Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Generation video game consoles - your plans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Generation video game consoles - your plans?

In addition to collecting Cars, I enjoy video games... maybe not as much as I did when I was younger, but I still play... I currently play Carcassonne on my iPhone with toffman as well as by myself against 2 computer opponents...

I currently have Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 systems... Nintendo has released WiiU (which I don't have)... Sony has announced the followup to the PS3, and today Microsoft is supposed to announce the followup to the the 360... What are your plans for these next generation consoles? Do you plan to buy? I expect to add either the new unit from Sony and/or Microsoft... I'd like to be able to play existing games on the new units but it may not happen... I hope either or both of the new systems will be able to play Blu-Ray and DVD discs... My PS3 is my Blu-ray player.

In the past I had the Atari 2600, Atari 800, Playstation, PS2, Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Game Cube... I may be leaving some of them out...

I hope that we don't have to be always connected to the Internet to be able to play games or watch movies.

What are your plans for the new game consoles? Do you think you'll buy units from more than one maker, and if so, which do you think you'll buy first?

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Santa Claus left a Wii at our house on Christmas. Doesn't get much use. My kids aren't really old enough for video games yet and I never really was into them either. We will probably skip this generation of consoles and get the next one.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/29/42...-for-next-xbox
      I would like to get the Next Xbox. My boys are to young for games also. And I can wait till the price drops drastically for the new xbox

Comment

I have a Wii U. I have no plans to get either of the new ones that are on the way. Overall, I am very happy with the system, but I don't have a lot of free time these days to use it.

Comment

I have the 360 and Wii. No time to play now but I used to be a top Project Gotham Racing and Forza Motorsport racer on Xbox live Pretty handy on Ghost Recon too.
          Kids put a stop to 99% of my free time.
          I'd love the new systems but I guess I'll have to wait till my boys are older

Comment

Growing up, my family had every system that came out (other than the Neo Geo). We didn't have much money, but my Dad donated plasma a couple times a week to be able to get the games. I have 2 older brothers, and a Dad who all hogged the systems all of the time. I rarely played, so up until the Wii U, we had never owned a system in my adult home. I will probably skip the newest ones, but if I can get one early via pre-sale, then I might get one or the other. Mostly depends on whether or not my wife or I get a raise this year.

Comment

Glad I'm not alone in this, we have a PS3 at home but these days it's only used as our bluray player. The boys are too young for it and I can't find any free time to play myself...definitely see myself playing with the kids on the PS6?

Comment

i have a xbox360 which i use from time to time - currently playing lego lord of the rings

i originally bought it to play grand theft auto 4 so would only really think about upgrading when a future gta game is only available on a next gen console - and as gta V is coming out on the xbox360 that could be 5+ years away

may buy a wii u when charlie is a few years older as that seems the best for games with younger children

Comment

I have a ps1, 2, and 3. Always been a bit of a gamer. Still playing skyrim.
                  Buy games at the bootsales all the time. Last game I brought was on Sunday for Ł1.
                  Don't get a lot of time to play but will get the ps4 . If I can get the new Samsung tv that you use your hands to use it, I think it would be cool.

Comment

I just saw that the WiiU basic system is on sale at target for $239 down from $299.

Comment

I own a PS3, PS2, Wii, and a DSi, as well as countless others that I haven't used in years (Gameboy, PSP, Gameboy Advance.. I used to love playing games while traveling) I bought the Wii a year after it came out and played it all the time until a year and a half ago when I became more interested in Cars than gaming. Now I only play it when friends are over or I get a game that I'm really excited about.

Come to think of it, I don't play games near as much as I used to. The DSi has been gathering more dust than some Finn McMissiles. However I do still play the PS3 once in a while. I've also played on the Atari 2600 a few times as well (very cool!).

And I haven't played on the Wii U yet, although I want to. Honestly I won't buy it unless they make a Mario Kart Wii U, because I have pretty much beaten everything you can do on Mario Kart Wii since IMO it was one of the best games on the Wii.

Comment

Update: The new Microsoft system is called the Xbox One...

There's an update about it on the USATODAY site:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/g...-xbox/2345653/

Here are system specs from crave.cnet.com:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...eils-xbox-one/

The Xbox One also includes three operating systems in one -- the Xbox operating system, a Windows OS kernel, and software to connect the two operating systems for multitasking. Microsoft also launched a new Xbox Live system for its updated game console Under the hood of the large, sleek, black device are an eight-core processor, 8GB of RAM, Blu-ray, USB 3, HDMI in/out, and a 500GB hard drive..

Both the PS4 and the Xbox One are expected to be out in time for the holiday season.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I'm hoping for a few more years of playing with toys before all my children want to do is play video games.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                          http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

I have consoles all over the place in the house and is a big part of my life.

