Spotlight on......cac1959

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlight on......cac1959

Next on the list is non other than our very own Cars-a-holic - cac1959...

2. Where are you from / where do you live now?
    Ohio. Fountain City, Indiana

3. When did you start collecting Cars?
    Spring 2007

4. Why did you start collecting Cars?
    Grocery shopping with my grandson, who was 4 at the time... we walked into the toy department at Meijer and Austin saw them and said - "Look Papaw - Mater, Lightning McQueen! You need to buy them... and buy them for me too!" I never have been able to tell him no.

5. How many cars (roughly) do have currently have?
    I don't know for sure but I'd say over 1000 as I too have duplicates... Some are opened and in display cases (racers, Kmart racers, Final Laps, most chase, haulers, non semi Deluxe/Megas, launchers)... some are opened for playing with... some are carded and not to be opened... I created my own Speedway of the South set in the Target racer 4 packs and merged team crew sets with the Hauler/Racer/Pitty set for 4 of the boxed sets. My wife would say too many and she might be right.

6. Which diecast car is your favourite (only one allowed)?
    My custom Cars Cares 2009 racer... I fully support Nathan's Playroom (formerly Cars Cares), which helps send care packages to children in need and their siblings... Cars Cares had a contest - I was nominated by a friend in Alaska whose grandson (who was 5 at the time) is a leukemia survivor and one of the people I help out with Cars.

7. Which car (from the movie) is your favourite, and why?
    Race Damaged Mood Springs - I love the color, the attention to detail, and the line in the movie ("I can still race")...

8. What has been your best ever find?
    I found 4 cases of the World of Cars case W at a small town Walmart store and bought all the Sally, Spinout McQueen, and Lizzie... I went back a week later and found 4 more... I kept 2 of each and sent the rest on to friends.

9. What car(s) do you currently own?
    A 2005 Honda Civic which I drive, and a 2000 Honda Accord, which my wife drives.

10. What is your dream car?
    My next car will hopefully be a new Honda CRV - I need something a little higher off the ground... however, with gas prices double what they were 2 years ago, I'm glad to still be driving the Civic... for a dream car, I'd like a 1965 Ford Mustang convertible or a Model T Ford from the 1920s (Hello, Lizzie!)

11. What do you do for a day job?
    I work in Information Technology for a university - I fix computers and supervise others in the department.

12. Other than Cars Collecting, do you have any hobbies?
    There's no time for other hobbies, LOL! I bowl - that's been a challenge the last few months as I'm learning to bowl left-handed after my November 2010 elbow surgery... I've had to retire from slow pitch softball after 38 years as a pitcher... I like to play my guitar and keyboard and write songs... I like riding my bicycle... walking my dog... and spending time with my grandchildren.

13. What is your greatest ever achievement?
    Marrying my wife Terri in 1993... writing a textbook which was published in 1990... I still own the school track record as part of the 440 yard relay (now 400 meters) which was set in 1974 - I had 3 great teammates - the junior high school (grades 7 through 9) did close around 1983, but as 9th graders we broke the high school (grades 10 - 12) record... I'm more like Doc Hudson now than Lightning McQueen - retired from competitive sports, LOL!

14. What is your favourite ever TV show and favourite ever movie?
    My favorite TV show was "Numbers" - about an FBI agent who turned to his younger brother, a math professor, to help solve crimes... I majored in math in college... I think you can all guess my favorite movie - at least until June 24 - it's "Cars". I've seen it over 100 times.

15. If you won "Who want's to be a millionaire", what would you do with the money?
    I'd buy an inexpensive condo in Florida near the Gulf Coast so I could get away from the cold Indiana winters, buy a Honda CRV, buy a Cars 2006 sealed Factory Set, donate to the church, Nathan's Playroom, and the local university to set up a scholarship fund...

16. What is your favorite book(s)?
    It's hard to say... I like Tom Clancy books, Foxtrot and Garfield comic books, and of course, Cars books...

17. What is your favorite type of music?
    I like many types of music... I listen to contemporary Christian music on the car radio... I have been listening to the Adam Craig Band CDs in the car on trips... I like some country, classic rock from the late 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s... I attended at least 30 rock concerts while I was in college...

18. What is your favorite beverage?
    Pepsi and unsweetened tea with lemon...

19. What is your favorite food?
    I like Italian food and steaks and hamburgers cooked on the grill... chocolate, and ice cream... ...
    Last edited by MrBrownstone; 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM. Reason: Remove Age Question

If any of those duplicates are the Apple iCar.....

Surely if you won a million you'd get something other than a CR-V though...

Comment

Like it, great job, Mr Brown Stone.

Comment

Good in a way to get an insight too fellow collectors backgrounds of collecting cars.... Mine wouldn't be nearly as interesting as cac1959....thanks for sharing a bit of your life with us...

Comment

Originally posted by MrBrownstone View Post
          If any of those duplicates are the Apple iCar.....

Surely if you won a million you'd get something other than a CR-V though...
          CR-V EX-L with Navigation system... right around $32,000... It would be good for Cars shopping, holding what I'd purchased in stores... I suppose if I moved to Florida I'd pick up a convertible as well for driving out to the beach... as much as I'd like to live on the Gulf of Mexico with private beach access, I know $1 million would not get me much, and I'd rather be a few miles inland in the event of a hurricane.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Excellent job you guys. In depth, well thought out answers. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

2 questions, 1959,
              have you ever been to the indianapolis 500? you must live on the brickyards backdoor
              as a cyclist, are you for or against Armstrong?

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                2 questions, 1959,
                have you ever been to the indianapolis 500? you must live on the brickyards backdoor
                as a cyclist, are you for or against Armstrong?
                I went to qualifications one year for the Indianapolis 500 - I attended Butler University, which is in Indianapolis. I have attend both time trials for the Brickyard 400 and the race itself... anymore I would just as soon watch the event on television from the comfort of my home... A couple of my Cars friends live within 20 minutes of the track - it would be great to head over the night before and attend the race with them.

As far as cycling is concerned, at my age, I cycle for the enjoyment and to try to keep from putting on too much weight... I am saddened that in almost all sports there are competitors who feel the need to gain a competitive advantage by taking steroids or other performance enhancing drugs... baseball players, cyclists, football players, professional and college and high school wrestlers... I have taken a mild steroid (prednisone) on 20 to 25 occasions to clear up poison ivy... If Armstrong or any other athlete has taken shortcuts, they need to come clean... Armstrong's accomplishments coming back from cancer are amazing, but if he indeed has done blood doping, that takes away from it.

I also have attended a handful of Indianapolis Colts football games in person and while that was exciting, would just as soon not mess with the traffic and a 3 hour round trip to Indianapolis... but I don't mind making the trip in search of Cars... Guess we know where my priorities are... One of my UK friends is a San Francisco 49ers fan - he attended the game at Wembley Stadium this fall but that was his first NFL game.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

good reply cac, if I lived anywhere near the brickyard, dont think i,d be away from the place, I assume you have been to the museum?
                  Armstrong , I,m not a big fan, seems to be too good to be true, prefer Cav and Wiggo myself.

All the best

Comment

Unsweetened tea with lemon, yes!
                    Nearly impossible to find in a bottle at the gas station.

Comment

Working...
                    X