How are we not Al from Al's toy barn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are we not Al from Al's toy barn?

I'm willing to hear an argument in our defense, but this morning as I wrestled an Ito San out of an excited 5 year old's grasp and ran to the checkout giggling, I couldn't help but think there might be similarities.

(For those that take a lot of things seriously, the above story may have been embellished on several facts for the sake of presenting a humorous visual)

95% of my collection, I give to my kids to open and play with. Of the remaining 5% that I keep to "collect" for myself, they were almost exclusively from trades and online purchases....so, I am only like 0.5% Al. I have no problem wrestling a car out of you kid's hand to give it to my kid!

Comment

I've given away many Cars to kids (not my own).
      I also gave a fellow collector many Cars after he lost a large chunk of his collection.
      I can't imagine Al giving away 50+ Cars from his collection. I seldom go around clearing out every store of all the juicy stuff. Personally (besides girth & a goatee) don't see much Al in myself.

Comment

I imagine myself more as "The Collector" from the Simpsons.

Comment

Interesting question, Raginpage...

I've never taken a Car from a child in a store... I've given many away... In fact earlier this week my wife brought our 17 month old grandson Liam down to the basement... I gave him an opened Stevenson the Spy Train to play with... inside was the plastic Mater... and then he found a box with Radiator Springs Classics in it and started trying to play with the unopened Fabulous Hudson Hornet... I told my wife to open it for him and he played with it.

I've given away many to the same collector that GotFrank mentioned... I've donated many to charities and used many for contest prizes on PCD... I've sent several with my wife for her to give to a diabetic student as a "reward" for being brave when given a shot... I've purchased many for collectors that might not otherwise have them, most recently the Christmas Cars that I found at Meijer back in 2013.

I'm not in it to make money... I don't even come close to breaking even... I still get a rush when I find something new in a store (happens too rarely these days) or receive a package from a friend or an online purchase.

I've enjoyed meeting several collectors over the years in person and hope to meet more... I'm hoping to go to Cars Land in 2015... I can't see Al from Al's Toy Barn going to Cars Land to enjoy... or pay $8.95 for a single.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

By the way, I hope people understand it as just an attempt at self-deprecating humor. I would never even consider fighting anyone for a toy let alone a child, but the visual is so humorous for me that I can't resist. Having said that, I think at times the temptation is there to exhibit some of his traits. As I thought about Toy Story 2 and his excitement on completing a set, I can't help but think of us. I don't think I have ever been particularly shrewd in conducting a trade, usually the opposite. But in my zeal to have a car that I've wanted for a long time, I feel Al rising up in me. I think in particular Wayne Knight just has the perfect excited kid in a grown man sound to his voice that resonates, even if the character overall is not very nice.

Comment

Early on I used " push down an old lady". As my extreme caricature of in-store misbehavior.

Comment

Mine was "tackling babies" to get what I wanted.

Comment

LOL
                  That is a better visual John!
                  But to make it fair, I'm imagining a six foot tall baby.

Comment

Originally posted by John in Missouri View Post
                    Mine was "tackling babies" to get what I wanted.
                    I remember reading you post that elsewhere, John in Missouri... I always got a chuckle out of it.

GotFrank - pushing down an old lady... egad! That must have been very early - I don't remember reading that...

And Raginpage -I'm sure that almost all of us recognized and appreciated your humor when you started the post... sometimes I take life, including Cars collecting, too seriously.

This has been a fun thread for me to read.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

I ran into a TRU real fast a couple of weeks ago with my 2 1/2 year old son, trying to use a $5 off coupon that was expiring. A Doc Hudson was the best thing that I found and I carefully picked it up without my son noticing and we both went up to the checkout. The cashier started making Halloween conversation with my son, because he was super geeked out about all of the decorations; he'd basically been yelling "Punkins! Schpiders! Schpoooooky!" at the top of his lungs the whole time we were there. I was totally cool with this, because it distracted him from noticing that he wasn't getting anything out of this trip. After she rang me out, the cashier apparently didn't get my evil plan and proceeded to hand Doc directly to my son. There was this awkward moment where I was just staring at her and almost said, "No, no, no, what are you doing? That's not for him, that's for me." The Al in me just couldn't do it, though, thankfully.

Comment

can someone tell me who or what Al is please!

Comment

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=toy+story+al

http://pixar.wikia.com/Al_McWhiggin

Comment

WEll, I am that 5 year old! I don't open mine though. I am advanced... I look through the plastic and envision a play senario! I get pushed down by ebay sellers. I don't mind if another collector or parent or child beats me to the punch. I kinda figure they will get some of the same joy of playing with their find. I have often times helped kids find the very same car I am looking for. Sometimes I have that car behind my back ready for checkout but, at least I helped to find an extra or substitute right?
                            May the Fortune of the Hunt Be With You Jeff/PixarCarsDiecast.com

Comment

the pennys dropped

Comment

Working...
                              X