Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Britain & Northern Ireland Finds (2014)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fillmore1234 View Post
    Would you rather see every single person on this thread say something like, "I saw 10 Bessies and 25 Franks at TRU earlier today for just $0.99, but only bought one of each because I'm such a good person!" or would you be OK with the generous people on these forums buying and sending them to members like YOU who would also love to have one??

And I'd bet a lot of money that if you were in those shoes you'd have bought all 35 of them, too.
    Lay off Roger, he's a genuine collector like most of us on here.

I certainly wouldn't even knowing what their value was (in hindsight). But then I'm a collector and not greedy!

A couple of years ago, I was in Disney Store, Oxford Street, London, England. They had 15 Prince Wheeliam's. I must admit that I did break a habit/rule and purchase two of them. In addition to our main collection, my wife has a few for a small collection. Once it became known that I had left 13 Prince Wheeliam's (for other shoppers, collectors, children etc), I got lots of grief from others on here (and other forums) for not buying the lot. Sure, I didn't know I was going to stumble across them (as cars are much rarer in the UK than the US), but if I'd have known there were going to be 15 Prince Wheeliam's I'd have asked if anyone wants them up to a limit, as out of respect for other shoppers, I certainly wouldn't have bough the lot as was suggested. Prince Wheeliam was going for about £20 GBP on eBay UK.

On another occasion, in the same store, I got there at opening time (1000 on a Sunday) not knowing that they open for viewing at 0930. A lady in queue was intending to purchase all seven Becky Wheelin's. The boot was on the other foot. Thankfully, I appealed to her better nature, and she let me have one! She said her spares were all going onto eBay!

I can see both sides of the argument.

On one side, I fully respect that some collectors live in very remote parts of (any) country and rely on other collectors, Amazon or eBay to add to their collections. I know that people like Chris have to drive many miles to their nearest Walmart, Target, TRU etc. They have my sympathy. Buying extras for other collectors in remote parts is wholly justified.

On the other side, there has to be respect for other LOCAL collectors too! How would you feel if you got to a store and someone (in front of you) bought the lot? You'd be gutted! You'd be annoyed! What goes around, comes around!

I'm sure you'll all blame Mattel. There are enough to go around (maybe not in the UK) if some *collectors* leave a few for others when faced with loads of new cars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferris View Post
      I'm curious why you see this as greed...I can't speak for everyone, but I send these to other members at cost. In fact, if you factor in the gas I use driving around, I end up losing money.
      See my post in response to Fillmore1234.

It's intended to be a respectful contribution to the debate.

Most of us are in the same position, not knowing when new cars are going to appear, are there going to be enough to go around etc.

When making multiple purchases, it's very easy to forget there are other LOCAL collectors, who could miss out!

Comment

• It has actually been a long running debate among American collectors too. Many, if not most of us at least started out with the notion that it is polite to leave some for local parents. Over time, what most of us have found, is that whatever we leave is scooped up by Ebay resellers and quickly too. When I run into local parents, I either try to get them to a website like this, or exchange contact info so that they are part of the local collector group that gets them at cost, like Ferris is referring to. The Ebay phenomenon is so rampant here, that is actually very unlikely and unusual that a collector just looking for one or a patent just looking for one would ever find or get that extra that I'm leaving.

I understand how rude it appears. I know because I have bought all 5 of a rarer item to see the angry gaze of the cashier, assuming I am one of the Ebayers. I usually explain the parent coop we have going and the cashiers here understand why we must. No, not everyone here does it that way, but a very large portion of us do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fillmore1234 View Post
          Would you rather see every single person on this thread say something like, "I saw 10 Bessies and 25 Franks at TRU earlier today for just $0.99, but only bought one of each because I'm such a good person!" or would you be OK with the generous people on these forums buying and sending them to members like YOU who would also love to have one??

And I'd bet a lot of money that if you were in those shoes you'd have bought all 35 of them, too.
          Here is your comment on take five: Fillmore1234 says:
          August 17, 2014 at 8:36 am
          Sounds like 2015 is definitely off to a great start! I’ll be scooping up as many Tach O Mints as I can find.

I'm really glad I'm not in your area.

Comment

• Originally posted by CapitalregionNYcarsfan View Post
            Here is your comment on take five: Fillmore1234 says:
            August 17, 2014 at 8:36 am
            Sounds like 2015 is definitely off to a great start! I’ll be scooping up as many Tach O Mints as I can find.

I'm really glad I'm not in your area.
            Does that change the point I'm trying to get across? Sorry if I seem like the worst person in the world.

And if you want to come visit my little town of about 40,000 go right ahead. There's absolutely nothing stopping you. Feel free to come visit the one Walmart and one Kmart I have in a forty mile radius, because when I say, 'I'll be buying as many Tach O Mints as possible' I usually mean three or four at most. That's all that ever makes it here.

Comment

• Nice finds...

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Working...
              X