Respect the Classics: Bessie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: Bessie

How could a character in the Cars movie have no speaking lines and be a classic? If that character was Bessie, the answer to that question is easy... She may be Basic Service Equipment, but she's a great Car.

Bessie has only been released twice... A small plastic version was released in a large Mack playset that folded out into 3 parts - I have that plastic version somewhere... and the only time as a Deluxe diecast version was on the Night Skyline cardback:

Here's the cardback:

Bessie was eagerly anticipated but was very rarely seen in stores... My first Bessie arrived from Rippers in the UK on International cardback on April 28, 2010:

Online US retailers got the case with Bessie towards the end of May 2010... It was never seen at major box stores (Toys R US, Target, Walmart) in the US... Bessie was found in early August 2010 at a grocery store chain... It was also found at a few Kohl's stores that same time... at the end of August 2010, I first found Bessie at Burlington Coat Factory and on 9/6/10 I found her at another Burlington Coat Factory store:

Those were the only times I saw Bessie in a store... 2 times in a 3 week period... when new Cars turn up first at an overstock place, you know there's a distribution problem.

I believe the local flea market still has a Bessie in stock, but I'm not paying $89 plus tax for one.

Here are a few photos of Bessie opened:

And I've also staged Bessie a few times with Lightning McQueen with Shovel:

I'm down to my one opened Bessie in a display case, and one International carded Bessie... I never had many of her - she is perhaps the most rare Deluxe Car as far as the US cardback is concerned... from time to time I've seen a "clean" Bessie (no tar stains) on eBay but at $600 it's way out of my price range... I wish the Disney Store would have released a large scale Bessie like they did Frank, but they never did.

Will Bessie be re-released? I hope so... I don't buy Cars as an investment - I buy them to enjoy them... Time will tell - neither Bessie nor Frank were announced in the returning 2013 Deluxe size Cars mentioned in a post on TakeFiveADay this week.

As Mater mentioned to Lightning McQueen in Cars, "I'd give my left 2 lug nuts for a date with Bessie", I know many of you who don't have her would be willing to pay a premium price for her... you'll have to - if you want to add Bessie to your collection.

Thank you for reading... as always, your comments are appreciated.

P.S. - Those of you who post comments on this article will be entered in the drawing for a prize.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Bessie was actually the car that inspired me to register and begin trading on a Cars site. I found the first one in a TRU during a Grand Opening. Then a few weeks later, I found one in a Burlington Coat Factory. I traded her for a Bye Bye Kar and a Yojimbo. Don't feel bad about that trade because to this day, I still have never seen either of those cars in a store!

signature courtesy of BomBom77
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

I love Bessie. I've found a fair few over my time and traded all but one (and like for like trades too - if only I knew at the time!!!)

I'm still yet to give my son Bessie although when he asks for her I'll certainly give it to him

Comment

Now that my interest in the Cars world is growing...I REALLY REALLY wish I wuold have been collecting back then for the off chance that I may have found Bessie (and Frank).

Good article and a fund read as always Looking forward to the next one...whichever it is (my hope for a future article? "The Fans" lol)
        Last edited by DeceptiCog72283; 09-16-2012, 04:25 PM.

Transformers for Trade
        Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

got my bessie in disney shop back in the day

every time I see a real life bessy it makes me feel good and I always have a chuckle to myself, we got our avenue resurfaced last year, bessie was there for about a fortnight, beezer!

Comment

Wow that's cool!!!!!!!

http://carstoys.wikia.com <--My wiki

http://flickr.com/carstoys/ <--My Flickr

Comment

Bessie really is a cool car. She is the only one without eyes but still has a character of her own! Hopefully someday I can afford to part with my left two lugnuts and have Bessie in my collection.

Keep up the good work Chris!

Comment

except for this released one, there is a clean version Bessie, very nice.

Comment

Was the clean version Bessie only released backdoor, or was it on cardback?

Comment

I've only seen the clean Bessie loose on eBay...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I think bessie is pretty cool.

http://carstoys.wikia.com <--My wiki

http://flickr.com/carstoys/ <--My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Fillmore1234 View Post
                        Was the clean version Bessie only released backdoor, or was it on cardback?
                        Fillmore, I only saw backdoor version so far. PCC had a post to compare Bessie, you can get more detail in that post.

Comment

Bessie... The Finest Road Paving Machine...
                          It was one of the first few diecast i bought...

Fillmore, Just Ebay Bessie and it is the highest price among all available listing. It have been there and is still there...

Comment

Bessie was called "Kin Jei" in Cantonese version released in Hong Kong.
                            That name loosely meant Awesome Lady or Sister in English.
                            "Kin Jei" was also a key character in a local sitcom show boardcasing back then.

Comment

Thank you for the story behind Bessie, sunnetchan... Awesome Lady - that seems most appropriate about Bessie to me.

The eBay link for the clean Bessie now shows a Buy-It-Now price of $499.99...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Pixar...item2a1c41ea9c

I think it was $599.99 earlier, but I could be wrong... I might pay $100 for a clean Bessie, but not this month, not with Kmart Day 9 coming up in 3 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X