All in all here's a list of all the consoles I own

Sega master system ver. 1 - pal + 12 games
                            Sega mega drive ver.1 - pal + 30 games
                            Sega genesis ver 1 - NTSC + 3 games
                            Sega Saturn - pal + 7 games
                            Sega dreamcast - pal + 200 games

Sony playstation 1 version 1 with separate RCA connectors at the rear - pal both modded and un modded + 80 games
                            Sony playstation 1 version 2 with no RCA connectors - pal
                            Sony PSOne - pal
                            Sony playstation 2 version 1 - pal + 50 games
                            Sony playstation 3 version 1 60gb - pal (original model that plays most ps 1 and 2 discs) - pal + 20 games
                            Sony playstation 3 slim 250gb - pal

Xbox - pal (modded extensively with LCD display on front of console) - pal + 250 games
                            Xbox 360 original arcade version with 20gb HD - pal + 20 games
                            Xbox 360 elite ver.1 with 180gb HD - pal
                            Xbox kinect motion

Nintendo snes - pal + 12 games
                            Nintendo 64 - pal + 15 games
                            Nintendo GameCube -pal + 20 games
                            Nintendo wii - modded ver.1 - pal + 80 games
                            Nintendo ds lite + r4 card with 200+ games
                            Nintendo dsi Xl
                            Nintendo 3ds Xl + 10 games

Panasonic 3do ver.1 - pal + 8 games
                            Panasonic Q (GameCube and DVD player in one) - NTSC Japanese + 3 games

I also have an arcade machine with 2 light guns and a game called police trainer inside,although it can be altered to take other games and joysticks instead of the guns.
                            I also made my own little arcade machine so that the circuit boards inside these machines can be played on a regular tv with a scart socket.

Favourite games of all time

Final fantasy 7 on playstation 1 - has to be the best game I've ever played. 120 + hours of sheer bliss.
                            Zelda.ocarina of time on Nintendo 64
                            Bubble bobble on arcade and playstation 1 - soooo addictive
                            Street fighter,marvel vs.capcom, - Capcom fighting games ,simply the best
                            Tekken - mastering Paul phoenix's and King's throw combos are just so gratifying.
                            Killer instint on arcade and Nintendo 64 - again seeing 60+ hit finishing combos are sublime.
                            Command and conquer - pc,playstation,n64,ps3 - best rts game ever made.

Current game faves

Formula 1 2012 on PS 3
                            Dust 514 on PS3 (first ever cross machine game, pc (eve online ) and ps3 (dust514)

The next gen consoles are going to offer a new HD experience called 4k,obviously you will need a compatible tv to get the full benefits of the visuals,which at the moment are extremely expensive,although there is a little handeld coming out by nvidia(graphics cards manufacturers) which boasts 4k resolution on the handheld,it looks very similar to an existing Xbox joypad with a flip up screen in the middle of it.

Comment

I stayed up and checked the reveal live cast for xbox one but after finishing it i am really impressed and intrigue about what it offers but i am not sold.
                              I might decide to skip xbox one for this gen. The main concern i have is this is a console that heavily sells on the Live TV experience.
                              In actual fact i need something like this! However, I believe 90% of those Live TV experience will not be available in my country thanks to the CUSTOMISATION / TAILOR TO LOCAL content which AKA nothing.

I see people keep bashing the name why xbox ONE. They say this will doom the xbox... because it has the same name as the first xbox? Gee..
                              Since when the first xbox was called xbox one and the first Gen of xbox has been dead for many years. I don't see calling it xbox one will cause any marketing fiasco like the WiiU.

Personally, i might skip WiiU. I can't be buying nintendo's tablet console for just a few games. I have been skipping Mario for the past few years and i guess i will continue to do so.
                              Is my son who is bugging me to get him the Lego City Undercover. I might just get another 3DSLL and that will do the job!!
                              OH, now i remember why i didn't want a WiiU! It is because of the stupid region lock thing.
                              I always believe is really stupid and narrow minded that nintendo implemented the region lock when today we are talking about the world is being boundary-less and converging.
                              Yeah.. the only reason nintendo did the region lock is $$$$$$ !

PS4? Not sure i might get that but i think eventually i will get that unless it decides to change their mind and starts implementing region lock.
                              I own a Vita and i am looking forward to play my PS4 game on Vita! I like the idea that all PS4 game can be played on the Vita.
                              It makes things more portable

Wall of Text Ends

Oh.. i just feel like venting this..
                              Over the past 2-3 years many analyst and game experts keep stressing mobile / facebook game is killing the console.
                              In actual fact i think NO. I just find how naive and shallow these analyst is. Sometimes, i wonder do they ever play games on console.
                              Currently, what a mobile offers is no where close to console and it makes me wonder when..
                              Last edited by wintermelon; 05-22-2013, 06:32 AM. Reason: fixed some typos

Comment

Working...
                              X