. That were previously put off by constant peg warmers at retail. And not wanting to pay secondary market prices for everything. But in short it's supply & demand economics basically.

Shipping, the United States Postal Service. Has bumped up international shipping a couple times over the past few years. First Class is the closest thing to tolerable. Anything over 4 lbs. or a combined X, Y & Z measurements of 30 inches or more. Must ship Priority Mail. Which is just brutal. The "USPS has accumulated $47 billion in operating losses since the 1971"
      http://lawstreetmedia.com/issues/bus...is-whats-plan/
      And it'll only get worse IMO. That being said the other international private shipping companies aren't any better in my experience. So I can't really provide any good news there. But I think there should be a special rate at the USPS for anyone on active duty in the military. They deserve that much. And in a way it really is the government taking money from the government. Which is just dumb IMO. After all they don't tax Social Security income.

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
        The Cars prices are a matter of several variables IMO. There's the new release spike. New models are usually high initially. Then there's Cars that are always in demand. Cars (1) racers and R.S. Townies. If it's been a long time between releases. That can increase the secondary market value. Recently Mattel releases have been more diverse than in the past few years. And I think that is bringing in some new collectors. That were previously put off by constant peg warmers at retail. And not wanting to pay secondary market prices for everything. But in short it's supply & demand economics basically.

Shipping, the United States Postal Service. Has bumped up international shipping a couple times over the past few years. First Class is the closest thing to tolerable. Anything over 4 lbs. or a combined X, Y & Z measurements of 30 inches or more. Must ship Priority Mail. Which is just brutal. The "USPS has accumulated $47 billion in operating losses since the 1971"
        http://lawstreetmedia.com/issues/bus...is-whats-plan/
        And it'll only get worse IMO. That being said the other international private shipping companies aren't any better in my experience. So I can't really provide any good news there. But I think there should be a special rate at the USPS for anyone on active duty in the military. They deserve that much. And in a way it really is the government taking money from the government. Which is just dumb IMO. After all they don't tax Social Security income.
        The thing thats probably killing shipping for me too right now is being in South Korea. Most of these things have to go to the USA before coming back here. Even if someone ships something from say China, it goes to the USA, rather than just coming straight here because I am on a US federal military installation. So instead of the item traveling say 300 miles, it goes like 7500 to the usa, and that same distance back. Traveling over 14000 miles to go 300 miles away. smh.

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Working...
        X