Respect the Classics: London Rescue 12 pack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: London Rescue 12 pack

A couple months ago I happened to stop at a Target store and found a price label on the shelf announcing a 12 pack with carrying case for $49.99... I never did see that bundle advertised together... but I did have high hopes for the 12 pack until I saw it... to say I was disappointed was an understatement... and many of you were too.

The London Rescue 12 pack went on clearance the day after Christmas... Instead of the $49.99 price ($4 per Car and $2 for the box), people reported finding it for $24.98, $29.98, or $34.98... I was snowed in and unable to go anywhere until they lifted the travel restrictions in the county... I decided I'd get it if I could find it for $24.98... I asked GotFrank to look for me - he called to tell me it was $34.98... I decided that was too much money for me by the time I factored in shipping.

Friday morning they lifted the travel restrictions in the county... I decided I'd go to Dayton and hopefully find it for $24.98... It was $34.98 at the first Target store I stopped at and I left it on the pegs... I headed to a second Target in a small town... they had about 12 of them and they were still $34.98... but as I looked at it more closely, I decided I'd pick it up... I had brought a Tokyo Victory 7 pack (with Frank Clutchenson) with me and a receipt for a Tokyo Race Day 7 pack I'd paid $29.99 for on the 23rd - I decided I could upgrade from a 7 pack to the 12 pack for $5.34 with tax and decided to do so... The London Rescue 12 pack was $34.98 at a 3rd Target store so I decided I was done driving around and headed for lunch and then home.

Having looked at the 12 pack in depth, I've changed my opinion on it... I like the 12 pack a lot... and even though it has no true new Cars, it includes several upgrades and with tax, it comes out to be $3.12 per Car - that's less than the price per single... is it a classic? I'm not sure, but I like the set... Without further delay, here are the 12 Cars in the London Rescue 12 pack:

You the Bomb Mater

I like this better than the You the Bomb Mater in the TRU 5 pack.

Holley Shiftwell

I like the one piece (unibody) Holley better than the original.

Finn McMissile

While I've seen enough 2 piece Finn McMissile to last a lifetime (single, 2 packs, numerous boxed sets), I like how it looks as a one piece Car... and the net coming out from the front of Finn doesn't look half bad.

Lightning McQueen

While I already had several one piece Lightning McQueen Cars from Cars2, another one isn't going to hurt me... unless I step on it while walking barefoot... and since I don't walk barefoot too often, especially in the winter, that's not going to be a problem for a few months.

Sheriff

I hadn't opened a new Sheriff yet... I've got both the Radiator Springs Classic version and the 2013 singles case A version... We'll have to see how they compare to this one... And Sheriff is a Car that I have in almost every release, from Desert Back to the current release, as singles, in boxed sets... I'll write an article on Sheriff one of these days.

Fillmore

Love the VW Bus... Fillmore is definitely a classic...

Union Jack Ramone

I've definitely been looking forward to Union Jack Ramone... I've had the Disney Store version for months... Not sure whether it's got anything to do with the fact that Ramone is a 1959 Chevy Impala and I was born in 1959, or if he's voiced by Cheech Marin, an actor and comedian that I enjoy, but I like this Car... Union Jack Ramone was the Car in this 12 pack I was most looking forward to adding to my collection.

Victor H

Not sure about the differences between this Victor H and the previously released single, but I like the lemons.

Captured Professor Z

Captured Professor Z is advertised as the exclusive vehicle in the 12 pack...This one has no eye piece... I didn't think that was a big deal to me... I cheered when he was captured in the movie (my wife and grandchildren thought that was strange)... looks good with the net around him... resigned to his fate.

Sally

I like Sally... I like the Porsche... We'll have to look more closely and see if there are differences between this Sally, the one in the 7 pack, and all the singles released through the years... Sally is another character that I collect in almost every release... I probably will never have a Porsche in real life, so I might as well collect all the ones from Cars (and I have been collecting the Hot Wheels versions as well).

Don Crumlin

Another lemon... this one has brown eyes... the single version has blue eyes... is it a VARIANT? I'm sure djjd21 will let us know in an upcoming article... I've always liked the Gremlin... I had a cousin who had one and I used to think I'd like one to drive... but that was a long time ago.

Vladimir Trunkov

Yet another lemon... Vladimir made a brief appearance, along with Victor H, in the 2012 case D that was out at the end of May 2012... I saw that case at Toys R US... and other than finding them at 1 Kroger store at the end of September, never saw it again until the 2013 Case A, part of the Walmart dump bin right before Christmas.

