Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remember? What Cars single or boxed set got you hooked on collecting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remember? What Cars single or boxed set got you hooked on collecting?

Thanks to Silver Frosty for posting a comment in the April 2014 Store Finds thread... I started thinking...In Spotlight On one of the questions asks when you started collecting... but we didn't ask... what Cars item (single or boxed set) got you started collecting?

I know that when my grandson was 4, he got me hooked on Cars... we'd seen the movie at the theater... we were "shopping" at Meijer when he saw a Cars display... the first 4 singles I bought were Supercharged (I think) versions of McQueen, Sally, Sheriff, and Lizzie... I had to buy 2 of each - 1 for me, and 1 for Austin.

I bought a few Cars here and there... but I think what really got me hooked as a collector was buying a Speedway of the South Set... I used a vacation day so I could buy one online through the Hot Wheels Redline Club membership that I bought strictly for that set... It was $362.00 counting the RLC membership, the set, and shipping... at first my wife was furious that I'd sent that much on toy Cars... but within a couple of weeks she asked why I hadn't bought 2... well, they were $362.00 per set.

So we want to know... what Cars items (single or boxed set) got you hooked on collecting Cars?

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Really it was once I had Mcqueen and all the main characters, when I saw there were other characters... I just kept going, never stopped since then. I would of never felt like my collection was complete unless I was able to have them all someday.
    "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

Mary Esgocar & Alexander Hugo with Party Hat

Comment

Way back (During the beginning of the Cars diecasts) I bought a No-Stall launcher.
        Last edited by iopl3887; 04-23-2014, 02:46 AM. Reason: fix

http://carstoys.wikia.com <--My wiki

http://flickr.com/carstoys/ <--My Flickr

Comment

Desert Back DJ and Lightning McQueen were probably what hooked me, especially since they were my very first diecasts I bought. It was about a week before the Desert Back 16 releases came out (Dinoco McQueen, Green Ramone, etc.) in late April 2006. If I recall correctly, they didn't even have Peg space given to them; they were just laying neatly on the shelves above the Radiator Springs town building playlets.

The next day I went back and bought Mater, Sally and a couple others. You can probably guess what happened after.

Comment

I bought the movie with the 4 cars and was immediately hooked

lightning_mcqueen_without_rusteze_sticker_desert_promo.jpg

Comment

I had seen the haulers at a friend's house and kept thinking about getting them. A few years later I saw the Tokyo Spy Mix Up 10 pack at Tru and bought it and every other character TRU had. Then 2 days later returned most of them after I found them cheaper at Wally, haha. Then a money warp began and thousands later...

Comment

Originally posted by carslover View Post
                I bought the movie with the 4 cars and was immediately hooked

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4124[/ATTACH]
                I got hooked by the same thing!
                Kenny, age 13

Visit our diecast Pixar Cars and Planes priceguide and checklist:

http://pixarcarspriceguide.com

Comment

having been buying them since they begun but not really paying much attention,my wife purchased 4 cars(hooman,swift alternator,coriander widetrack and Derek decals dobbs) from a discount store,i found them as she was keeping them as a xmas gift so I went hunting for more,this was my first ever days haul,found in argos here in the uk and were on offer buy one get one free,this what hooked me

Comment

There are some great stories and pictures shared so far... I never knew about the movie and 4 Car set - I may have to look into that... And I remember the days when I could go into a store and find loads of new Cars like in your picture, djjd21... and a sale like a buy 1 get 1 free is always good news.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Though at first I got Cars for my niece after seeing Cars 2 for me it was when I was in Disney Store and I found 3 different Maters. I bought them went back to work to see how many others there were and the hunt began. Somewhere along the way I saw Mattel had way more and I before I know it they are slowly taking over space in totes.

Comment

For Christmas 2011, I remember buying a Chick Hicks & The King for my daughter off of eBay. At the time, there was Cars 2 stuff everywhere and she had characters like McQueen & Mater, but none of the first movie characters were anywhere to be found. It was fun searching through eBay to find the two she wanted.....but I wasn't hooked all the way, yet.

Over the following year, Cars 2 entered the home video rotation and we became familiar with a lot of new characters. As expected, Otis became one of our favorites, since that was (a spelling of) my name. I couldn't understand why I had not seen him in any stores, so I started searching Google for info. My timing was fortuitous, as I stumbled upon sites like CTT and TakeFive just as the infamous case P was being announced. I took the plunge on spending a lot of money (at least what I thought at the time as a new collector), but Santa had a lot of options that year...including an Otis for BOTH my kids, since he was packed 2 to that case. That was what really sparked my collecting fire, with the side benefit being that I started out with two Super Chases as well.

Comment

I knew I was hooked when ordering the Dinoco 400 set from Target through Amazon.com.
                          Mmmmm.... Vinyl Toupee(y)!

Comment

My sons first bday, my mom bought a lmq and mater to put on his cake. Shortly after I found a finn for pretty cheap...and the rest is history lol

Sent from my A620m using Tapatalk

Transformers for Trade
                            Feedback: pixarcarsdiecast.com; cybertron.ca; tfw2005.com; ebay.ca

Comment

I just wanted a Doc Hudson for my son because that was his favorite character. I kept seeing everything but that character at TRU, so I started taking extra trips to get FHH. I did not find him that winter, but by then I was hooked.

Comment

Working...
                              X