Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedway of the South Set - Apple iCar Paint Problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedway of the South Set - Apple iCar Paint Problems?

As posted by Met on TakeFiveADay earlier this week... there appear to be some issues developing with the paint on Apple iCars from the Speedway of the South set:

http://www.takefiveaday.com/2015/09/...ple-car-alert/

http://www.takefiveaday.com/2015/09/...lert-code-red/

The Apple iCar is the only Car from the Speedway of the South set that has not been officially released by Mattel outside the Speedway of the South set... I've seen pictures from the 2 links above, and there definitely appears to be paint issues with some of them... I'll have to check mine..

There are some backdoor versions that have been released... there are some great custom Apple Cars that have been made by customizers... but the legitimate Apple Car (#84) from the SOTS set... seeing pictures showing paint issues is definitely unsettling.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Yes, pictures of the second post are mine. I noticed this trouble in 2012, took pictures and posted them on the french forum. I thought I was the only one but Met received pictures of another Apple Car so I sent him my 2012 pictures. I have sent him a new pictures on which you can see that 3 years later, things are slowly but surely getting worse...
    When I saw that, I decided to try to get another Apple Car and in 2013, I had the pivilege to find one with Tachomint too. This other Apple Car is still brand new with no defect:
    http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/13/45/36/69/apple10.jpg
    Last edited by David Vincent; 09-03-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Both have the same factory code, I assume?

I've heard of a SotS set Mood Springs having similar paint problems.
      Not good.

Comment

My iCar has the same problems

This car from МSOTS. The number "7" as the original version.

Comment

Ah yes you were the other SOTS owner who had posted about this. I knew I had heard about it somewhere, but forgot. Thanks for posting pics, and sorry your Apple went rotten on ya.

Comment

Wow, so from reading the T5AD links it seems like all the apple i-cars which are rare enough as it is.. may eventually.. corrode beyond recognition? Turn to dust?.. go extinct. That's a bummer.
            "I'm a paderbuilt for dags sake!"

Comment

My apple iCar is a fake. Kind of glad he is seeing all the people who have issues with their cars. But nonetheless, still a cool car in my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by brownsfan1092 View Post
                My apple iCar is a fake. Kind of glad he is seeing all the people who have issues with their cars. But nonetheless, still a cool car in my collection.
                I would NEVER wish for anyone to have problems with any Cars in their collections... In addition to my Speedway of the South iCar, I also have several customs.

And in a follow up post, it appears that the paint problems are with more than just the Apple Car... I am going to have to take a look at my set in more detail... Mattel could end up being sued by people who bought a Speedway of the South set if the Cars no longer meet the high quality.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Yeah was kinda hoping that was a poor or accidental choice of words.

Comment

The way I read brownsfan1092's post is that he's relieved he's bought a fake rather then spending a lot more on the real thing rather than wishing problems on other people.

Maybe Mattel will claim these cars were produced to be played with and only regular exposure to sticky, greasy child fingers will protect their paintwork.

Comment

Originally posted by yuffie View Post
                      Maybe Mattel will claim these cars were produced to be played with and only regular exposure to sticky, greasy child fingers will protect their paintwork.
                      LOL sounds true to form.

Comment

Originally posted by CarsDiecast08 View Post
                        Wow, so from reading the T5AD links it seems like all the apple i-cars which are rare enough as it is.. may eventually.. corrode beyond recognition? Turn to dust?.. go extinct. That's a bummer.

At least they can be used to make custom Nitroade's now.

Comment

Shifty Drug would be easier, white rims.

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
                            Shifty Drug would be easier, white rims.
                            + No Stall to get the part under the car black instead of grey.

Comment

Working...
                            X