Respect the Classics: 2015 Amazon 5 pack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the Classics: 2015 Amazon 5 pack

As long as I've been collecting Cars, which goes back to 2006, there have been boxed sets... some have been good boxed sets, and some have been not so good... some boxed sets included only 1 or 2 new Cars out of 4 or 5 or 7... some, such as the TRU Sarge's Boot Camp, included 4... while most of the boxed sets I've purchased were ones that showed the Cars, a few of the more recent sets have featured a nice looking box with carded singles inside... In this installment of Respect the Classics, we'll take a look at a new boxed set that's been available on Amazon.com - the Disney/Pixar Cars Diecast Car Collection.

Here's the link on Amazon - it was $19.99 plus tax with free shipping if the order was over $35.00:
    http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Pixar-C...ds=disney+cars

I think it is a fairly nice looking box... and unlike the new Fire and Rescue 3 pack, my box was in good condition as were the carded Cars inside.

Here's the bottom of the box, including the UPC:

Front and top view:

Back of the box:

I opened mine up to look inside... I figured a $20 set wasn't going to become a $200 set:

If I didn't already have the 5 singles, I would have ordered 2 of these and opened a set for display purposes... Let's take a look at what's in this collection and what makes it a good boxed set.

Determined Lightning McQueen

New Car in the 2015 Piston Cup series... since they included 3 of them in the case, it hasn't been that difficult of a find for me... however, if you don't have Walmart stores close by, which some of our California members don't, you may have ordered the single from Amazon... I like the look of Determined McQueen.

Greg Candyman (Tach O Mint)

Other than the Apple Car, Greg Candyman (Tach O Mint) is the the last Piston Cup racer to be released with plastic tires outside the Speedway of the South set... Many have us have waited a long time for Tach O Mint... This has been a relatively hard Car to find - there was only 1 per case... I've only seen about 4 or 5 of them at Walmart stores as part of the Spring 2015 Easter Bin.

Ryan Shields (View Zeen)

Ryan Shields, better known as View Zeen, has just been released in the 2015 series... View Zeen with plastic tires was released during the first Kmart Cars Collector Event back in 2008... it was also released as a Lightyear Launcher... I didn't really care for the Lightyear Launchers - I prefered the original Pit Row Race-off launchers.

Since I already have View Zeen opened as well as carded from Kmart 1, I just wanted a 2015 single to keep carded... I now have 2 - the one in this set and one that I found at a Walmart store earlier this week.

Ponchy Wipeout (Bumper Save)

Ponchy Wipeout, better known as Bumper Save, was released in the first 2015 singles case... I've yet to see this Car in a store... some of you found it at Walmart, Walgreen's, or Aldi - I never did... I have Bumper Save with plastic tires either from a Team set (with hauler, racer, and Pitty) or a boxed set or a Lightyear Launcher... but I wanted one on 2015 cardback to keep carded.

Bumper Save has been featured on another installment of Respect the Classics.

Kevin Racingtire (Shifty Drug)

Kevin Racingtire, also known as Shifty Drug, was released in the first 2015 singles case as the same red Car that he's always been... Shifty Drug has been released as a Pit Row Race-off launcher and a Lightyear Launcher as well as in a Target 4 pack... I never saw the red Shifty Drug single in a store until the case turned up at Aldi 2 weeks before Easter 2015... when I learned from Scavenger that Shifty Drug had finally been released in the correct color, pink - I was excited... displaying the correct color Shifty Drug next to the hauler is going to look nice in the display case... and as we've shown from screen caps from the Cars movie, Shifty Drug is pink:

There is no poster in the pink Amazon Shifty Drug single... there is a poster in the pink Shifty Drug found in Walmart this spring.

Here's a picture showing all 3 2015 singles releases of Shifty Drug:

(Left to right: red Shifty Drug, Amazon pink Shifty Drug, pink Shifty Drug with poster.

In Conclusion

Why do I feel this is a very good boxed set? Let's summarize:

New releases: Determined Lightning McQueen and correct color (pink) Kevin Racingtire (Shifty Drug)
    First plastic tire release: Greg Candyman (Tach O Mint)
    First release as a single: Ponchy Wipeout (Bumper Save)

Ryan Shields (View Zeen) was the only one of the 5 Cars that had previously been released as a single, and if you started collecting after Kmart 1, you didn't have View Zeen as a single.

4 out of the 5 Cars appealed to me a lot, and the 5th appeals to me as well... that sure beats some of the 5 packs that only included 1 new Car... and hopefully that trend continues but we'll have to see.

I'll try to add some photos of the opened Cars from this set later, only they won't actually be the Cars from the singles packs in this boxed set.

That wraps up this installment of Respect the Classics... As always, thank you for reading... I appreciate your comments.

Chris

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Great article!
    Youtube Channel RCcars5 | Google Plus Community Disney Cars & Planes Community

Comment

Nice article.
      I'm glad I ordered the box set, not only did it get me Ryan & Ponchy, but it's in a nice box as well. I bought a second Ryan Shields today at Walmart- to have one loose.

Comment

Working...
      X