RARE and Hard to Find Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RARE and Hard to Find Cars

Note: 5/15/23 - Interesting seeing my list after 4 years. The cars that stand the test of time are the ones that are not easily mass produced or re-released. Overall prices have come down some. The 2006 Factory Sealed set has dropped to around $1200 but some are available with broken seals for $800.
    Time for a much needed updated on this. I am changing this list to include only the most valuable and rare cars. The first 3 on this list are the holy grail that all serious collectors should have. I removed all the super chase cars as the value dropped on most of these to $20-$50 and super chase is now nothing special - hence demand has dropped. Trying to keep this list to anything in the $150+ value and up. Think I missed something? Let me know.

Most Valuable and Rare Cars
    1) Speedway of the South Set (only 1000 made) - pricing around $1500-$2000
    2) JL Surfin Safari (given out by John Lassetire to Pixar Crew on Cars 2 Movie) - pricing around $1000-$1300
    3) 2006 Factory Sealed Set (only 500 made) - pricing around $1200
    4) Snot Rod w/confetti (approx less than 100 made) - pricing around $250
    5) Race Damaged Mood Springs - pricing around $200 (will continue to go higher unless Mattel has a re-release of the car)
    6) Bubba & Mater twin pack - pricing around $150
    7) El Materdor - pricing around $250
    8) D23 Convoy Brothers Set (only ~1300 produced) - pricing around $500 (used to be around $800 so has come down a lot)
    9) D23 Albert Hinckley
    10) D23 Chrome Mcqueen (only 250 made) - pricing around $250
    11) Flo's Precision Series Café - pricing around $1000 - $1100 (not really rare but demand is very high right now - people bought these for $43 and are selling them at a grand on ebay now. This is one of the best profit returns ever on Cars. I do believe pricess will drop for this eventually cause several thousand were made).

Famous Cars that are Not on the LIst Above
    1) McQueen 'The ONE' - only one was ever made and therefore you will never own it - basically it's a custom car, one of a kind
    2) The "50" Ransburg McQueens - given out at an early Pixar meeting before the first Cars movie. Known to be heavily counterfeited with fakes coming from China. To date none of the legitimate ones have made it to the collector community.
    3) Motorama McQueen - given out at Pixar picnic. Heavily counterfeited with fake date codes on underbelly. Then the counterfeiters figured out what the correct code should be and put that on the underbelly. Very difficult if not impossible to prove one is legit. There was a goodie bag that it was in when given out at the picnic - you need to have that with the car if you hope to get a real one.
    Last edited by PopeMobile; 05-15-2023, 11:04 PM.

Rumour chuck choke and a few exclusive might get a re-release in 2014...
    Just rumour

Comment

It's nice that this thread is back Pope! I looked at the list again and can't think of anything else to put on it.. The only thing that came to my mind was Mini, an exclusive to Kmart Day 2. I would say she's right on the border of medium rare to not-so-rare-as-medium-rare.

The one thing I do remember about this thread is all the lengthy discussions people had about their opinions on certain rare Cars. Keep it civil, but we'd love to hear what everyone's opinions are on the matter!

Comment

I agree - we need to keep things civil.

What may be rare to one person may not be rare to someone else... I know many people did not see the Final Lap K case Cars (Hooman, Coriander Widetrack, Swift Alternator, and Derek Decal Dobbs), but I must have seen and purchased 30 sets and left others... I don't have any full sets left any more and am not sure if I have any singles.

Also keep in mind that the items on the list are opinions of Popemobile and other members of the Cars community - they may not necessarily reflect the views of the site administrators and moderators.

Chris

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by Fillmore1234 View Post
          It's nice that this thread is back Pope! I looked at the list again and can't think of anything else to put on it.. The only thing that came to my mind was Mini, an exclusive to Kmart Day 2. I would say she's right on the border of medium rare to not-so-rare-as-medium-rare.

The one thing I do remember about this thread is all the lengthy discussions people had about their opinions on certain rare Cars. Keep it civil, but we'd love to hear what everyone's opinions are on the matter!
          I used to have a 3rd bucket - called Mildly Rare and Mini was on that one. I deleted the list as it was the more controversial of the 3 as the gray line of what constituted mildly rare was widely different amongst members. But Mini has always been in demand and not released since the ROR cardback so I will add her to the medium list. Thank you for your suggestion.

Comment

Can you guys tell me more about the D23 Chrome Mcqueen? I don't think I have ever heard of that one.

Comment

Originally posted by wintermelon View Post
              Rumour chuck choke and a few exclusive might get a re-release in 2014...
              Just rumour
              Funny you mention that, saw him yesterday on eBay as a backdoor, without the camera...

Comment

What is Snot Rod with Confetti?
                RBCars77 check out my YouTube Channel @ RCcars5

Comment

Snot Rod with confetti is a very limited packaging of Snot Rod with "confetti" on the blister; the first 2 Impound Chase Cars, McQueen and Boost, were released with "confetti" on the blister... by the time they released Snot Rod (and then Wingo and DJ), the blisters no longer had confetti.

Here's a photo showing the Impound Tunerz from the article published at:
                  http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...a-Tune%28rz%29

None of the Cars have confetti on the blister.

