Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Back Fever - A History of Desert Back Cars

Desert Back 12 Cars

The first 12 Cars released were known as the Desert Back 12 Cars, as there are 12 of them pictured on the cardback, and the desert scene is on the card... A few months later Mattel released an updated set known as Desert Back 16 (DB16) Cars... the 4 new Cars in the DB16 series were Dinoco Lightning McQueen, Ramone, Leakless, and Nitroade.

Here are some pictures of Desert Back Cars:

Lizzie: DB12 and DB16:

DB12 Lizzie and Sarge - notice there is no "License to Win" on the Sarge cardback:

DB12 Filmore and Sheriff - Fillmore was spelled incorrectly on many Cars... In fact, I believe there are 5 variations of Filmore/Fillmore:

DB12 King and Chick Hicks:

DB12 Mater and Lightning McQueen:

DB12 DJ and Wingo:

DB12 Sally and Doc Hudson:

I had bought a few of the Desert Back Cars as they first came out, and I opened them so we could play with them... then I decided to get a set of Desert Backs - it wasn't going to matter if they were DB12 or DB16... until I decided I wanted to complete DB12 and DB16 sets and Movie Moments... many of the ones I purchased were from eBay...

Desert Back fever is contagious and serious... just ask GotFrank... the only cure is to buy them all...

Desert Back 16 Cars:

DB16 DJ and Wingo:

DB16 Nitroade and Leakless:

DB16 Ramone and Dinoco McQueen

DB16 King and Chick Hicks:

DB16 Fillmore and Sheriff (note that Fillmore is spelled correctly on this cardback as well as on the front):

DB16 Mater and Lightning McQueen:

DB16 Doc Hudson and Sally:

DB16 Lizzie and Sheriff:

Desert Back Movie Moments

Red and Stanley:

Luigi, Guido, and Tractor:

Ramone and Flo:

Boost and Snot Rod:

These are the only Cars that were released on the Desert Back cardback... Look for information and photos on additional cardbacks/Cars/sets in the future.
    Last edited by cac1959; 07-15-2011, 01:13 AM. Reason: Added photos

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

I love how the new Cars 2 cardbacks pay homeage to the original Desert backs. My guess is the next series will have nighttime views of Tokyo similar to the Supercharged cardbacks.

signature courtesy of BomBom77
    http://www.pixarcarsdiecast.com/foru...ars-for-trades

Comment

Really good, I am collecting DB cars, so this is really a good reference, thanks, Chris.
      A question, which serial DB are easiest to finish in following 8 serials.

A1/12/1L
      A1/16/1L
      A1/12/2L
      A1/16/2L

A29/12/1L
      A29/16/1L
      A29/12/2L
      A29/16/2L

Comment

flo and ramone for $4.50, come on walt/mattel youve been ripping us brits off for ages, you bass drinkers, both

Comment

Great thread there Chris with some good pictures and some great information

Comment

A friend of mine from Indianapolis got me the 2 Desert Back 2 packs used at store called Once Upon A Child - they sell used toddler/children's clothing, toys, furniture... I believe the original retail prices were $6.99 to $8.99 for 2 packs and $2.99 to $3.99 for the singles... I did not start collecting Desert Backs until long after Mattel had moved onto other cardbacks. Most of my Desert Back Cars came from eBay purchases... I paid $22 for each of my other 2 Movie Moments, and between $10 and $20 each for most of my singles, although I did get a DB Lightning McQueen and 3 other Desert Backs that I already had for $19 shipped - that McQueen was my last DB and it was cheaper to get that one with the other 3 than by itself.

Since I was late getting started on Desert Backs and ended up paying a lot more than retail for them, that's why I've made sure to buy 1 of each Cars2 singles to keep carded.

George - I don't know the answer to your question about the singles... for those of you who don't know the abbreviations:
            A1 = April 1 date in the License to Win area
            A29 = April 29 date in the License to Win area
            12 = Desert Back 12
            16 = Desert Back 16
            2L = Fillmore is the correct spelling on the cardback
            1L = Filmore is the incorrect spelling on the cardback

My guess is that there are more with the April 29 date and more with the correct spelling... I believe there are only 3 without a date... Sarge, Lizzie, and Wingo, and they were limited production.

I bought my first carded Desert Back single for a friend in Texas; she then turned around and bought one herself, so I kept it... then I decided I'd get a set of all singles, not caring if they were DB12 or DB16... and then I was close to being done with both DB12 and DB16 so I got those... and since there were only 4 Movie Moments I got those... it was an obsession... but I have managed to stop without having complete sets of all dates and Filmore/Fillmore spellings... If I saw any Desert Backs in a store at retail or clearance prices I bought them - I did get 3 at a Kohl's for $1.49 each as well as a couple at a Target for $3.49 (lenticular price).

If you do a search for Desert Back Cars on eBay, you can get an idea of what they currently go for... Sarge and Lizzie tend to be the most expensive singles - Sarge due to the Supercharged Sarge lead paint recall, and Lizzie due to the fact that she was only released in Desert Back, Supercharged, and World of Cars in a single Walmart exclusive case, never after that... we'd hoped Lizzie would be released as a Final Lap Target exclusive, but it never happened.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Originally posted by cac1959 View Post
              Removed with it being so long :P
              But great write up there dood! Pays homage to the original Dessert backs, i got mine from America i think, as it was the full collection (Or so i thought) Then realized after that there was both 12 & 16 pack mix, I'm missing most, but luckily like you say in here, i got Sarge and Lizzie, so there the two most expensive ones covered,, the others come through every now and again, but there expensive little items now, i'm so glad i brought some way back when though! Just need to find some extra cash to finish both the collections..

Comment

I knew I should not have opened those Desert Back cars and let my kids play with them...

Comment

I believe Rippers has Desert Back Cars on the International cardback... Perhaps he'll post pictures.

Comment

Working...
                  X