Name a Car you Paid a Lot for and then saw it Much Cheaper Elsewhere

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name a Car you Paid a Lot for and then saw it Much Cheaper Elsewhere

I bought a double-decker bus for my kids to play with - paid $16 plus $6 in shipping for $22. Then the following week was in a Kmart with my kids and saw one on the shelf for $7.99. Doh! I didn't think this would still be in stores as the usual pegwarmers are not this item. So I basically paid 3x the amount needed. Ugh! Had a similar experience? Share it.

I can't tell you how many times I bought something on eBay or got something from one of my friends in another state or country and then in a matter of weeks or months it turned up within 100 miles of home.

Octane Gain hauler/racer/pitty set, Octane Gain and Nitroade Team Crew sets (with crew chief and pittys), many of the Final Lap Cars, Stu Bop (just came out in the US as a TakeFlight item), several haulers... my most recent experience was with the Victor H and Vladimir Trunkov singles... I got them from a friend in Singapore... I bought a set from from someone in Florida... and within a week I found them in an Indianapolis Toys R US store... I just got the newest TRU Metallic Paint Cars (Francesco and Miguel) from a friend in Germany, so hopefully we'll see them in the US soon.

The reason I do it though has to do with the number of times things never showed up in the US or locally... This includes Chuck Choke Cables, Brian Parks Motors, El Materdor, the Faux Wheel Drive UK promo Car, the French Gask-Its promo Car... The Deluxe case featuring Funny Car Mater, The Queen, and Kimura - they arrived overseas in January 2012 and still aren't in the US yet.

I also have started buying cases again as other than Kmart 8 Cars, there's been nothing new in the county for over 7 months... My time and gas to make a 175 to 250 mile round trip where I may or may not find anything new is valuable.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

$25 for a loose WalMart 8 Barney Stormin (plastic wings).
      Then a week later the release the Oversized Barney with metal wings.

Comment

Dustin Mellows, $11 x2 plus shipping. Then find him days later for regular price at every WM in the state

Comment

Backdoor Metallic Fixed Eyes King. $11 a piece for three. Months later they are $6 a piece on ebay. Had trouble selling the other ones

Also Rubber Tires View Zeen. $9 on ebay, over a year later $2 on clearance at KM. Glad I went for that one though, a long time to wait.

Comment

Needed Boost to complete the four tuners for my son's collection. Saw him on eBay for 10 dollars plus shipping. Made my first eBay purchase then saw him next month released as a lenty single. I have been restrained from purchasing any other cars online and try to find them in the stores now.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
            http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

When I was new to collecting I made a trade with someone over in the US for a bunch of Lenticular cars that I wanted as they weren't out in the UK (this was prior to me knowing how the case assortment and releases worked)

I didn't really lose out financially as I traded like for like numbers of cars so it didn't cost me any more other than shipping but I traded a few Bessie's and Sally with Cones plus some Komodo's (when he was hard to find) as part of this 10 car trade. About a week after I received my package these cases were released int he UK...!!!

I only paid about an extra pound per car (to account for shipping costs) but learned a valuable lesson in trading...

Since then I've had many great trades with others in the US, but I'm now much wiser about what I trade for and certainly what I trade with....

Comment

Originally posted by MrBrownstone View Post
                When I was new to collecting I made a trade with someone over in the US for a bunch of Lenticular cars that I wanted as they weren't out in the UK (this was prior to me knowing how the case assortment and releases worked)

I didn't really lose out financially as I traded like for like numbers of cars so it didn't cost me any more other than shipping but I traded a few Bessie's and Sally with Cones plus some Komodo's (when he was hard to find) as part of this 10 car trade. About a week after I received my package these cases were released int he UK...!!!

I only paid about an extra pound per car (to account for shipping costs) but learned a valuable lesson in trading...

Since then I've had many great trades with others in the US, but I'm now much wiser about what I trade for and certainly what I trade with....
                What were Bessie's selling for at that time on eBay? I'm sure you would have held onto them now knowing they sell for $150 a piece now.

Comment

Originally posted by PopeMobile View Post
                  What were Bessie's selling for at that time on eBay? I'm sure you would have held onto them now knowing they sell for $150 a piece now.
                  I didn't check... Doh!!! Like I said - I was new to this line and haven't collected anything since I was a child.

I'd have probably traded them to collectors I know who needed them or sold them on eBay myself (as that's where they ended up I'm led to believe).

We live and learn!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X