Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlight On... VANDANCE

Up next on Spotlight On... from the UK, here's VANDANCE:

1. What is the story behind your PCD screen name?
    My user name originates from an old work colleague. We were both starting out our careers as office juniors and we got on very well as friends. When ever possible we would try to have a bit of fun at work during the quieter times or late on a Friday afternoon. One time he decided to enter my name into an anagram web site. For the next 2 weeks he would only call me by one of the names generated from the list of anagrams he had, which got quite annoying! Some names were a bit too rude to mention but as I collected Hot Wheels, Vandance was a name from his list that was not rude and in keeping with my hobby. So I adopted the name as my on line profile.

2. Where are you from / where do you live now?
    I was born in Plymouth, England. My parents moved to Bristol in the late 70's (thankfully they took me with them) and lived in the suburbs of Bristol for most of my life. I moved to Hethel in Norfolk February 2003 to work at Lotus Cars. After 5 years of living in the back of beyond, I moved 250 miles back home to Bristol where I currently reside.

3. When did you start collecting Cars?
    In 2006 I was a member of the Hot Wheels Collectors forum before the first Cars movie was released and that is where I first heard about Cars. Hot Wheels heads were going nuts for Cars die-cast characters and were raving about the new toy line. Intrigued by the hype, I saw the film as soon as it was out and instantly loved it. My mission in life was then clear, to accumulate as many Cars die-casts as possible!

4. Why did you start collecting Cars?
    I was already into die-cast collecting and Cars were very different to my usual thing. My son who was 3 at the time loved the film Cars too. When shopping we used to hunt out Cars together buying 2 at a time, one for him to play with and one to keep carded for my collection

5. How many cars (roughly) do you currently have?
    My wife says too many! Honestly, I dread to think! I would estimate around 600 or so Cars. But a third of those consist of doubles or card variations. My collection is missing the rare more expensive Cars so I am concentrating on obtaining those in future.

6. Which diecast car is your favourite (only one allowed)?
    It has to be the main man, the star of the show...Lightning McQueen! There are so many different versions, variations and colours of LMQ to collect I have lost count already! I think Mattel got LMQ spot on with the 1:55 die-cast. He is just cool.

7. Which car (from the movie) is your favourite, and why?
    From the movie I love the F430 Schumacher Ferrari. When he and the Maserati's roll up to Luigi and Guido and ask for new tyres, their reaction makes me laugh every time I see the film!

8. What has been your best ever find?
    Bessie. I saw her in TRU hanging on the pegs but it was close to pay day and I was flat broke so decide to leave her behind. Went back as soon as I was flush but she was long gone! I still lay awake at night thinking about that!Otherwise I got Brian Parks on clearance for a few pounds which was great as he is a hard one to get these days.

9. What car(s) do you currently own?
    I have a 2012 Proton Gen-2 (1.6 litre medium sized hatch back) as a Company car. My wife has a 2010 Ford Fiesta Z-tec

10. What is your dream car?
    Easy! Nissan GT-R. With a 3.8 litre 500PS V6 engine, coupled to an advanced electronic four wheel drive system means I would have fun going sideways all day long! I love it's road presence, it's mean, fast but can be quiet and comfortable when you want to drive slowly. I could still take all the family out for the day in style but also scare the living daylights out of them if I choose too!

11. What do you do for a day job?
    I am a Logistics Manager for Proton Cars. Proton are a Malaysian car manufacturer who export cars all over the world. Not big in the States though, so I guess Proton would be comparable to Hyundai or Kia as a manufacturer. Proton also own Lotus cars and PETRONAS Motor oil. I have had the pleasure of working with Lotus on a few joint projects , which got me a ride in an Elise, Exige and the beastly Esprit. I have worked for Proton coming on to 18 years and counting so working with cars is something I enjoy.

12. Other than Cars Collecting, do you have any hobbies?
    I have 2 children who take up most of my free time. My son is 11 and I help out as a coach for his local football (soccer) team. We won the division last season so we are in a tougher league next season. We have been training the team all the summer ready for the start of the new season in September. My daughter is 8 and we do lots of cycling together. I enjoy Mountain biking and she comes with me but never wants to get too muddy! Other than that I have an R/C Nitro car which is fun and I enjoy collecting Hot Wheels and other die-casts. When it's late in the day and the kids are in bed, I enjoy watching any kind of sport on TV with a tall glass of cider.

13. What is your greatest ever achievement?
    Working out how to post a picture on PCD for the first time! Seriously though, my wife and kids, they mean everything to me.

14. What is your favourite ever TV show and favourite ever movie?
    Right now the TV show of choice has to be Lizard Lick towing, I could watch repeats of that show all day but my favourite show ever is Frasier. it's such a well written show I always get a smile from watching. My favourite movie (other than Cars) is meet the Fockers but not sure why!

15. If you won "Who wants to be a millionaire", what would you do with the money?
    I would hit e-bay hard in search for missing Pixar Cars to add to my collection. If I had any cash left after that we would move to a massive house and have a big party! I would buy my dream car(s), a big yacht and a trails / quad bike then go crazy playing with them all day!

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Great to learn more about you, VANDANCE... I started buying for my grandson and I, just like you started buying for your son... and your wife's reply to the "How Many Cars" question is exactly what my wife says... While I'm sure you were gutted about having to leave Bessie and then having her be gone, I'm sure that's happened to many of us... Great find on the Brian Marks Motors - especially on clearance.

I'm glad you finally figured out how to post photos on the site - it's really not that hard if you have a Photobucket account... It's great that you do things with your family - we like Cars (and Planes) but there is nothing more important than family.

Lizard Lick Towing - going to have to research to find out what that's about.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Nice to learn more about you, VANDANCE!
      Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

Wonderful time reading about ya. I collect hot wheels too, but not every one just the ones I like.
        May the Fortune of the Hunt Be With You Jeff/PixarCarsDiecast.com

Comment

it's nice to learn more about a collector from across the pond

thanks vandance

Comment

Working...
          X