Spotlight on .......... indykjt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlight on .......... indykjt

Next up is a man who I closely follow on facebook and who has a story that makes me weep almost every time I read it...

Ladies and Gentle-cars I give you.... indykjt

2. Where are you from / where do you live now?
    I am originally from Chicago, but I now live in Indianapolis, and I have lived here since 1993

3. When did you start collecting Cars?
    Late 2006, if I remember correctly! I pretty much was hooked when I first bought McQueen... and I thought I could "Collect them all"!

4. Why did you start collecting Cars?
    When I first saw previews of the movie, I was instantly hooked on the whole Cars world. Then, when I saw the diecast, they were so perfectly representative of the characters that I couldn't resist.

5. How many cars (roughly) do have currently have?
    Sitting here looking at the shelves covered with loose Cars, boxed sets, the SOS, haulers, boxes and boxes of carded cars... basically I have no idea!

6. Which diecast car is your favourite (only one allowed)?
    My favorite is a custom that a friend made for me, unexpectedly. It is an "Angel Mater", made from a Brand New Mater, with a halo and angel wings. My friend made it and gave it to me in honor of my first son Nathan, who passed away at 6 weeks old. It was given to me right around his angel day a few years ago, and it is by far my most treasured Car.

7. Which car (from the movie) is your favourite, and why?
    Todd... undisputed favorite of all my non-custom. I love Pixar, and the way that Todd is featured in most Pixar movies, plus the attention to detail and unquestionable art of it makes it #1 in my book!

8. What has been your best ever find?
    My best find had to be the first set of launchers from Cars2 before the official release date, at a Hobbytown USA. I turned around and sold them on EBay, and all the profit went into my charity, Nathan's Playroom. They made quite a bit of money at a time when our program needed it!

9. What car(s) do you currently own?
    Real car? A not very exciting 2005 Kia Sedona minivan. It does what we need it to! When it come to Disney/Pixar Cars, I own almost all the releases from Cars 1, except for a few minor variants. I own all the racers from Cars 2 in various forms that have been released (single, launcher, rubber tire, metallic, etc.) and a few select others. I was all in for Cars2 until I realized the distribution and such was as worse as it has ever been. The frustration has been too much, and I have lost most of my desire to collect these. That may change with new Toons or Cars 1 releases... if they ever actually happen!

10. What is your dream car?
    My dream car right now is a white newer model cargo van, to use for our charity Nathan's Playroom. Not what you'd expect, huh? We really need one, and I'd be lucky if we were able to get one any time soon... so yes, it's a dream car! I wouldn't mind a 2012 Ford Mustang GT though (Graphite with black racing stripes!).

11. What do you do for a day job?
    I am the Executive Director of a non-profit organization that my wife and I started in memory of our first son, called Nathan's Playroom. I am also a full time college student (I should have gone to college right after high school... apparently I forgot how to learn!)

12. Other than Cars Collecting, do you have any hobbies?
    I love to read, but most all of my free time is spent on my true passion, which is growing Nathan's Playroom. I am always thinking about ways to improve what we do, and trying to learn as much as I can about running a non-profit.

13. What is your greatest ever achievement?
    My family... no question. I have an wonderful wife that I have had the privilege of being married to for over 15 years, an amazing 13 year-old daughter, and an inspiring 7 year old boy, in addition to my first son Nathan, who will always be 6 weeks old to us.

14. What is your favourite ever TV show and favourite ever movie?
    TV Show - West Wing (I miss that show!) Movie - Remember the Titans

15. If you won "Who want's to be a millionnaire", what would you do with the money?
    Pay off all our bills & house, get us each new cars, put some in the bank for the kids college... and the rest would be donated to Nathan's Playroom.

Thanks for doing these spotlights. It is fun to get to know more of the Cars collector community. I have made a couple really good friends through this obsession, and the same obsession actually helped us start Nathan's Playroom (formerly Cars Cares), and helped us to put our dream into action!
    Last edited by MrBrownstone; 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM. Reason: Removed Age Question

indykjt has been a great friend and trading partner to GOMATERGO and me for several years now... we've helped Nathan's Playroom (and before that Cars Cares) for that time... They are amazing people and Nathan's Playroom is a great organization working for a great cause... I support Nathan's Playroom wholeheartedly.

I'm hoping that new releases help restore your enthusiasm for Cars...

Nice choice on Todd as a favorite Car... sounds like we could have a topic for a future poll... and I appreciate your honest answer to question number 5 - I imagine you're not the only one who has no idea.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Its very nice to learn more about you. Im sorry to hear about your loss, cant imagine what you must of gone through.

Your organization sounds like a worthy cause and i wish you every success with it

Comment

Great to know a little more about you indykjt

I admire anyone who's brave enough to further educate themselves after leaving ful time education

Comment

Thanks for doing these Spotlight posts. Even though I don't post very often, I check this site frequently, and I enjoy learning a bit about other collectors that you see around the boards.

I have been a bit discouraged about the lack of new Cars, but the recent new Toon diecast are getting me excited about the possibilities. I am down to really only being interested in Cars2 racers and chases... but I am all in for new Toons, new Cars 1 items... and Planes when we see them!

Keep up the great work around here cac & MrB!

Comment

I love what you do for Nathan's Playroom and it is great to learn more about you!

Comment

Kevin, I tried going back to school after a long break from high school (twice).
              And only managed a handful of art class credits... And Aaron Sorkin is the man
              (West Wing)! Though I preferred Sports Night & Studio 60 myself. That being
              said Kevin is a stand up fella. One of those people who is always a pleasure to
              work with. And has made my collecting experience better by just being who he is.

Good on ya mate!

Comment

Kevin is one cool dude!! BTW, is there a way to have a link in my signature to remind people to support Nathan's Playroom?

I am a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by GOMATERGO View Post
                  Kevin is one cool dude!! BTW, is there a way to have a link in my signature to remind people to support Nathan's Playroom?
                  Kevin and Nathan's Playroom are definitely #1 in my book.

I just tried editing my signature, GOMATERGO... we'll see in this post if it worked. Yes indeed, it did!

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Hope the college work is going well Kevin, great to read a bit more about you and your large collection of cars! We share a passion with 'Todd' when I look at my sealed Todd he makes me smile every time. I love that car... I probably sound very frightening when I say that but Todd is my guilty pleasure. I am privileged to call you a friend 'even if a very distant one' and I am so pleased to see Nathans Playroom is still very much growing. Will always keep in-touch and you know where I am if you ever need any design or web work done for Nathans Playroom all you need to do is send me a mail and it will be done. 1st of July is getting closer

Comment

Working...
                    X