Spotlight On: DaFickser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlight On: DaFickser

It's been a long time... but it's back... up now on Spotlight On... from Amsterdam, DaFickser (Rhalf)

1. What is the story behind your PCD screen name?
    The screen name, DaFickser, comes from the time I started with our previous business. I started a bicycle shop in 2000, internet was so much 'smaller' in those days and with all kind of new ideas. The idea was having a 'page-website' for custom chopper bicycle building, get a group together and buy together to save money. There was no bicycle shop selling anything I needed for my bicycles. I would arrange the shipping etc., hence somebody who 'fixed' thing...so this way I came to the name DaFickser. Our business was Fickser import/export and was the start of The Chopperdome (shop).

2. Where are you from / where do you live now?
    I'm born In Amsterdam...and guess what I still spend my days there

3 and 4. When did you start collecting Cars? Why did you start collecting Cars?
    A few months after the first movie came out. Had bicycle business contacts in California and while there for business, we had some free time to spend with our, at that time 2/3 year old, son in Disneyland. That's where we bought the first 10-12 cars...and bought some more in the days after. He was hooked and so was I Coming back from the US and our son being/becoming a big fan it was hard to resist buying new ones we saw. To keep up with items only Target/Walmart I spend time on eBay, and money in those days.
    He really liked playing with them, and it was fun to watch him making/creating his own stories. It was so different from the days I was young, when cars didn't have a character/personality and only used to race or crash. Now cars talked with each other.

5. How many cars (roughly) do you currently have?
    About 800+ cars/planes/toon etc I guess, miss some 'variants' and some cars, but still a pretty 'complete' openers collection to our own standards.

6. Which diecast car is your favourite (only one allowed)?
    My favorite die cast car, choices to be made here as I like the collection as a whole, maybe not every LMQ or Mater, but having them displayed around the house as we have they just make me happy, all those eyes looking at you. So it's hard to just call one, but Han (Ramone) is carbonite is one that comes to mind everytime.

7. Which car (from the movie) is your favourite, and why?
    Favorite character from the movie. Again a difficult question as without LMQ and Mater there wouldn't be a story to tell and picking a car I just like because I like the diecast ain't the answer either. I like the passion of Luigi, having his shop filled with quality products he loves to sell. A little passion for what you do or try to sell is good. I hate it walking in to a shop and the person that works there doesn't know anything about what he or she is selling. I would buy tires at Luigi's shop. Support your local business.

8. What has been your best ever find?
    Being in Europe there isn't much to find these days when looking for cars. So my best find is the group of people that helps me to get the cars we need to keep collection 'complete'. Thanks But I guess wasn't unlucky picking up an Big AL from Ebay for $85 (plus shipping) just after D23, the other RV's would miss this guy

9. What car(s) do you currently own?
    We (my wife drives the car) own a Peugeot 106 (1997) ...don't really care about what car we own. Bicycles is the way to get somewhere in Amsterdam

10. What is your dream car?
    Dream car...as said I'm not really into cars. Do like design though and some super sport cars are worth looking at, but still to own one, not my thing. I think my dream car would be RV with some fun gadgets.

11. What do you do for a day job?
    We run a B&B, as you might have guessed, in Amsterdam. www.bedandbreakfastamsterdamwest.nl That's our everyday business, but also have a small playground/toyshop where I try to resell the extras from the cases I buy from Eli (at GetMeCollectibles) to be sure to get hold of certain models. www.kidspitstop.nl

12. Other than Cars Collecting, do you have any hobbies?
    While answering these questions I listen to http://soulshow.nl/listen/, and like our audio/hifi set with turntables. yep, vinyl junkie And of course cycling, I'm part of a worldwide bicycleclub. Or better a drinking club with a bicycle problem We still have a some unique bicyles, once a bigger collection, but space is always an issue when collecting. Have some picture here: http://www.bedandbreakfastamsterdamw...le-collection/

13. What is your greatest ever achievement?
    Greatest achievement is seeing our son grow up into the person he will become. But not an achievement as in sports, when a lot of effort has to be made, it's fun to see and be part of it. He is 12 year old now, deep into Minecraft of course, but still loves his collection as it is his collection, I'm just the appointed collection manager and what a great job that is.