In conclusion

4 lemons - 2 variants (Professor Z and Don Crumlin)... 5 Radiator Springs classic Cars (Fillmore, Sally, Sheriff, Lightning McQueen and Ramone) with one of those being a new paint job... 3 secret agents - 2 making their first appearance with one piece body (Holley and Finn) and You the Bomb Mater being new from its first release in a TRU 5 pack... it's definitely more value for the money than I first thought... and if I can find it for $24.98 next time out I might pick up another one to keep carded.

I also like the effort put into the box... they've added a 3D perspective with the trees:

You can also see London landmarks in the background if you look closely.

And I love this scene right here when Finn captures Professor Z - this would have been a nice 2 pack:

But since I have the 12 pack, I won't buy that 2 pack now.

Is this a classic? It's definitely a better value now that it's on clearance in stores... it's still $49.99 online at Target.com... The DPCI code is 087-07-0521... Did you buy it at $49.99? Will you buy it now that it's on clearance? Let us know.

Thanks for reading... as always, I appreciate your comments.

Thanks for supporting PixarCarsDiecast.com - we look forward to a great year in 2013.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

I bought mine at $50 because I saw it, it was mint and I knew I wouldn't be back to a Target in a long time. I feel it's even worth the original price tag, but for some completists it may not seem like it would be.

Union Jack Ramone is awesome, and Professor Z is awesome but a little bit less... I lol'd at your quote of how you cheered when Professor Z was captured.
    Holley and Finn look so much better being 1 piece instead of 2. Little things like that make this box set worth the money.

Great article cac, I enjoyed reading it.

Comment

Do you suppose this could be why the original price was $49.99 and why the bad set on eBay was listed for so much?

That's a lot of effort to secure the Cars to the box...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

wow...that is way too much string. I guess that makes it harder to steal cars lol.

great article and it temps me lol...mostly for that brown eyed Don Crumlin

Transformers for Trade
        Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

Well, I woukd love to get this 12pack at 24.99 - but we do not have Target here in Germany, so I guess I will just have to nsit and wait if any friends find it for me.

Comment

Very nice article!! Love the close up pics!!

I am a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

fantastic pics from your new camera cac1959,i do like the 3d effect of the trees it certainly adds that extra dimension to the whole scene.
              sadly over here in the uk we don't have box sets like this available although if it was it would be priced at circa Ł60 ($96)if it was compared to the TRU released 10 pack which was Ł50 retail.
              thankfully we have friends all over to help out

for a new collector this is an unmissable buy and especially at it's sale price,with cars like sally and sherriff commanding high prices on the secondary market,not to mention the exclusives and also the variant don, to pass on this set would be a big mistake.

great read cac1959,thanks for your efforts

Comment

Another great article Chris. I found this in a Target 2 days after Christmas for $33. Gonna hold out a little longer for $24, I'd pick it up. Tempted to check it out today before football to see what it is at my local Target.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

This should sell out this week when I expect them to drop prices again. 60% off would be $19.98, 70% off would be $14.98, and 75% off would be $12.48. Target's final clearance is always 90% off, which would be $4.98 -- could you imagine?!

Comment

Whi I am listed as a "Cars Contributer"? Shouldn't that be spelled "Contributor"?

Comment

Originally posted by John in Missouri View Post
                      Whi I am listed as a "Cars Contributer"? Shouldn't that be spelled "Contributor"?
                      I just logged into the Admin portion of the site and hopefully made the change, John... you might have to post again for it to take effect... and if my change didn't work, MrBrownstone will make the change.

I have seen the 12 pack at 30% off at 3 Target stores... I hope to find it at 50% off tomorrow or Tuesday when I make a trip to Indianapolis.

I've also learned from GOMATERGO that there is a variant of Don Crumlin with green eyes... we'll upload photos.

Comment

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post

I've also learned from GOMATERGO that there is a variant of Don Crumlin with green eyes... we'll upload photos.
                        here's a pic of the original found in the international singles cardback which has green eyes although from alternate angles and different lighting can appear blue.

i've been looking for the side by side shot that jbail10 provided but i can't seem to find it.
                        Last edited by djjd21; 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post
                          Do you suppose this could be why the original price was $49.99 and why the bad set on eBay was listed for so much?

That's a lot of effort to secure the Cars to the box...

I finally bought this set this morning for $24.98 + tax. I'm tempted to replace the Ramen Noodles covering Professor Z with all that packaging string!

Comment

Originally posted by djjd21 View Post

i've been looking for the side by side shot that jbail10 provided but i can't seem to find it.

Transformers for Trade
                            Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

thank you my friend,that's what i was looking for

Comment

Working...
                              X