Here's a photo showing Impound Boost with (left) and without (right) confetti:

And as far as the D23 Chrome Lightning McQueen, it was sold during the 2011 D23 convention... It was a 1:18 scale Car that retailed for $99.99... limited to 250 pieces, it soon became a popular item and went up in value quickly... You can read about it and see photos at the following link:

http://www.pixarpost.com/2012/08/d23...lightning.html

Popemobile - it would take some time and effort, but I am willing to take and post photos of items on your list that I have and I will then ask for photos of items I don't have... I have unlimited bandwidth on my Photobucket account so I can store the photos in my account... let me know if you're interested... with photos to help identify items on the list, it might be helpful to members.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by RBCars77 View Post
                    What is Snot Rod with Confetti?
                    Here's a picture of one -->http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Cars-...f4#ht_39wt_919

See the confetti inside the blister? Snot Rod with that confetti was only manufactured on one day back in 2008 and then it was cut off so the number of these are extremely limited. An authentic has a date code stamp of 2678 on the back. Very hard to find and very expensive.

Comment

Here is what I don't have in my collection...

Extremely Rare
                      1) Speedway of the South Set (only 1000 made)
                      2) 2006 Factory Sealed Set (only 500 made)
                      3) Snot Rod w/confetti (approx less than 100 made)
                      6) 3 Showstoppers (Laverne, Rhonda, Sheila)
                      9) D23 chrome McQueen (only 250 made)
                      10) Vertical 3 pack Sparemint
                      18) UK Disney Store McQueen (only 500 made)
                      19) Disney Store Tunerz with Neon Lights
                      21) Taia Decotura
                      22) Taco Truck Mater
                      23) Rollin Bowlin Mater - Character Pack [with teal Mater/Rollin' Bowlin' Mater, Sheriff, Sally, purple Ramone, Doc Hudson, Wingo]
                      24) Rip Clutchgoneski launcher
                      25) PopeMobile International Card
                      26) French promo Gask-its
                      27) Motorama (authentic with goodie bag given out at Pixar picnic)
                      28) JL Surf Truck (given out by John Lassetire to Pixar Crew on Cars 2 Movie)

Medium Rare
                      1) All 3 Luigi / Guido with paint rollers cards (US, International, and Canadian/Singapore)
                      2) Dirt Track Doc Hudson vertical 3 pack
                      3) Horizontal 3 pack Sparemint
                      5) Mia/Tia 1:18 - 5000
                      9) Meet at Flo's set
                      10) Flo's V8 Cafe (first printing - original set)
                      11) Horizontal 3 pack Nitroade Crew - US version
                      14) Van with Sticker on rear Nice Butte
                      18) Frank the Combine
                      24) Blu-Ray Mcqueen with brown envelope original packaging
                      29) Black Mack Hauler
                      35) RIP Clutchgoneski Disney Store model with 'Cars' in logo (not 'Cars 2') and with racing background
                      37) Bumper Save Hauler (Target exclusive)
                      39) Character Pack [with Sarge, Fillmore, original Lightning McQueen, King, Chick, Lizzie] [classic]
                      40) Cruise Night [with Mater, Sheriff, Doc Hudson, Sally, purple Ramone, red Cruisin' McQueen] [Supercharged]
                      41) Speedway 6 [with Dinoco McQueen, Chick, King, Ferrari F430, Nitroade, RPM #64] [Supercharged]
                      42) Dinoco 400 - 8 piece set
                      43) Radiator Springs Gift Pack - 5 piece set [Supercharged]
                      44) 10 Car Value Pack

Exclusives- (these are cars released only in a set at retailers but never as a single. None of these have been re-released to date so rarity is there once the set disappears from stores. For example, Hank Hallsum hasn't been seen in years in stores and has never had a single released of him so he is rare. Other items are newer but future value, demand, and rarity are anticipated for these once the sets are gone from stores.)
                      19) Clutch Foster

Still a long list, but of those that I don't have, here are what I would still be interested in obtaining...

6) 3 Showstoppers (Laverne, Rhonda, Sheila)
                      21) Taia Decotura
                      22) Taco Truck Mater
                      23) Rollin Bowlin Mater
                      28) JL Surf Truck
                      14) Van with Sticker on rear Nice Butte
                      18) Frank the Combine
                      24) Blu-Ray Mcqueen with brown envelope original packaging
                      19) Clutch Foster

I've actually recently made trades for 3 of the above Cars and I'm just waiting for them to arrive in the mail. Maybe you should add those 2 packs with Miles and pitties and Miguel and crew chief to your list because as far as I know, they haven't been released in the U.S. yet.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
                      http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Originally posted by e.davies1 View Post
                        Can you guys tell me more about the D23 Chrome Mcqueen? I don't think I have ever heard of that one.
                        Here you go. Only 250 were ever made - it's a $500 piece on average. It lights up and is really beautiful.

Comment

Erik Laneley fiat card? That deserves a spot in the extremely rare

I think Horizontal Sparemint 3 pack should be in extremely rare also.

Comment

Originally posted by maxgc53 View Post
                            Erik Laneley fiat card? That deserves a spot in the extremely rare

I think Horizontal Sparemint 3 pack should be in extremely rare also.

That International Erik Lanely is more an Error than Rare.

Comment

well I don't have the D23 1 of 250 LMQ
                              but I did get the UK 1 of 500 version
                              DSCN0099.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X