14. What is your favourite ever TV show and favourite ever movie?
    Can't really name one favorite, same as with music. I like funk and disco music, but nothing beats Frank in the morning. There is some great Dutch artists. But sometimes you need some rock or punk music. I like how John Travolta walks in saturday night fever, but he's great in Pulp Fiction. Classic moves in Grease. With a son called Yoda you can also be sure Star Wars is something we like. But when 25 years ago someone would ask me about favorite movie I would say Casablanca, so Casablanca it is.

15. If you won "Who wants to be a millionaire", what would you do with the money?
    Winning a million. Life is too short not to spend it at once, long travels are out of the question with Yoda still being in school. So let's see how to spend it within a year Home improvements $100.000, as the euro is about the same as $ now I will use $, $50.000 to take the rest of the year off (close B&B for a year) so work can be done on the house ...this is not going fast enough LOL so make an offer on the house of our neighbor to gain a garage for the bicycles and extra space. I assume he will move out for $450.000. Adding another 50.000 for improvements leaving me with 350.000 to party and travel a bit
    $50.000 for party with bicycle friends and $50.000 for party with cars collectors from around the world. Then might need to fill a few gaps in collection and while having more space expand record collection But that just a few thousand spend. So 240K to go, probably on art/painting/sculpture/design.

Have a fun X-mas and happy cars hunting 2016
    Regards
    Rhalf

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

It's great to learn more about you, Rhalf... I enjoy seeing your pictures on the PCD website and on the PCD Facebook Group as well... Great story behind how you got started collecting Cars...

I fully agree with what you say about supporting your local and small businesses... customer service isn't nearly as important to many of the larger retail chains, whether it's toy Cars and Planes or larger household items... putting a toy car that's bigger (counting the packaging/cardback) than the box it's sent in is not customer service.

Well said on finding a group of people that share your love of Cars and help you get them for Yoda's collection... While there are some just out to make a quick buck, I feel we've got many people who are interested in helping others.

And if I ever get a passport and travel outside of the US, I know where I'd stay if visiting The Netherlands.

I am cac1959... I am a Cars-a-holic... and a proud supporter of Nathan's Playroom

Comment

Good to know there's a B&B I can stay at if I ever find myself in Amsterdam... I would love to have an RSDDA european convention. My youngests son (7 years old) is nuts about Minecraft too. Great to find out some more nuances of Rhalf. Hope you and your have a great X-mas!

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
        ...I would love to have an RSDDA european convention....
        ?? RSDDA ?? Radiator Springs Disney Die Cast Association?

Anatomical illustrations by Jake Parker

Comment

bout ye rhalf, interesting stuff, may have to pay yer b and b a visit next time we are over,
          heading to apeldoorn in may for the start of the giro,so hopefully i,ll something cars wise
          jj
          boogity

Comment

Originally posted by DaFickser View Post
            ?? RSDDA ?? Radiator Springs Disney Die Cast Association?
            Radiator Springs Downtown Development Association.

A group of literally tens of people. Devoted to building models for Disney PIXAR Cars.

Comment

@boogity
              Start of the Giro, nice Had a look for the dates, but we are already fully booked. But maybe we can meet up if you make a stop in Amsterdam.

Comment

Originally posted by GotFrank View Post
                Radiator Springs Downtown Development Association.

A group of literally tens of people. Devoted to building models for Disney PIXAR Cars.
                Ahhh, now that would be something. I tryed to get some (euro) collectors together/meeting up through facebook, december last year. Andy from Belgium showed up, but furthermore hardly any interest. But will keep trying and set up another one this year in december probably.

Comment

Working...
                X