Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorama McQueen which date code is the correct one ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorama McQueen which date code is the correct one ?

carslover told me that there is a Motorama McQueen available on ebay.com with the date code 1410,
    my Motorama has the date code 1540 EAA M.I., so is this a counterfeit ? Which is the correct date code for
    the original Motorama McQueen ?

here is my Motorama McQueen

The original production run as commissioned by Pixar is 1410... day 141 of 2010... there was a later run of 1540 EAA MI... day 154 of 2010... Did a second run get authorized and then they changed their minds? Is it an unauthorized production run? We can't answer the question.

My Motorama McQueen has 1540 EAA MI; it is my most expensive single Car purchase so far...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

In my experience with the Motorama McQueen. The only way of being certain it came from the PIXAR event. Is if you were there, or a PIXAR employee handed\sold it to you.

Comment

This is unfortunately one of the most copied Cars of all time. Those that know me know that I focus my collecting primarily on rare cars and error cars. The Motorama McQueen is one I still do not have but it's because I have not found an authentic one yet. The 1540 code is definitely a second run and not from the picnic - which makes the car worth about $4. But of course the counterfeiters went to work quickly on this one in China and started mass producing ones with the correct 1410 code. You can find them all over ebay from $150-$300 usually. But these are not legit either. The ONLY way to EVER have an authentic Motorama from the picnic is to have the goody bag that was given out at the picnic as well. And buying it directly from a Pixar employee who was at the event and can PROVE it. Therefore I would not recommend anyone pay big dollars at all for this car thinking you have the real one. I will continue looking but i'm not holding out hopes of ever finding a real one for sale - it's as hard to find as the JL Surf Truck in my opinion.

Comment

You will never find a motorama car for $4, "real" or "fake." Every Motorama car looks identical, the date code being the only difference. I collect for the cars, some for the value. I have yet to see a plastic bag that is worth $350, which is about the difference of buying one with the bag or one without the bag. As PopeMobile said, without being an employee at the picnic, or getting it directly from them and having proof that they were there, there is no way to tell if it is real. I could even print out a baggie that looks official enough at work if I desired, so a baggie makes no difference in value to me. I would say enjoy the car since it a really cool one.

Comment

I didn't say it was possible to find a Motorama for $4 - I said the 'value' on one you buy would be worth about $4 (worthless) unless you can prove it's from the picnic. The bag is not what you are buying - it is just a form of a COA. And you wouldn't know how to make the bag unless you know what an official one looks like and more importantly, what were the items in the bag Pixar included. Some people have that information (i.e met at Take5) and if you find one that you think is legit you can have him verify it cause he knows what was in the bag and other tidbits from the picnic.

Comment

ok, i just wanted to know if this is a counterfeit or not. Now i know it is not the real deal, but i couldn't care less, because i like this car a lot and it looks like the legit one and i am happy with the one i have. I don't collect these cars for the value, but because i enjoy the hunt and the design of these cool cars. But anyhow thanks for the clarification and now back to the joy of this hobby (this is no science or financial investment (in my point of view, but i can only speak for myself)

Comment

I wasn't saying to collect for investment - rather I was just trying to point out that if someone is buying a Motorama and paying big dollars for it (typically $150+) then you're spending quite a bit of money for a car that is not an authentic release. Most people are paying that under false pretenses thinking they are getting the actual car from the picnic when in fact it's not. If you're comfortable still paying that cause you love the car that is fine. But that is not the choice I would make. If I'm shelling out big bucks I want the real thing.

Comment

ok, got that. Now you have the chance to buy the real thing on ebay for 445 $ at Dan's ebay shop, you will get a
                  wonderful plastic bag for your hard earned money plus the McQueen with the correct date stamp. Well, they look pretty the same for me up to the price tag. Maybe the future owner will get his money back when he is trying to sell this real thing at one day, but i doubt that. So we have three alternatives, A) to pay 100 $ for the backdoor version (that's the price that i have paid incl. shipping) with the knowing that it is worthless (4 $) with a pretty good chance to sell it at any time for a similar price, because there is no cheaper alternative, or B) to pay the big bucks with the good feeling that you have the real deal (or maybe not, who knows ?) with a safe assumption that you have spent more than you probably will ever get back for this car, because most collectors will choose the first option to get a Motorama McQueen, or C) the last alternative to pass on this car and have nothing at all. For an opener who want's them all not the best way to go, so my money goes on alternative A. So different people, different point of views, there is no right, there is no wrong. Do what ever you think it is the right way, i like to own this Motorama McQueen and insofar as there is no cheaper alternative available on the market i am still happy with the one i have.

Comment

Well put!

Comment

Got my worthless one for $25 back in the day.
                      Whoo Hoo!

Comment

I wonder whether there are photos of the original Motorama McQueen? And are there other signs of authenticity, except for the numbers on the bottom? For example, there are Mac iCar feature set.

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
                          In my experience with the Motorama McQueen. The only way of being certain it came from the PIXAR event. Is if you were there, or a PIXAR employee handed\sold it to you.
                          I'm sticking with this. ^

The codes on the backdoors were identical to the legit ones.
                          And there were backdoors in legit looking plastic bags.
                          So without ironclad provenance ie: a PIXAR employee.
                          There's no real way to tell them apart as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by keonisdad View Post
                            ok, got that. Now you have the chance to buy the real thing on ebay for 445 $ at Dan's ebay shop, you will get a
                            wonderful plastic bag for your hard earned money plus the McQueen with the correct date stamp. Well, they look pretty the same for me up to the price tag. Maybe the future owner will get his money back when he is trying to sell this real thing at one day, but i doubt that. So we have three alternatives, A) to pay 100 $ for the backdoor version (that's the price that i have paid incl. shipping) with the knowing that it is worthless (4 $) with a pretty good chance to sell it at any time for a similar price, because there is no cheaper alternative, or B) to pay the big bucks with the good feeling that you have the real deal (or maybe not, who knows ?) with a safe assumption that you have spent more than you probably will ever get back for this car, because most collectors will choose the first option to get a Motorama McQueen, or C) the last alternative to pass on this car and have nothing at all. For an opener who want's them all not the best way to go, so my money goes on alternative A. So different people, different point of views, there is no right, there is no wrong. Do what ever you think it is the right way, i like to own this Motorama McQueen and insofar as there is no cheaper alternative available on the market i am still happy with the one i have.
                            option d) make or buy a custom made car for less than $100. It will still look nice and it lets you keep more of your money in your wallet to buy new releases.

I found a BD last year for $29.99, but the rims were mostly red instead of having a small red trim and silver paint. I don't care, I like it very much considering the price paid. No way I was paying $400+ for this.

Comment

Working...
                            X