How do you store your collection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you store your collection?

I try and pick up the original Mattel cases as and when I am shopping (if I am lucky enough to be there at the right time!) My collection of over 400 cars are all in Mattel cases. Anyone else keep their Cars in these cases too? I have 4 of the very first wave of cases with a prmomtional disclaimer on the side:
    Box1.jpgbox5.jpgbox3.jpg

I find these boxes keep the Cars in good condition, be interested to hear of other methods collectors use?! Cheers Guys.

I use the case P boxes i ordered from JMDL to store my cars plus other boxes

Comment

Mattel boxes... other boxes... plastic tubs... carded Cars and boxed sets on book shelves and a china cabinet... and my opened Cars for display are in 8 display cases (6 mounted on walls and 2 more that need to be)... and I need more display cases.

My wife would like me to eliminate the cardboard boxes.

I like this topic - I'm going to move it to the main General Discussion forum so more members will see it and offer comments.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

My unopened cars are almost all on a shelf (piled up, not displayed) waiting to be opened. The few that I plan on keeping carded are currently stored in clear plastic bins, big enough to hold about 16 singles in package (easier to locate what I am looking for) Most of the opened cars are either very well played with or are piled carefully (but not separated) in the same clear plastic bins. I have a small spot on my mantle that I use to display cars, but only one theme at a time. Right now it is all of the RVs (yep, just 2). Tonight I will be getting the King hauler completing the set of dinoco stuff, so Dinoco will be displayed for a while. My last display was the set of cars that got me hooked in the beginning (main characters from cars). Playsets are stacked up and brought down for play periodically.

Comment

my displayed collection is in 1 shadow box, 8 display cases, 1 six foot tall display cabinet, 1 eight foot tall bookcase and carded cars hanging on the walls
          my extra cars are in the following pictures as well as one more tub not pictured

2DSCN2885.jpg2DSCN2895.jpg2DSCN2896.jpgDSCN2887.jpg

Comment

Am I right in saying that people keep unopened cars in boxes, cripes almighty, what is the point in that, surely you cant even see the things and the point in collecting is to look and admire them
            Her indoors does not let me keep cars stuff downstairs or upstairs for that matter, so everything is in the den in the roof space, the opened stuff is displayed on/in shelving whilst the unopened stuff is pinned along the wall and jolly good it looks too
            The only car i,m allowed to keep in the living room is the Le Mans winning Maxda of Johnny Herbert, but that is a work of art!

Comment

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/to_each_his_own

I collect like this:

And like this:

And like this:
              Last edited by GotFrank; 04-18-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boogity View Post
                Am I right in saying that people keep unopened cars in boxes, cripes almighty, what is the point in that, surely you cant even see the things and the point in collecting is to look and admire them
                Her indoors does not let me keep cars stuff downstairs or upstairs for that matter, so everything is in the den in the roof space, the opened stuff is displayed on/in shelving whilst the unopened stuff is pinned along the wall and jolly good it looks too
                The only car i,m allowed to keep in the living room is the Le Mans winning Maxda of Johnny Herbert, but that is a work of art!
                everything in my boxes are extras
                i have one or more of every car on display

Comment

why have extras, that is the question?

Comment

Courtesy of boogity....

Comment

why have extras, that is the question?
                      extras are to trade for cars i can't find locally
                      to trade or sell to collectors that can't find them
                      backup if something happens to one of my open cars

Comment

I keep extras for the same reasons... and I've also used some of my extras for prizes on PCD contests.

I also have carded:

Desert Back 12 singles
                        Desert Back 16 singles
                        Desert Back Movie Moments
                        Walmart 8 singles
                        Kmart Cars Collector Event Cars

I do want to downsize - I have too many extras of Cars I don't need... but I am a Cars-a-holic who enjoys helping out others.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by carslover View Post
                          extras are to trade for cars i can't find locally
                          to trade or sell to collectors that can't find them
                          backup if something happens to one of my open cars
                          Yep, what he said.

Comment

BOX BOX BOX! 99.9% of my collection is in boxes.
                            Scattered from underneath my working table to outside of myhouse.

I only display a few cars that i have.. I have a display case for the superchase above the piano at home.
                            The rest is display next to my bed side.

What annoys my wife is those loose cars that i keep in our room.
                            I have 4boxes of loose cars. Each box easily have 100-200 cars..

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post
                            I keep extras for the same reasons... and I've also used some of my extras for prizes on PCD contests.

I also have carded:

Desert Back 12 singles
                            Desert Back 16 singles
                            Desert Back Movie Moments
                            Walmart 8 singles
                            Kmart Cars Collector Event Cars

I do want to downsize - I have too many extras of Cars I don't need... but I am a Cars-a-holic who enjoys helping out others.
                            Wink Wink..
                            Last edited by pirelliboy; 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM.

Comment

It's great to see the different ways collectors display and store their Cars. I would ideally like to have all my carded Cars on display around the house but that would mean either a much bigger house or a one way ticket to the divorce courts. As we are not planning on moving house any time soon, I'll be un-boxing my enitre collection later on today! lol!!! Seriously I do have a shelf in the gargae with all the 'loose' Cars I have picked up from Toy fairs and boot sales.

Radiator1.jpgRadiator3.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]1967[/ATTACH
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X