Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney - all toys moving from Mattel to Hasbro starting in 2016?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney - all toys moving from Mattel to Hasbro starting in 2016?

Updating a story that I originally posted on September 25, 2014 that toys from the Disney movie Frozen would be moving from Mattel to Hasbro in 2016... the toys merchandising license for all Disney movies is moving to Hasbro from Mattel:

http://www.seibertron.com/transforme...in-2016/31383/

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowat...leaves-mattel/

I'm sure we'll learn more in the coming days and weeks.

While I've not been happy with a lot of things that Mattel has done with the Cars and Planes lines, I don't know much about Hasbro's track record... several members of our PCD Facebook page have mentioned how Hasbro has ruined the Star Wars series.

I don't know about you, but I do not intend to buy many Hasbro 1:55 scale Cars that I already have the Mattel versions of...

I'll add more links to more articles about this as I learn more and ask that you do the same.

Thanks to Elton Lin of our PCD Facebook group for posting this on our Facebook page.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

And what will Mattel do? They could do nothing, trying to diminish the Disney brand before the toys move to Hasbro... or they could make and release everything, trying to flood the market so that collectors won't need to buy the toys from Hasbro because they'll already have the Mattel versions.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Or they could do same ol' same ol' and go out with a wimper. My hope is that it inspires them to really do a great job in 2015. Frank, Bessie, El Materdor, toons toons and more toons.

Give your loyal buyers a big thank you Mattel and do it up right.

Comment

so would it make mattel cars more valuable in the long run then?

Comment

Am i missing something? The articles are mainly talking about the Disney Princess Line which is heavily promoted worldwide ..
          Clearly can see Disney is milking the Princess line as much as possible.

How would that relate to Cars or Planes?

I heard Frank might be back for 2015..... actually might be one of the earlier case for 2015... hmmmm Don't quote me on that. Saying that based on a backdoor distributor had gotten tons of Frank

Comment

Originally posted by wintermelon View Post
            Am i missing something? The articles are mainly talking about the Disney Princess Line which is heavily promoted worldwide ..
            Clearly can see Disney is milking the Princess line as much as possible.

How would that relate to Cars or Planes?
            Yeah I didn't see any info on a move, other than that pertaining to the Princesses.
            I think we may be jumoing the start line here a bit.

Comment

it will be nice if the cars stay with mattel

I wonder if the star wars cars are made by Hasbro since they have the star wars license

Comment

Interesting. Maybe the Star Wars cars were even a trial run with Hasbro. Look what happens when we don't have cars to buy Mattel! Speculation runs rampant!

Comment

more details
                  http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB96949488491447621
                  My collection: http://www.jokibe.forumgratuit.lu/t2...cas-und-victor

Comment

Originally posted by lavictdoukarai View Post
                    you can only read it if you have a subscription

Comment

I was able to find a link to the article that lavictdoukarai posted by searching on Google... for the time being, here's the text, copy and pasted:

By Lisa Bannon Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal
                      Updated Sept. 21, 2000 12:01 a.m. ET

BURBANK, Calif -- Walt Disney Co. dis -0.80% restructured its toy-licensing agreements, splitting the business between rivals Hasbro Inc. has +0.75% and Mattel Inc., mat +2.13% in a decision that seems to benefit both toy companies.

As part of the new agreements, Disney shifted its license for toys based on movies and television properties to Hasbro from Mattel. The deal, which also includes toys for Disney theme parks, hotels and cruise ships, should provide Hasbro with $150 million to $200 million in revenue annually, analysts estimate, and a stable long-term relationship with Disney for the Pawtucket, R.I., toy company.

Disney also renewed Mattel's license for classic Disney characters such as Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh. That deal, which Mattel has had parts of since the 1950s, accounts for about $300 million in annual revenue, analysts estimate. Although neither Mattel, El Segundo, Calif., nor Disney would reveal terms of the renewal, analysts say that it probably includes more favorable terms for Mattel, such as lower fixed payments, increasing the toy maker's future profitability.
                      Another Step

For Disney, the deals represent another step toward rebuilding the company's faltering consumer-products business. For the past 11 years, Disney has had a nearly exclusive relationship with Mattel. Andy Mooney, the new president of Disney Consumer Products Worldwide, said Disney split the business between the two toy rivals to take advantage of both Mattel's strength in preschool toys and branded toys and Hasbro's strength in movie-based programs.

"They're two very strong companies, but in some aspects mirror images of each other in terms of their unique strengths," Mr. Mooney said. He added that Disney expects the restructured licensing program will allow the company "to significantly grow our toy share over the next three to five years."

For Hasbro, the license will provide a steady revenue stream, build international sales and enhance its name recognition at Disney resorts, said Jill Krutick, an analyst at Salomon Smith Barney. Still, movie licensing is a volatile business that has stung Hasbro recently with its Star Wars and Pokemon licenses, Ms. Krutick pointed out. In a research note, she said Hasbro will be teaming up with Disney's "strong track record of film successes." But "the company will continue to face the tricky issue of correctly forecasting licensed product sales," she wrote.

For Mattel, the decision to walk away from part of the Disney business stems from new Chief Executive Robert Eckert's efforts to focus on the company's more profitable businesses. Mr. Eckert has said in the past that certain of its toy-license deals, which include hefty fixed payments as well as royalty payments, weren't favorable for Mattel. Analysts say that because of such high fixed payments, the movie-linked part of the Disney deal often lost money for Mattel. Although Mattel will give up $100 million to $150 million in annual revenue this year, analysts said it should have no effect on Mattel earnings. Mattel generated sales of $5.5 billion in 1999.
                      Peaks and Valleys

With big hits, such as "Lion King," Mattel's entertainment license with Disney once generated as much as $300 million in revenue. But toy products based on Disney's "Hunchback of Notre Dame," and "Dinosaurs" sold badly. "Whenever you deal with entertainment properties you never know how it's going to translate into toys," said Neil Friedman, president of Mattel's Fisher-Price division, adding, "You have big peaks and valleys, depending on the property."

Mr. Eckert, who joined Mattel in May, had said he planned to drop licenses that didn't contribute to Mattel's earnings. "He's following through with the promises he's been making to focus on more profitable businesses and develop more of a cost culture at Mattel," Ms. Krutick said.

-- William Bulkeley and Bruce Orwall contributed to this article.

Many thanks for the link to the article, lavictdoukarai!

So we'll have to wait a little longer to find out specifics... but based on this article, I think Cars and other movie and television toys are going to shift to Hasbro from Mattel.

Comment

That's what i understood too!

Comment

Are you really basing this on a 14-year-old article???

Comment

no, john in missouri!
                            we are searching story of that...and put it in that post to follow the first news posted on the first page...chris has mentionned the date of the article i found
                            Last edited by lavictdoukarai; 10-03-2014, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Unless i am utterly confused. I don't think the 14YO article is related to the recent event.
                              I did a google search and every results from the past fewdays are talking about the Disney Princess line and never memtion about the other lines/products.

Comment

Working...
                              X